Squats vs legpress

Reaction score
Which is best squats or legpress? i only squat 200lbs for 12 reps, did some legpresses yesterday, was suprised i could do 440lbs easily(didnt do legpress before) should i add legpress to my workout? is it as effective as squats?

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Best for what exactly?

imo, squats and leg presses compliment each other very well.

Reaction score
Yes i think i should add it to my legs day. i currently do backsquat, frontsquat, hacksquat, leg extentions and curls for upper legs

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Squatting is significantly better for overall mass. The will pile meat on your arms, all over your back, glutes, hams, calves, quads, toes you name it... Leg press isn't going to build your squat much IMO. Most squats fail because of technical issues or a weakness in the back.

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dorian Yates didn't do regular squats cause it bothered is lower back, he relied on leg presses for mass building his legs, while Tom Platz did every type of squats to build one of the most amazing legs in history. My opinion is that squats needs time to perfect cause it's a difficult exercise and u can't load up in weight right away, while leg presses you can load up heavy weights almost immediately cause is a pretty simple exercise (you have to go low enough to actually work out your legs) my wife is leg pressing over 1000 pounds at a body weight of 125-130 pounds while she can only squat 225, my advise would be is that master the squat and then do some leg presses to compliment your leg workout.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree with iron they compliment eachother. Also alot of people like to load up the legs press and do these, illl call them 1/4 reps, with alot of wieght. Ur knees should come to ur chest. Unless ur fat then as far as ur belly will except the wieght. Tom platz would hit 30 reps on leg press and then super set that with 20 reps on squats. Tried this out good luck walking for a week.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agree with iron they compliment eachother. Also alot of people like to load up the legs press and do these, illl call them 1/4 reps, with alot of wieght. Ur knees should come to ur chest. Unless ur fat then as far as ur belly will except the wieght. Tom platz would hit 30 reps on leg press and then super set that with 20 reps on squats. Tried this out good luck walking for a week.

Yup. I hate seeing half reps of anything.

I usually use the leg press for insane high reps after I do a squat workout. Last night I did my squats, and then went to the leg press, put 2 plates on each side, and cranked out 100 reps in 3 sets.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The answer is simple. Which is harder to do? Squats by a mile. There's your answer.

If you are brand new to working out these 8 different compounds exercises would be great to start: squats, bench, dead lifts, military press, bent over row, upright row, pull over, and pull ups.

Dial in your diet. Eat more protein and less sugar.

Be consistent. A good body will not be built overnight. Stay away from any performance enhancement drugs. They will be of little benefit to you just getting started.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What's a leg press?? Never heard of it!!!

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The leg press can put false pretense in your mind that you are a beast. I hate to see the guys at the gym load up on leg press and think they are beasts, but yet have trouble squatting 185. Imo, perfect the squat, even if you have to start at a lower then usual weight. It will not only build mass but put power in your wheels. And as POB said build about everything else on your body. Do I use leg press, sure I do. I don't use it as my big lift in my leg routine, but more as DYS said above, some major burn sets after hardcore squatting session......

yeti

Reaction score
I like using single leg leg presses after squats for 2-3 sets of 20 just to get some imbalances out.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The leg press can put false pretense in your mind that you are a beast. I hate to see the guys at the gym load up on leg press and think they are beasts, but yet have trouble squatting 185. Imo, perfect the squat, even if you have to start at a lower then usual weight. It will not only build mass but put power in your wheels. And as POB said build about everything else on your body. Do I use leg press, sure I do. I don't use it as my big lift in my leg routine, but more as DYS said above, some major burn sets after hardcore squatting session......

These are the guys that only do half squats and press.........................I swear there is nothing that kills me more than peeps that look like they are doing a fuuking curtsy when they squat!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those who know me know this about me.... SKEEEWATTTSS!!! IS KING... of everything!!! Now I won'y deny that I don't do Leg presses cause I do but like most exercises I don't lock out at the top and i dont let it come down to far either. if that's considered a half press then so be it. I dont allow my lower back to roll off the pad.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Those who know me know this about me.... SKEEEWATTTSS!!! IS KING... of everything!!! Now I won'y deny that I don't do Leg presses cause I do but like most exercises I don't lock out at the top and i dont let it come down to far either. if that's considered a half press then so be it. I dont allow my lower back to roll off the pad.

I don't think a lot of people lock out, I do and it can kick your ass!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think a lot of people lock out, I do and it can kick your ass!

Yeah there is a method of a 3 second squeeze at the top and a 3 second squeeze at the bottom but I didn't like it very much. But you can kick my ass if you like. :)

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is a method of a 3 second squeeze at the top and a 3 second squeeze at the bottom but I didn't like it very much. But you can kick my ass if you like. :)

lol, you would love that!!! :)