Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1
    Elite widehips71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Balls Deep
    Posts
    1,512
    Thanks
    1,014
    Thanked 983 Times in 526 Posts

    Bench with belt, or no belt

    Alright PL guys, the question is pretty straight forward. To bench with a belt, or not. Is this purely a matter of preference, or a must? I've tried it with a full size comp style belt (4" all the way around) and felt a lil restricted on my arch. And I've tried it with a cheaper, smaller regular weightlifting belt, 4" in the back and tapers down in the front, and felt like I was able to arch a lil better with it. If benching with the bigger belt is better then I will keep using it and adjust. Wanna hear from guys with more experience than I.
    StrengthFirst

  2. #2
    E-Fighter Extraordinaire Joliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Deep South...
    Posts
    2,715
    Thanks
    2,312
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,444 Posts
    You need a belt if you are benching equipped. But raw wouldnt require a belt. I dont wear one when I bench raw.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joliver For This Useful Post:

    widehips71 (03-04-2014)

  4. #3
    Elite Big Worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,378
    Thanks
    488
    Thanked 921 Times in 411 Posts
    Ive worn one to bench raw but not enough to say it does or doesnt help.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Worm For This Useful Post:

    widehips71 (03-04-2014)

  6. #4
    UG BENCH KING ECKSRATED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    8,670
    Thanks
    4,254
    Thanked 8,920 Times in 4,402 Posts
    I used to use a belt but don't anymore. Don't see the need and I've lifted some heavy Weights before. I don't arch my back though.

    I guess if u use alot of leg drive while benching then ican see a belt keeping u tighter .

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKSRATED For This Useful Post:

    widehips71 (03-04-2014)

  8. #5
    Trusted Lady Trauma RN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    738
    Thanks
    901
    Thanked 418 Times in 238 Posts
    what does RAW mean? Im sorry I don't know.....

  9. #6
    Elite. SFGiants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In A Vagina
    Posts
    6,332
    Thanks
    4,764
    Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,183 Posts
    For me wearing a belt raw on my last 2 or 3 working sets is a good thing I use it like I would to pull or squat and doing so it helps my stability, ability to stay tight and leg drive.

    While I am pushing my abs against the belt it helps me drive my legs harder into the ground but I wear it tight.
    Knock Em Down and Keep Em Down!

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SFGiants For This Useful Post:

    AlphaD (03-04-2014),ECKSRATED (03-04-2014),heavydeads83 (03-04-2014),widehips71 (03-04-2014)

  11. #7
    Elite Tren4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    living the dream
    Posts
    5,067
    Thanks
    7,406
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 2,152 Posts
    I use a narrow belt just for benching its a 2 inch wide belt. The wide one takes away from my arch.
    Does it help? I'd say yes, it helps me remember to push my stomach up against the belt.
    Just my .02
    Last edited by Tren4Life; 03-04-2014 at 04:42 AM.
    traps are the new abs.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tren4Life For This Useful Post:

    AlphaD (03-04-2014),widehips71 (03-04-2014)

  13. #8
    Elite Tren4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    living the dream
    Posts
    5,067
    Thanks
    7,406
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Originally Posted by Trauma RN View Post
    what does RAW mean? Im sorry I don't know.....
    Raw means no lifting gear. No squat briefs or bench shirt.
    traps are the new abs.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tren4Life For This Useful Post:

    Trauma RN (03-04-2014)

  15. #9
    Elite heavydeads83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ga
    Posts
    2,141
    Thanks
    1,266
    Thanked 1,202 Times in 640 Posts
    I bench raw and wear the same belt I squat with and DL with. And I wear that bitch tight as hell. obviously not on the lighter sets but when I get heavy I want to be able to swallow a big breath of air and push out on my belt with my abs like SFG said. keeps me good and tight feeling.

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heavydeads83 For This Useful Post:

    SFGiants (03-04-2014),widehips71 (03-04-2014)

  17. #10
    Elite stonetag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Great Northwest
    Posts
    7,330
    Thanks
    7,519
    Thanked 6,066 Times in 3,286 Posts
    Originally Posted by Trauma RN View Post
    what does RAW mean? Im sorry I don't know.....
    Just you and weight baby!

  18. #11
    Elite #TheMatrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Suburbia
    Posts
    2,525
    Thanks
    421
    Thanked 719 Times in 499 Posts
    With my own gym I work out shirtless.....no w.o gear exept for drol and dbol pre w.o
    "my balls are the size of grapes and I still bust fat nuts" -coltmc4545

  19. #12
    Member scott_vass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mate, I used to wear my belt all of the time, every session. It made me feel somehow bigger and stronger and gave me enthusiasm. Now that I have grown, the muscles I now have make me feel enthusiastic enough because of the squeezes I can now get a hold of. My "sensible" brain tells me I should still wear my belt on back day for bent-over work, but I'm hurting my back with dead lifts while wearing the belt anyways so I think the "it's for support so you don't hurt yourself" reasoning is a bit of a myth.

    If you wanna bench with a belt, go for it! But remember to WORK YOUR CHEST, don't rely on being able to push out your guts on a sooper tight belt to deliver your power. Bring the bar all the way down to stretch the muscle then push the bar up as high as you can and squeeze at the top. Kai Greene teaches the stretch and squeeze philosophy and I reckon it works. When I begin each rep (contraction) I'm thinking of how can I go from the stretch position to call on the muscle bulk to deliver me a bigger and bigger squeeze.

    For benching, elbows in.
    Using Tapatalk

  20. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
    If your using a belt on bench then your prob one of the guys doing incline bench with his ass 15 inches raised off the seat. I see no need for a belt on bench. The idea has never even crossed my mind until now.

  21. #14
    Elite Tren4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    living the dream
    Posts
    5,067
    Thanks
    7,406
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Originally Posted by scott_vass View Post
    Mate, I used to wear my belt all of the time, every session. It made me feel somehow bigger and stronger and gave me enthusiasm. Now that I have grown, the muscles I now have make me feel enthusiastic enough because of the squeezes I can now get a hold of. My "sensible" brain tells me I should still wear my belt on back day for bent-over work, but I'm hurting my back with dead lifts while wearing the belt anyways so I think the "it's for support so you don't hurt yourself" reasoning is a bit of a myth.

    If you wanna bench with a belt, go for it! But remember to WORK YOUR CHEST, don't rely on being able to push out your guts on a sooper tight belt to deliver your power. Bring the bar all the way down to stretch the muscle then push the bar up as high as you can and squeeze at the top. Kai Greene teaches the stretch and squeeze philosophy and I reckon it works. When I begin each rep (contraction) I'm thinking of how can I go from the stretch position to call on the muscle bulk to deliver me a bigger and bigger squeeze.

    For benching, elbows in.

    Did you read the first 3 words of the mans thread?
    traps are the new abs.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tren4Life For This Useful Post:

    DieYoungStrong (03-27-2014),JAXNY (03-27-2014)

  23. #15
    Elite Tren4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    living the dream
    Posts
    5,067
    Thanks
    7,406
    Thanked 4,364 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Originally Posted by ProteinFarts View Post
    If your using a belt on bench then your prob one of the guys doing incline bench with his ass 15 inches raised off the seat. I see no need for a belt on bench. The idea has never even crossed my mind until now.
    That's kind of rude if you ask me. Your a pretty new guy around here and I was starting to like you until you went and opened your mouth on this one.
    The first words of Wides thread are asking the PLer for advise. If your not a PLer then why answer?
    It appears like you are trying to look down at the man for asking a question that you clearly have no fukking business answering
    traps are the new abs.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tren4Life For This Useful Post:

    Assassin32 (03-27-2014)

  25. #16
    Elite PillarofBalance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    20,519
    Thanks
    2,146
    Thanked 18,077 Times in 7,796 Posts
    I will sorta give PF a bit of benefit of the doubt. 99% of guys in the gym don't need a belt to do their bench routine of 185 x 10 for a set. Or when they do their tri push downs and curls. Belts are abused.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

    Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

  26. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
    Originally Posted by Steelers4Life View Post
    That's kind of rude if you ask me. Your a pretty new guy around here and I was starting to like you until you went and opened your mouth on this one.
    The first words of Wides thread are asking the PLer for advise. If your not a PLer then why answer?
    It appears like you are trying to look down at the man for asking a question that you clearly have no fukking business answering
    I meant no disrespect. Wife had me in a bad mood I guess it shown through. So no OP unless your lower back is involved in the lift (which it should not be on bench) then a belt is not going to be nessesasy. Of course I'm sure some like it because it probably just makes you feel more solid and in turn may help your lift. But def not nessesary.

  27. #18
    Senior Member goodfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    ca
    Posts
    1,080
    Thanks
    481
    Thanked 235 Times in 182 Posts
    If you have a belt, USE IT! If you dont, owell.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to goodfella For This Useful Post:

    Tren4Life (03-27-2014)

  29. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    257
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
    Originally Posted by PillarofBalance View Post
    I will sorta give PF a bit of benefit of the doubt. 99% of guys in the gym don't need a belt to do their bench routine of 185 x 10 for a set. Or when they do their tri push downs and curls. Belts are abused.
    I appriciate the vote of confidence I will make a conservative effort to only be positive. However when I work out hard, as I am now, I get a 100% rise in libido and aggression. Natural GH! lol

  30. #20
    Elite ken Sass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,052
    Thanks
    1,176
    Thanked 557 Times in 331 Posts
    i wear 1 when i go heavy, but i am old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. High Belt vs. Low Belt
    By Ezskanken in forum Powerlifting Technique
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-10-2015, 09:17 PM
  2. Belt squats
    By Joliver in forum Powerlifting Training Methods
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM
  3. Rubber belt stomach
    By Jada in forum General Chat & Conversation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM
  4. Who keeps their belt the longest
    By djkneegrow in forum Sports Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM
  5. wear a belt yes or no(squats)
    By Jada in forum Training and Workouts
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-04-2012, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •