Improving shoulder development

Reaction score
I wanna get my shoulders larger. what's your opinion on ROM and reps. I read somewhere heavy weight at low reps did wonders for shoulders but everyone isn't the same. What do some of you guys do for large shoulders

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well first I tried one of those head shrinking witch doctors. That didn't work.

Then I did heavy dumbbell overhead press in the 5 to 7 rep range super set to side and rear laterals.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score

been doing these after push press every other week. ****ing absolutely love them.

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
In honor of your avatar... Arnold presses

aka Arnolds

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Seated dumbbell presses down only to parallel and no lock out on top, superset with seated side laterals. 5-8 reps on the presses, 10-12 reps on the laterals.

Reactions: Rip

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

been doing these after push press every other week. ****ing absolutely love them.

John Meadows always has some interesting new way to torture himself/clients. I like his style.

Reaction score
Seated dumbbell presses down only to parallel and no lock out on top, superset with seated side laterals. 5-8 reps on the presses, 10-12 reps on the laterals.

this is exactly what I've started doing the past two weeks or so

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Ronnie Coleman wore the gayest gloves u can buy. Haha

shenky

Reaction score
Hey, slight change of topic. I can't do anything overhead; is maximum growth still possible?

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Hey, slight change of topic. I can't do anything overhead; is maximum growth still possible?
I'm going to have to say "no" to max. growth. Obviously some movements incorporate the shoulders to some degree, but without an overhead lift, seems tough to get full stimulation. jmo

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I always do them i the 8-12 range(hypertrophy range). When I can do 12, time to raise the weight. My problem that once I got past 80lbs dumbbells, I needed someone to help me get them up to shoulder level.
Also, a lot of people don't do lateral raises right. Some people are sad to watch. LOL. They externally rotate, or they use momentum. If you're need to do that, you're going too heavy.
They only work if they're done right.
I do 40, 45, and 50 right now.
My avatar is a pic with my shoulders 14 years ago. I've gained 25 pounds since.

shenky

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say "no" to max. growth. Obviously some movements incorporate the shoulders to some degree, but without an overhead lift, seems tough to get full stimulation. jmo

It seems to me that lateral raises and side raises target the same areas of the shoulder, though. Damn, I seriously miss military pressing; shoulders were goddamn my favorite muscle group to work.

Any other insight into this, fellas? No overhead pressing = less stimulation?

shenky

Reaction score
I always do them i the 8-12 range(hypertrophy range). When I can do 12, time to raise the weight. My problem that once I got past 80lbs dumbbells, I needed someone to help me get them up to shoulder level.
Also, a lot of people don't do lateral raises right. Some people are sad to watch. LOL. They externally rotate, or they use momentum. If you're need to do that, you're going too heavy.
They only work if they're done right.
I do 40, 45, and 50 right now.
My avatar is a pic with my shoulders 14 years ago. I've gained 25 pounds since.

Impressive shoulder development, Rip! Lateral raises are done incorrectly constantly at my gym. If you have to swing or use momentum to move the weight for all of your reps, you need to use less mofo weight

Reactions: Rip

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My shoulder routine consist of 2 mass exercises like behind the neck military shoulder presses and seated dumbbell military presses, my minimum are 4 reps. Then I do 2 exercises for rear delts and 2 for middle delts.

shenky

Reaction score
My shoulder routine consist of 2 mass exercises like behind the neck military shoulder presses and seated dumbbell military presses, my minimum are 4 reps. Then I do 2 exercises for rear delts and 2 for middle delts.

It's my understand that there's no advantage to going behind the neck.

Rip

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's my understand that there's no advantage to going behind the neck.
You hit less front Deltoid.
Even with dumbbells, it's best to keep the elbows back, less toward the front. You'll hit all three heads better.
Also, I see this so often and it drives me crazy: When doing posterior delta, it's important to keep the arms at shoulder level(in line with the shoulders). I see a lot of guys not doing that.

New Threads