Rich Piana on training with "light" weight and high reps for size when on-cycle

RJ

Reaction score
Say what you want about Rich but he's one of the nicest guys around. He trains right down the street from my office, and he will stop to greet anyone who asks him to.

he may be, but honestly i judge him explicitly simply for wearing a watch to workout in. Especially a gigantic oversized douchebag watch.

I mean really... who the **** does that? Oh yeah... Piana does. hahaha

more importantly Seeker, who is that incredible specimen in your avi? My next ex-wife is definitely gonna have some heavy tat work. :D

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
the forever debated question of reps vs weights......

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
my coach is all about high volume at the moment which is something ive never really done. on the leg press the other day he said give me 50. i said pardon thinking he said 15. nope. 50 it was. by the end i was struggling to hold my breakfast down! but im noticing good results doing 3-4 sets of 20,20,15,10.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
he may be, but honestly i judge him explicitly simply for wearing a watch to workout in. Especially a gigantic oversized douchebag watch.

more importantly Seeker, who is that incredible specimen in your avi? My next ex-wife is definitely gonna have some heavy tat work. :D

Haha she is special. I have a fondness for pretty tatted women. Free spirited and sexy as hell! As for Rich, yeah he's let Hollywood get to him a little bit. Lol but still a big sweetheart of a guy.

Reaction score
I love rich, this dude is pretty straight forward with what he says.alot of respect for him being open about everything, well maybe not all, but most. I feel higher reps while being enhanced is the way to go. I watched this video awhile ago and tried the 225 for 30 was killer I failed at 22. After 22 reps my form looked like an average gym goers who squats once a year I feel everyone should give it a try.pretty brutal.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I saw him at The Arnold....OMG he's a beast!!!!! He was a pretty nice guy too.....I know he "has" to be while at these things....but he was talking to everyone like he had all the time in the world with each one
Usually when you say 2 plates or 3 plates etc. You are meaning per side. At least every where I've been its just always been known to be per side.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
will also be interesting to see his supplement line considering he said there wont be a protien or mass gainer

Lt. Aldo Raine

Reaction score
Ive been following rich for awhile and I respect the hell out of him for willingly coming forward and posting multiple videos on youtube of his aas use and opinions. He is not benefiting from those vids and i listen because he is definitely doing something right.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

If you're worrying about what other men are wearing in the gym, I've got some bad news...

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of high reps, low weight. I alternate my four day split doing low rep, heavy weight for 4 days then the next four day split I do high rep, low weight. It works both fast and slow. I love the extra cals burned on high reps as well as the pumps obtained from them. Why not mix it up?

QBYa7NS.jpg

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I haven't done heavy anything in 3 years and I've grown the most in that time. I will say though that I have tightened everything else in that time as well.

I've felt the most nauseation in that time not counting legs. When you turn off the pain switch sometimes the only thing to stop you is near hurl or hurl.

H

McDuffy

Reaction score
I haven't done heavy anything in 3 years and I've grown the most in that time. I will say though that I have tightened everything else in that time as well.

I've felt the most nauseation in that time not counting legs. When you turn off the pain switch sometimes the only thing to stop you is near hurl or hurl.

H

Wait what? You don't do any heavy lifting and that's how you'Ve gotten big? Care to expand on that?

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
High reps is where it's at. I don't give a FARK what my max rep is in anything, it's a one way ticket to snap city in my opinion. High reps keeps the heart rate up and has really helped in my journey.

whitelml

Reaction score
I do both. Lower reps even singles for deadlift, squat, bench just because i would like to compete at some point soon. And its encouraging to watch numbers climb. Everything else is around 8-10.

trodizzle

Elite
Reaction score
I do both. Lower reps even singles for deadlift, squat, bench just because i would like to compete at some point soon. And its encouraging to watch numbers climb. Everything else is around 8-10.

8-10 isn't really high rep IMHO. Rich in his video says do 30, with good form, no breaks, then come at him. I use a 22 rep target for my high reps. Lower the weights and go higher bro! Pumps are insane and the burn is no joke!

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Wait what? You don't do any heavy lifting and that's how you'Ve gotten big? Care to expand on that?

You couldn't have asked that question at a better time. I sent a PM to a buddy yesterday going over a little of it. The most important thing to remember is diet makes you grow, maintain or lose. As long as the muscles are being tore down properly for rebuild. Many ways to do it.

Here is what I sent-

My training has been evolving for three years now. I had to many injuries and kept having to see the chiro each week but I found after a week it was right back to being f'd up. I had to make changes to my routine with injury prevention being first in line. I had to throw away the old ways, my lifting ego and pride so I could start over.

I started with the most troubled areas. lighter weights, slower negatives, pre exhaust, hold and squeeze, supersets, tri sets, giant sets, stripping, drop sets, rest pause, pyramiding up in weight, always in strict control of the weights, mind to muscle connection, etc...

I started doing all the reading on advanced training techniques that I could and applied them.

I figured out what exercises didn't hurt me, mostly machines, and kept the same exercises but switched up by applying one to a few of the many I have listed above off the top of my head. There are more that I don't have listed.

My training is fast passed and exhausting but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here is an example of a giant set on back/chest day-

Start with DB flies to smith bench to smith row to fixed BB curl to cable pushdown.

That's 5 exercises in one set. I go from pre exhaust to finishing up my arms.

That's the most exhausting besides legs but my favorite as well.

Pick out what exercises agree with your body the most and start applying some of these principals slowly. If you do to much to fast you will go through over working as I did at times. It's a lot of trial and error but well worth it in the end.

Listen to your body well, it'll tell you what's right or wrong.

H

McDuffy

Reaction score
8-10 isn't really high rep IMHO. Rich in his video says do 30, with good form, no breaks, then come at him. I use a 22 rep target for my high reps. Lower the weights and go higher bro! Pumps are insane and the burn is no joke!

When on gear ill go high rep like that at the end of my workout. i like to get on a machine and do 20-30 curls until i can't move my arms, but i'd only do it after all my low rep sets and mid rep sets

McDuffy

Reaction score
You couldn't have asked that question at a better time. I sent a PM to a buddy yesterday going over a little of it. The most important thing to remember is diet makes you grow, maintain or lose. As long as the muscles are being tore down properly for rebuild. Many ways to do it.

Here is what I sent-

My training has been evolving for three years now. I had to many injuries and kept having to see the chiro each week but I found after a week it was right back to being f'd up. I had to make changes to my routine with injury prevention being first in line. I had to throw away the old ways, my lifting ego and pride so I could start over.

I started with the most troubled areas. lighter weights, slower negatives, pre exhaust, hold and squeeze, supersets, tri sets, giant sets, stripping, drop sets, rest pause, pyramiding up in weight, always in strict control of the weights, mind to muscle connection, etc...

I started doing all the reading on advanced training techniques that I could and applied them.

I figured out what exercises didn't hurt me, mostly machines, and kept the same exercises but switched up by applying one to a few of the many I have listed above off the top of my head. There are more that I don't have listed.

My training is fast passed and exhausting but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here is an example of a giant set on back/chest day-

Start with DB flies to smith bench to smith row to fixed BB curl to cable pushdown.

That's 5 exercises in one set. I go from pre exhaust to finishing up my arms.

That's the most exhausting besides legs but my favorite as well.

Pick out what exercises agree with your body the most and start applying some of these principals slowly. If you do to much to fast you will go through over working as I did at times. It's a lot of trial and error but well worth it in the end.

Listen to your body well, it'll tell you what's right or wrong.

H

Good to know, this is kind of what i did during last cycle, but i also went heavy. I need to familiarize myself with all the different terminologies like

hold and squeeze, supersets, tri sets, giant sets, stripping, drop sets, rest pause

i can guess but im not to sure what ay of that stuff is...