Bench with belt, or no belt

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
Alright PL guys, the question is pretty straight forward. To bench with a belt, or not. Is this purely a matter of preference, or a must? I've tried it with a full size comp style belt (4" all the way around) and felt a lil restricted on my arch. And I've tried it with a cheaper, smaller regular weightlifting belt, 4" in the back and tapers down in the front, and felt like I was able to arch a lil better with it. If benching with the bigger belt is better then I will keep using it and adjust. Wanna hear from guys with more experience than I.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You need a belt if you are benching equipped. But raw wouldnt require a belt. I dont wear one when I bench raw.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ive worn one to bench raw but not enough to say it does or doesnt help.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I used to use a belt but don't anymore. Don't see the need and I've lifted some heavy Weights before. I don't arch my back though.

I guess if u use alot of leg drive while benching then ican see a belt keeping u tighter .

Trauma RN

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
what does RAW mean? :32 (6): Im sorry I don't know.....

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
For me wearing a belt raw on my last 2 or 3 working sets is a good thing I use it like I would to pull or squat and doing so it helps my stability, ability to stay tight and leg drive.

While I am pushing my abs against the belt it helps me drive my legs harder into the ground but I wear it tight.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I use a narrow belt just for benching its a 2 inch wide belt. The wide one takes away from my arch.
Does it help? I'd say yes, it helps me remember to push my stomach up against the belt.
Just my .02

Last edited:

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I bench raw and wear the same belt I squat with and DL with. And I wear that bitch tight as hell. obviously not on the lighter sets but when I get heavy I want to be able to swallow a big breath of air and push out on my belt with my abs like SFG said. keeps me good and tight feeling.

#TheMatrix

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
With my own gym I work out shirtless.....no w.o gear exept for drol and dbol pre w.o

Reaction score
Mate, I used to wear my belt all of the time, every session. It made me feel somehow bigger and stronger and gave me enthusiasm. Now that I have grown, the muscles I now have make me feel enthusiastic enough because of the squeezes I can now get a hold of. My "sensible" brain tells me I should still wear my belt on back day for bent-over work, but I'm hurting my back with dead lifts while wearing the belt anyways so I think the "it's for support so you don't hurt yourself" reasoning is a bit of a myth.

If you wanna bench with a belt, go for it! But remember to WORK YOUR CHEST, don't rely on being able to push out your guts on a sooper tight belt to deliver your power. Bring the bar all the way down to stretch the muscle then push the bar up as high as you can and squeeze at the top. Kai Greene teaches the stretch and squeeze philosophy and I reckon it works. When I begin each rep (contraction) I'm thinking of how can I go from the stretch position to call on the muscle bulk to deliver me a bigger and bigger squeeze.

For benching, elbows in.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
If your using a belt on bench then your prob one of the guys doing incline bench with his ass 15 inches raised off the seat. I see no need for a belt on bench. The idea has never even crossed my mind until now.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Mate, I used to wear my belt all of the time, every session. It made me feel somehow bigger and stronger and gave me enthusiasm. Now that I have grown, the muscles I now have make me feel enthusiastic enough because of the squeezes I can now get a hold of. My "sensible" brain tells me I should still wear my belt on back day for bent-over work, but I'm hurting my back with dead lifts while wearing the belt anyways so I think the "it's for support so you don't hurt yourself" reasoning is a bit of a myth.

If you wanna bench with a belt, go for it! But remember to WORK YOUR CHEST, don't rely on being able to push out your guts on a sooper tight belt to deliver your power. Bring the bar all the way down to stretch the muscle then push the bar up as high as you can and squeeze at the top. Kai Greene teaches the stretch and squeeze philosophy and I reckon it works. When I begin each rep (contraction) I'm thinking of how can I go from the stretch position to call on the muscle bulk to deliver me a bigger and bigger squeeze.

For benching, elbows in.

Did you read the first 3 words of the mans thread?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If your using a belt on bench then your prob one of the guys doing incline bench with his ass 15 inches raised off the seat. I see no need for a belt on bench. The idea has never even crossed my mind until now.

That's kind of rude if you ask me. Your a pretty new guy around here and I was starting to like you until you went and opened your mouth on this one.
The first words of Wides thread are asking the PLer for advise. If your not a PLer then why answer?
It appears like you are trying to look down at the man for asking a question that you clearly have no fukking business answering

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I will sorta give PF a bit of benefit of the doubt. 99% of guys in the gym don't need a belt to do their bench routine of 185 x 10 for a set. Or when they do their tri push downs and curls. Belts are abused.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
That's kind of rude if you ask me. Your a pretty new guy around here and I was starting to like you until you went and opened your mouth on this one.
The first words of Wides thread are asking the PLer for advise. If your not a PLer then why answer?
It appears like you are trying to look down at the man for asking a question that you clearly have no fukking business answering

I meant no disrespect. Wife had me in a bad mood I guess it shown through. So no OP unless your lower back is involved in the lift (which it should not be on bench) then a belt is not going to be nessesasy. Of course I'm sure some like it because it probably just makes you feel more solid and in turn may help your lift. But def not nessesary.

goodfella

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you have a belt, USE IT! If you dont, owell.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
I will sorta give PF a bit of benefit of the doubt. 99% of guys in the gym don't need a belt to do their bench routine of 185 x 10 for a set. Or when they do their tri push downs and curls. Belts are abused.

I appriciate the vote of confidence :) I will make a conservative effort to only be positive. However when I work out hard, as I am now, I get a 100% rise in libido and aggression. Natural GH! lol

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i wear 1 when i go heavy, but i am old.

New Threads