Explanation of Training Volume

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of people do not have a full understanding of what volume is, or how to judge their work volume. Many think it is simply a matter of increasing reps or sets. This is not the case and the truth of the matter is, it's not a simple as most would believe.

The generally accepted equation to calculating this is volume = sets x reps x weight

However, this is flawed due to the scientific definition of work which is work = force x distance

Without distance it is impossible to have a complete and accurate measurement of volume. Using the same amount of weight for different exercises is not a concrete reflection of the total volume or amount of work the body is doing because of the significant difference in distance the weight is being moved and number of muscles being worked, and therefore will not contribute equally.

i.e. Calf raises do not equate to the same amount of work or volume as power cleans, even when the same weight is being used for both exercises

The classic equation also does not take into account time under tension either. To be clear, time under tension is the amount of time your muscles are actually working. For example, if you were to perform ten barbell curls in 20 seconds, this would be less work for your muscles than performing the same curls for 60 seconds, even though the amount of weight and reps stayed the same. Or, if you were to bench press 200lbs for ten reps in 15 seconds, under the classic formula your volume would be 2,000lbs. But if you were to bench press 200lbs for seven reps in 70 seconds, your volume would only be 1,400lbs. Which do you think would be harder?

While the time for which a force applied to an object for a given distance does not directly affect the definition of work from a physics standpoint, it is generally accepted as a way to increase overall training volume and efficacy.

Everyone will require something different in order to succeed in this lifestyle and while this is not a comprehensive end all be all, I do hope it may help some to clear up some common misconceptions when guys start talking about volume; especially with the influx of new users to the board.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that a lot of people do not have a full understanding of what volume is, or how to judge their work volume. Many think it is simply a matter of increasing reps or sets. This is not the case and the truth of the matter is, it's not a simple as most would believe.

The generally accepted equation to calculating this is volume = sets x reps x weight

However, this is flawed due to the scientific definition of work which is work = force x distance

Without distance it is impossible to have a complete and accurate measurement of volume. Using the same amount of weight for different exercises is not a concrete reflection of the total volume or amount of work the body is doing because of the significant difference in distance the weight is being moved and number of muscles being worked, and therefore will not contribute equally.

i.e. Calf raises do not equate to the same amount of work or volume as power cleans, even when the same weight is being used for both exercises

The classic equation also does not take into account time under tension either. To be clear, time under tension is the amount of time your muscles are actually working. For example, if you were to perform ten barbell curls in 20 seconds, this would be less work for your muscles than performing the same curls for 60 seconds, even though the amount of weight and reps stayed the same. Or, if you were to bench press 200lbs for ten reps in 15 seconds, under the classic formula your volume would be 2,000lbs. But if you were to bench press 200lbs for seven reps in 70 seconds, your volume would only be 1,400lbs. Which do you think would be harder?

While the time for which a force applied to an object for a given distance does not directly affect the definition of work from a physics standpoint, it is generally accepted as a way to increase overall training volume and efficacy.

Everyone will require something different in order to succeed in this lifestyle and while this is not a comprehensive end all be all, I do hope it may help some to clear up some common misconceptions when guys start talking about volume; especially with the influx of new users to the board.

do you bring a scientific calculator to the gym?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
oh my lord, just train hard!!! :)

Some people think they are cause they took a set of extensions to failure. Having a better understanding of what volume actually is will help you in fat loss, muscle gain, strength gains. All of it.

How many times have you seen someone tell a person who wants to cut to use lighter weight for high reps? It gets posted all the time. But it's bullshit. What burns more calories for me? When I do 4 sets of bicep curls for 10 reps? Or when I do 2 sets of 500lb squats for triples?

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Some people think they are cause they took a set of extensions to failure. Having a better understanding of what volume actually is will help you in fat loss, muscle gain, strength gains. All of it.

How many times have you seen someone tell a person who wants to cut to use lighter weight for high reps? It gets posted all the time. But it's bullshit. What burns more calories for me? When I do 4 sets of bicep curls for 10 reps? Or when I do 2 sets of 500lb squats for triples?

babe, I just train hard and heavy..mixing shit up...= results ;) for those that want all the technical shit, go for it! :)

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
Good read, I've been trying to make my reps longer nd I've def got more of a pump out of it

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i say just injected the gear and hit the gym..train hard but not to hurt yourelf..u will notice as the weeks go it will be easy to bust your ass..thats when your on and u will know when its time to push it..just keep a smart head and dont injure yourself

Hotmess

Lady Member
Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense. I exhausted my triceps today during 1 exercise with lighter weight than normal and less reps. Full concentration and emphasis on control and squeeze and sliced my workout in half and still feel just as wore out as my regular routine.

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
Bump. Because every gotdamn day someone is talking about increasing their volume by doing lighter weight and higher reps. Pet ****ing peeve, man

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Or "deloading" but doing a million sets and reps. But with lighter weight so its a "deload"

Reaction score

"
high-volume (VOL; n = 14, 4 × 10–12 repetitions with ∼70% of one repetition maximum [1RM], 1-min rest intervals) or a high-intensity (INT; n = 15, 4 × 3–5 repetitions with ∼90% of 1RM, 3-min rest intervals)
"
Not sure I agree with their definition of intensity, with 3 minute breaks given to the "high-intensity" group and 1 minute to the, presumably, non-high-intensity (i.e., high-volume) group.

Thanks for the read.

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
" high-volume (VOL; n = 14, 4 × 10–12 repetitions with ∼70% of one repetition maximum [1RM], 1-min rest intervals) or a high-intensity (INT; n = 15, 4 × 3–5 repetitions with ∼90% of 1RM, 3-min rest intervals) " Not sure I agree with their definition of intensity, with 3 minute breaks given to the "high-intensity" group and 1 minute to the, presumably, non-high-intensity (i.e., high-volume) group. Thanks for the read.

Agreed. Volume is a definitive formula, whereas intensity is subjective

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I kinda agree with those rest periods. 3 minutes really isn't much when you're in the 90% range doing triples or even sets of five.

New Threads