Help me get on a fat burning lifestyle

Reaction score
OK so I have already made my intro and posted up stats. But just for the sake of this post I'll do it again.

I'm 5'9 just weighed myself this morning and checked in at 195. Currently working out 4x a week and its more of a whole body workout every workout. As in its not the arm day, leg day deal. Just to give an example this is what Mon is. All workouts are 3x10
Squat
Dumbbell bench press
Pullup
Dumbbell deadlift (looking at doing replacing this with a barbell deadlift)
Dumbbell lat raise
Hammer curl
Tricep push down
Bicycle crunch

I have to say I have really been enjoying the workouts so far cause theresb only two lifts that get repeated.

Diet has been pretty much the same for the last year. For the most part its high protein low carb no sugars and some fruits and vegs thrown in. An good example is what I have packed this morning in my lunch box.

This morning I ate 3 bacon, 4 eggs 2 cups of coffee and I usually have a protein shake to help fill me up (syntha 6)
10 snack is a variety of nuts and a banana.
Noon is slow cooked pork with BBQ and broccoli and cheese
3 snack is Atkins bar and celery, carrots pb
Preworkout (head to gym straight from work) is just another Atkins bar and no xplode

italian1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There's some dieting guys that im sure will chime in soon. Take there advice. A lot of guys on here really know there stuff. Me personally. I say it's all about calories in and calories out. I am now playing around with the if it fits your macros thing or the flexible diet. But there are many different ways to go about achieving your goals. Just have to find what works for you and what you can stay consistent with

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ever try recording what you eat in an app that will tell you what your macro's are?

Reaction score
Ok. Sound idea. Stupid question though. What EXACTLY are macros?

Surfliftsleep

Reaction score
Ok. Sound idea. Stupid question though. What EXACTLY are macros?

Protein/carbs/fats. You need to know what your daily macros are bro to be able to maintain, bulk or cut. Pleanty of stickies here to show you how to work it out.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ever try recording what you eat in an app that will tell you what your macro's are?

^^ THIS ^^ Check-out MyFitnessPal.com and start with just logging what you eat. The app will show your macros. Post them here and we can provide suggestions.

The full autopilot solution would be to get with Spongy (Helios Nutrition) and let him create a diet plan that is specific to your body and your goals. Money well-spent, IME.

anewguy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use an app called "Lose it!" Works like a champ

Reaction score
Holy hell. I was bored today so I downloaded the myfitnesspal app that I haven't used in awhile and my breakfast alone was 610 calories. And all it is is 4 eggs 3 bacon.

Reaction score
That isn't including my post workout shake or preworkout or dinner. I just put in what I usually take to work with me

meat

Reaction score
Since I consider food 70%+ of the game, I'd personally recommend hiring someone who specializes in bodybuilding nutrition, and contest prep. After that, you'll have quite an education, and will be head and shoulders above 95% of the people in your gym.

Hotmess

Lady Member
Reaction score
The calories my fitness pal computed for me are off by a few hundred. Check out iifym.com you can calc it there with more precision. And it will give you a great breakdown of your carbs your protein and your fats.

Reaction score
Wow awesome suggestion thanks!

Calculated it in and it says that my TDEE is 2579. In order to have fat loss I need to keep it to 2192 calories per day.

35% fat 25% carbs 40% protein

Hotmess

Lady Member
Reaction score
Wow awesome suggestion thanks!

Calculated it in and it says that my TDEE is 2579. In order to have fat loss I need to keep it to 2192 calories per day.

35% fat 25% carbs 40% protein

Is that your main focus right now? Fat loss?
If nothing else right now start making an effort to keep track of your calories and eat as clean as possible. Iifym will allow you to enjoy things you want just in moderation. It really will hurt your feelings to see how many calories the skin on a piece of chicken is costing you. I have lost about 8lbs or so and recalculated my macros and Yippee I get almost 150 extra calories. That's like a kit Kat lol..
Your workout reminds me of this workout I tried which was for gaining mass. It was 3days a week- full body workout- 12 different exercises- the reps fluctuated weekly from 2 sets of 8 -12 and you lifted 80% of your max with concentration and extremely slow reps. The main emphasis was on recovery. It hurt. I didn't like it .. I looked like a lil bitch curling 10lbs and people waiting on my machine would be like*wtf lol..

Reaction score
Is that your main focus right now? Fat loss?
If nothing else right now start making an effort to keep track of your calories and eat as clean as possible. Iifym will allow you to enjoy things you want just in moderation. It really will hurt your feelings to see how many calories the skin on a piece of chicken is costing you. I have lost about 8lbs or so and recalculated my macros and Yippee I get almost 150 extra calories. That's like a kit Kat lol..
Your workout reminds me of this workout I tried which was for gaining mass. It was 3days a week- full body workout- 12 different exercises- the reps fluctuated weekly from 2 sets of 8 -12 and you lifted 80% of your max with concentration and extremely slow reps. The main emphasis was on recovery. It hurt. I didn't like it .. I looked like a lil bitch curling 10lbs and people waiting on my machine would be like*wtf lol..

Ya that's pretty much what my focus is right now. I mean obviously I'd like to get stronger, which I am, I just did a 1RM day this last Saturday to see how I had improved and it was pretty shocking.

woodswise

Reaction score
Logging my food and hitting my macros and Kcal targets day in and day out, has been the key to me losing 35lbs since January 1 and not losing much strength at all. You will find as you progress, your weight loss will be very fast the first few weeks (5 to 10 lbs in a couple weeks), then will slow. You lose more initially because your body is shedding water as the glycogen stored in your muscles is shed (glycogen attracts water into the muscles). After the first couple weeks, 2 lbs to 1 lb per week is ideal. More than that and you will start losing muscle. Less and you aren't cutting hard enough. Over time, your daily maintenance requirements will decrease, and you will have to adjust your macros downward.

One thing some guys do when their fat loss slows and if cutting further does not work, is to have a re-feed day or weekend where they eat maintenance levels of kcals. Some build that in as a matter of course. My diet right now has no re-feed days. But my diet is dialed in and my fat loss has not slowed except after the intitial water loss.

I expect you are dieting while eating mostly protein and carbs. With that diet (i.e. a diet with carbs included), you should keep your fats below 100g per day, and possbily lower.

I am currently dieting while eating protein and fats (a ketogenic diet). On this diet it is best to eat mostly protein and fats, cutting carbs almost completely out of the diet. I am getting fewer than 30g of carbs at the moment. To go that low, the only veggie I eat is a green salad once per day. I get no sugars, fruits, grains or veggies. It is challenging, but an excellent diet if you get it right. I am eating 150g or more of fat per day. The more fat I eat (in this range), the faster my fatloss.