Rich Piana on training with "light" weight and high reps for size when on-cycle

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Rich Piana on training with "light" weight and high reps for size when on-cycle

FWIW, I don't share Rich's opinion that squatting 5 plates for 6 reps "don't mean sh1t" but I do agree that high volume training does have a place in the toolbox when seeking hypertrophy.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
2 plates for 30 reps. Challenge accepted

After the meet there is gonna be a new place on the board for challenges.

Bring It!!

Trauma RN

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
I saw him at The Arnold....OMG he's a beast!!!!! He was a pretty nice guy too.....I know he "has" to be while at these things....but he was talking to everyone like he had all the time in the world with each one

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is he saying 2 plates total, or 2 plates on each side??? HUMMMMMMM :)

The reference is always to one side. So 4 total 225
When he said 5 plates for 6 reps that's 10 plates or 495

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, sounds like someone i know :)

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok it was 20 reps. But he has taken the words right out of my mouth when explaining squats for bb versus pl.

f.r.a.n.k.

Reaction score
Hahaha I like this guy. Yes I disagree with the 5 plates for 6 reps comment...that it doesn't mean shit. Squatting heavy has its benefits natural or not.
I'm training to compete. The only thing I go heavy for low reps are squats and deadlifts. The overall core strength produced by squats and deadlifts are something I cannot ignore. Plus it's always an awesome feeling to squat heavy in front of all the individuals that don't have a leg day.

JOMO

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like this guy. No Homo

Reaction score
I currently using volume training right now, Sunday was leg day and I'm still feeling the effects today, while the lower reps will get you that strength, the ability to go longer will give you that size.

RJ

Reaction score
You get bigger by getting stronger. Always. Now, that works two ways. If you do 5 plates for 6 and two months later you do 5 plates for 8 reps you have gotten strnger. If you do 2 plates for 20 and two months later you do it for 30 you have gotten stronger. Both ways you have gotten stronger and as long as you eat you will grow.

Everyone always thinks low reps means heavy weight and high reps means less weight. I always lift heavy. Always. Now i do 8-12 reps, but always lift heavy. Because that is how you grow. Whether you do 6 reps of 60 reps. Lift heavy. Same with dieting. People think to get lean for some reason you have to do light weight for high reps. Again... nonsense. Wanna get big? Lift heavy. Wanna get lean? Lift heavy.

PLease don't think if you get an awesome pump/burn that is why you are growing. Strength breeds size. Not the other way around. No pro BBers/PLers EVER lifted light weights and got jacked. They lifted big heavy iron and took lots of drugs and got big as ****. Once BBers get big they may use light weights for reps or do Giant sets to help develop/carve those muscles, but believe me they started out lifting heavy.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Risk piana looks like complete shit. Big yes but very ugly looking big.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Say what you want about Rich but he's one of the nicest guys around. He trains right down the street from my office, and he will stop to greet anyone who asks him to.

New Threads