Westside Powerlifting Training

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jol. I have become very intrigued and interested in the PL platform. Slowly converting. I am gonna be running 5/3/1 for a little but will be considering this afterwards.

Your gonna have to find some demons if you want to hang out with us.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That routine you wrote out looks vaguely familiar hmmmmm...lol.

Ok I have a question: The difference between DE percentages for geared vs raw lifters. I have seen a lot of debate on this. Since geared guys are working off a higher 1RM they use lower DE percentages. Raw guys the opposite. Why just for squat though?

This is what I have seen as a recommendation. What are your thoughts on higher % for the raw dog coach?

Dynamic Effort Squat:
Geared Lifters: 10-12 sets of 2 reps at 40-60% 1RM
Raw Lifters: 10-12 sets of 2 reps at 70-85% 1RM

Dynamic Effort Deadlift:
All Lifters: 6-10 sets of 1-3 reps at 60-85% 1RM

Dynamic Effort Bench:
All Lifters: 9 x 3 repetitions at 50% 1RM (this of course can go 50, 55, 60 in a micro cycle)

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Because we don't compete in gear. The lower percentage used by geared guys takes into account their PR is suited.

In deads I don't think that matters as much because the suit maybe adds less than 50lbs.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Because we don't compete in gear. The lower percentage used by geared guys takes into account their PR is suited.

In deads I don't think that matters as much because the suit maybe adds less than 50lbs.

Pillar my long lost friend. Thank you.

Redrum1327

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks Joli for breaking it down into terms that even a VERY slow person like myself could understand !!

If I get sore tho I will be expecting a oiled back rub bc I took your advise so if im sore its technically your fault :32 (18):

jackdaddy

Reaction score
I'm going to have to YouTube some of these lifts lol...

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
as more is said and i read, the more i have to learn. i might be hitting to many sets.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bumping this old but amazing thread on WS. Great read for anyone looking to get into PL.

Chaos501

Reaction score
Man this is an outstanding post. Couldn't stop myself from reading!!! In the gym now gonna start this program had a weak bench day yesterday so it's gonna overlap today but it will even out. Thanks for the info and help!!!!
S/O to Ecksrated for the link to the thread!!! Thanks bro!

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Westside is the only one that allows changes in hairstyle. This alone says enough.

Chaos501

Reaction score
So I know it says 8x3 on Monday for ME lower day. That seems like a bit much when running squats and deadlifts. How would I structure it for Monday's running squats and deads and determining training max or should I shoot for 90% of my 1RM?

Chaos501

Reaction score
You think 8x3 is a lot? Try 15 doubles.

Yea that is 6 more reps. But I do push my percentages like Ecksrated said. Right up to 90% because I hate light training it's my weak point because we all know you need to knock the weight down at times. I did SSB squats 8x3 at damn close do 90% then attempted to do the same with deads and it didn't happen even trying to pull %75 was a no go. And deadlift is my best lift. Just trying to structure this program the right way for what works for me.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Yea that is 6 more reps. But I do push my percentages like Ecksrated said. Right up to 90% because I hate light training it's my weak point because we all know you need to knock the weight down at times. I did SSB squats 8x3 at damn close do 90% then attempted to do the same with deads and it didn't happen even trying to pull %75 was a no go. And deadlift is my best lift. Just trying to structure this program the right way for what works for me.

Let Jol help u out when he has time.

My working sets on heavy days are usually 3-5 sets of triples. Then maybe some heavier singles. Westside is new to me also but I think you're doing way too much.

Chaos501

Reaction score
Let Jol help u out when he has time.

My working sets on heavy days are usually 3-5 sets of triples. Then maybe some heavier singles. Westside is new to me also but I think you're doing way too much.

I knocked my heavy days down to 3x3 increasing weight then 3x1 increasing weight.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I knocked my heavy days down to 3x3 increasing weight then 3x1 increasing weight.

Check out the prilepin chart thread to get an idea of how you get volume. That chart is the fundamental basis for that 8x3 template. It may not be 8x3, it varies quite a bit. For example:

1x3@65
1x3@75
3x3@85
1x2@90
1x1@95
1xTM+

If youll notice, we worked through all of the prilepin training zones at the low end of their ranges. We did 8 sets, but very rarely should you grind out 8-10 sets of 85%+. Westside lifters know the template, but that's where the Bulgarian training comes in because as a lift gets heavy by percentage, the reps drop to singles--maybe doubles.

Chaos501

Reaction score
Check out the prilepin chart thread to get an idea of how you get volume. That chart is the fundamental basis for that 8x3 template. It may not be 8x3, it varies quite a bit. For example:

1x3@65
1x3@75
3x3@85
1x2@90
1x1@95
1xTM+

If youll notice, we worked through all of the prilepin training zones at the low end of their ranges. We did 8 sets, but very rarely should you grind out 8-10 sets of 85%+. Westside lifters know the template, but that's where the Bulgarian training comes in because as a lift gets heavy by percentage, the reps drop to singles--maybe doubles.

thank you for your help man!! That's pretty close to what I ended up doing. My 3 sets of 3 were increasing weight the. 3 sets of singles were all increasing weight also. This template will be great to have thanks again!!!

New Threads