Bicep 21's - Still my most effective bicep workout

Reaction score
When I first started 21's years ago, I HATED it. It was a painful workout since it was new to me. Then I started to do it week after week and then switching off to every other weak. My bicep peek started to raise and I felt less fatigue for other exercises.
I realized that no matter how strong I got, it was always smart to stick to a light easy-curl bar (30-40 lb) because those last full motion 7 reps felt like my biceps were about to explode.
Reaching that last 7 rep threshold is where the real muscle/strength started to pile on.

Heres a video to anyone who doesn't know about 21's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvRBXCKFXMI

Popeye

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I love 21's...its my go to bicep workout also

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
Lately ive been doing 3 or 4 sers of a excersise and then my 5th is a burn out of 21s. Agree its a Arnold goody

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
I got a good one that i never ever see anyone else doing. I put the bench incline - just a tad bit more elevated than incline chest bench is. Grab a good heavy weight - whatever. And hang your arms to the side. Now lift and do bicep curls exactly as if you were doing a front double bicep. Just dont bring your arms as high as a actual bicep pose. That will rip your biceps a new one.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
21's are great for sure. Not just for biceps...

Reaction score
I got a good one that i never ever see anyone else doing. I put the bench incline - just a tad bit more elevated than incline chest bench is. Grab a good heavy weight - whatever. And hang your arms to the side. Now lift and do bicep curls exactly as if you were doing a front double bicep. Just dont bring your arms as high as a actual bicep pose. That will rip your biceps a new one.

Definitely going to try this as a variation on the standard incline DB curls. I bet the pump from these is insane...

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
i do those too. Keep my elbow against my side though. Nothing but bicep

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
i do those too. Keep my elbow against my side though. Nothing but bicep

It's my staple. Now thinking about my form, when light weight I keep my arms tucked to my sides. As I go heavier I raise them a bit. But raising still rips the shit out of them. I'm up to 40s on my last set now. Strong for me. Getting there at least.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
But sorry to bogard. All of Arnold's stuff is gold. He tutted the 21s right? I'm a big fan of his rib cage stretcher too.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My bi pump has been soooo painful lately, that I think 21s may actually make my bi explode/skin rupture.

Reaction score
I love doing this exercise using it as a nice warm-up set or a burn out set for a finisher. Either way I get a great pump from doing these.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score

I do this also, but i do one arm at a time. Usually a slight lean to the arm im working to focus solely on it. I usually do 2x8-12 each arm back to back

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
I do this also, but i do one arm at a time. Usually a slight lean to the arm im working to focus solely on it. I usually do 2x8-12 each arm back to back

Cool cool. I do both arms at the same time here. Regular dumbell curls I alternate arms though.

Oldebull

Reaction score
I've been going heavy E-Z curls, 2 sets of 6, then a set of 21s to finish it off. I'll use @40-50% of my 6 rep weight for these.

shenky

Reaction score
21's give me a nasty pump! It's a staple!

New Threads