Squat form critique

yeti

Reaction score

Hey guys, I know it's a risk putting a video of myself here, but there just aren't any powerlifters in the gym I go to.
This is after the Smolov Base mesocycle, I am currently in switching phase.
I hit a 385x1 for the new max last week. This is 365x2.

What do I need to work on?

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
not bad a bad looking squat at all from where I'm sitting. good and deep and looks like you're pushing out on your knees. good work bud.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Any chance of a side angle? Hard to see how your knees are tracking from behind.

What I saw - and wait for some competing PLs like Big Worm, Steelers, SFG or PoB to chime in before you take my word for it - was a bit of "butt wink" when you went into the hole (meaning you could arch more). Your depth looks to be A2G - which is admirable (again a bit hard to tell from the reverse angle). Some of the Bros will post vidz while wearing a mask so as to avoid showing their faces, you might be a bit more comfortable posting form vidz if you did so.

Regardless, you looked strong! Good on ya' for bustin' ass in the squat rack!

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a gimp mask and get a side view. Looked past parallel, we need a side vid at best to really see and critique.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Looked good to me. Deep and smooth.

I always hear guys talking about pushing your knees out but never felt natural to me. Then I saw this video from Bryce Lewis. He's much smarter than me. Lol

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Watch the entire video if u can. Especially the part about knee travel.

yeti

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I'll try to wear a hoodie or something and get a side video next week. Probably slightly lighter next time because the week after is the start of the intense mesocycle for smolov..

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the angle but it didn't look like you arched the bar out of the rack.

Last edited:

heavydeads83

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I'll try to wear a hoodie or something and get a side video next week. Probably slightly lighter next time because the week after is the start of the intense mesocycle for smolov..

a hoodie isn't required. we know you aren't as pretty as us anyway.

yeti

Reaction score
It's hard to tell from the angle but it didn't look like you arched the bar out of the rack.
What does it mean to arch the bar out of the rack? Do I good morning it? Or less legs?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What does it mean to arch the bar out of the rack? Do I good morning it? Or less legs?

When you set up you should be arching your back hard and keeping it tight try to keep your elbows under the bar.

I guess the other thing to me is are you squating for leg development or trying to squat big numbers?

Your depth is crazy good so no problems there but I do think I saw your knees turn in at the bottom.

Last edited:

yeti

Reaction score
When you set up you should be arching your back hard and keeping it tight try to keep your elbows under the bar.
I guess the other thing to me is are you squating for leg development or trying to squat big numbers?
Your depth is crazy good so no problems there but I do think I saw your knees turn in at the bottom.

Ah I see. I'll make sure to keep that in mind.
I'm trying to squat big numbers.
I guess I should drop a little less and keep the knees out more than at the bottom.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
???? Is this the same thing as the arching?

All he means is when you go to unrack the bar you should be in a simliar position to when you're about to squat. You absolutely do not GM the bar out of the j hooks. Popping it up should be a quick squeeze of the glutes like HD said.

Big Worm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well you did a squat and it was deep. Knees looked unstable but didnt cave too much. Horrible angle for the vid though. Get some side and front view vids.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmmm need a side angle.

If you are oly or hybrid squatting as what it appears, then you should try and move the bar up a little on your back, not on your scapula where you have it now.

Your are setting more low bar with lends itself to a more glute/ham dominate squat I am sure if we looked at a side angle your bar path would not be vertical. Hips see to be open and knees tracking well, at least on the first rep.

Send a side view. Good to see someone squatting! Good work man.

yeti

Reaction score
Hmmm need a side angle.

If you are oly or hybrid squatting as what it appears, then you should try and move the bar up a little on your back, not on your scapula where you have it now.

Your are setting more low bar with lends itself to a more glute/ham dominate squat I am sure if we looked at a side angle your bar path would not be vertical. Hips see to be open and knees tracking well, at least on the first rep.

Send a side view. Good to see someone squatting! Good work man.

I'm trying to do a low bar PL squat, but I guess I should sit back more.
Yeah I'll def post up a side view video ASAP.

Thanks for the advice guys.

New Threads