How does your training change 4wks out from a meet?

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
Ok PL'ers, I'm trying to get a pulse on how some of you change your training 4 weeks out from a meet. Or if you start 5wks out, 6wks, etc. I'm sure a lot of guys do things differently and I suppose it may depend on what your training program looks like to start with, but I'd still like to get some ideas floating around from some of the experienced competitors here.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It the months approaching a meet, I have several distinct phases: Hypertrophic phase, strength phase, peaking phase. Now everyone will be different, but here is what I have determined and why I believe it to be the best approach for me. Keep in mind that I run westside and am constantly working with maxes (of different types) throughout my training. So there is NEVER a point where it isn't a priority. That said here is what I do:

Hypertrophic phase: I am a classed lifter, so there is a limit to how much you can weigh, but there is also early weigh-ins at my meets. I wouldn't bother with a meet that makes me weigh in immediately before I lift. That said, I will take 6 weeks to focus on higher volume to encourage muscular development. There is nothing more confidence inspiring that being 240lbs and lifting in the 220lb class (with the help of a few last minute techniques).

Strength phase: Now that I my muscles have muscles, it is time to focus on making sure that new mass is strong. I will shift my focus from training maxes to percentages of my 1RM or contest max (whichever is higher). I will work my way to near failure on the majority of my later sets. The weights cannot remain stale--I am constantly pushing the weight up. I take some of the volume out of my training in favor of more ME core lift sets. I rotate my exercises regularly and ensure that I am setting PRs for accessory work.

I also use more pause lifting and ballistic lifting to increase my stopping power and reversal strength. On DE days, I use the Tendo regularly to ensure I am moving the weights with appropriate velocity. These two methods will ensure that my transition from training maxes to absolute max is done without losing ANY speed. If I lose speed, more ballistic lifting and plyometrics are added.

Peaking Phase (one month): This is the time where I will spend cementing my groove and working with the highest loads and lowest reps. I will still follow the WS principles, but I will change my lifts to the main 3 for all of my core lifts. Only my most productive and predictive accessory lifts will be used. My volume is very low and at this point, I am focusing on CNS training only. My heaviest loads will be a couple of weeks before the meet. The last week is a deload.

Deload week: Most lifters take this week completely off. I generally like to take the earliest part of the week to cement my grooves with a few singles or doubles of each lift with 30% or so of my absolute max. I train to prevent fatigue with my lifts, so it doesn't throw me off at all.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm running POBs program right now
4 weeks out is a week of 5rm I'm in this week now
3 weeks out is a week of 3 rm
2 weeks out is a speed week
Week before the meet is a deload week

Last edited:

New Threads