Rich Piana on training with "light" weight and high reps for size when on-cycle

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
Good to know, this is kind of what i did during last cycle, but i also went heavy. I need to familiarize myself with all the different terminologies like

hold and squeeze, supersets, tri sets, giant sets, stripping, drop sets, rest pause

i can guess but im not to sure what ay of that stuff is...

Google is about to become your best friend :)

You can find anything.

H

GSgator

Reaction score
I'm going to try that out HDH lately all compound moves have been aggervating my joints. Im 6 weeks in from a year off and progress is great but the achy joints are once again showing there ugly faces which is one of the reason I stopped before. I hated being injured all the time for me at this point in my life it's all about looking good and being in great shape I'm married with a family and work construction what's the point of benching, squatting and dead lifting 100's of pounds lol. I guess I need to figure out and revamp everything.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I'm going to try that out HDH lately all compound moves have been aggervating my joints. Im 6 weeks in from a year off and progress is great but the achy joints are once again showing there ugly faces which is one of the reason I stopped before. I hated being injured all the time for me at this point in my life it's all about looking good and being in great shape I'm married with a family and work construction what's the point of benching, squatting and dead lifting 100's of pounds lol. I guess I need to figure out and revamp everything.

The lighter weights, slow negatives and a good squeeze on everything possible creates TUT and also alleviates the pressure on the joints from heavier weights. I knew a couple guys that tried it with heavy weights and it just tore their joints up. The slower negatives and hard squeezing at the top eliminates some of the high rep work that can cause stress on the joints as well.

Pre exhaust for the bigger muscle groups allows for the lighter weights to be more effective. The supers, trisets, and giants of opposite muscle creates a synergy for growth and same muscle supers, trisets and giant allows different angles all at once, add in some TUT work while doing it and in a few weeks, relief should come for the joints.

When you get some good routines down, you can start switching up different techniques.

Mind to muscle is very important as well. It started for me during the squeeze then next through the slow negative. Weight can't be to heavy or light though. You'll find a sweet spot for whatever exercise you are doing but it does take time.

It worked well for me because I'm motivated by challenge.

H

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm with Rich on this one. I train like this and it kicks your ass more than any type of strength training. I do however switch up my rep ranges often though, but I like to hit around 6 weeks with very high rep ranges and many drop sets. I do a lot of the stuff that CT Fletcher and Mike Rashid incorporate into their training. The results are nothing short of amazing for me and the guys I train. Nothing like squatting 225 for 40 reps and feeling like your quads are about to literally blow up. I usually stick to around 20-30, but once in a while I'll muster the strength/stamina to put up 40. I believe a lot of guys don't try this type of training because it's too difficult for them. I have backed that theory up many times in my gym I take the guys who have been training for a while and already built good and put them through some of my routines and they drop out quick saying I'm a machine and they don't know how it's possible to do what I'm doing. It's called determination and a strong will to be better than I was the day before. It's tough, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

McDuffy

Reaction score
Google is about to become your best friend :)

You can find anything.

H

I goodled a lot of this stuff, i'm not really going to get to try it this cycle much as POB is handling my training but next cycle i'll take some emphasis off heavy lifting and incorporate more of this type of work. My new gym has a bunch of huge guys that lift light weight, seems strange but its obviously working

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm with Rich on this one. I train like this and it kicks your ass more than any type of strength training. I do however switch up my rep ranges often though, but I like to hit around 6 weeks with very high rep ranges and many drop sets. I do a lot of the stuff that CT Fletcher and Mike Rashid incorporate into their training. The results are nothing short of amazing for me and the guys I train. Nothing like squatting 225 for 40 reps and feeling like your quads are about to literally blow up. I usually stick to around 20-30, but once in a while I'll muster the strength/stamina to put up 40. I believe a lot of guys don't try this type of training because it's too difficult for them. I have backed that theory up many times in my gym I take the guys who have been training for a while and already built good and put them through some of my routines and they drop out quick saying I'm a machine and they don't know how it's possible to do what I'm doing. It's called determination and a strong will to be better than I was the day before. It's tough, but if it were easy everyone would be doing it.
da fuk!!!!! Where you been???

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I goodled a lot of this stuff, i'm not really going to get to try it this cycle much as POB is handling my training but next cycle i'll take some emphasis off heavy lifting and incorporate more of this type of work. My new gym has a bunch of huge guys that lift light weight, seems strange but its obviously working

You might like what POB puts out for you. If you keep up your end (not saying you wouldn't) he will make you grow. It's tough to change something that your doing when you get results. I wouldn't have made the switch if I wasn't having so many problems with neck, back, shoulders and knees.

You also have an advantage with him because you will learn to train heavy with safety and long term health in mind.

H

Last edited:

Live2Train

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know right. I've been busy as hell with the softball season. I even cut way back on the gym and now that the season is coming to an end I'm a little pissed about it It's tough to go to the extreme on both at the same time though. How have you been bro? I'm back now and ready to get jacked!

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
I love high volume training. I tend to keep the first couple sets of every excersise heavy weight and kill it with high volume.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know right. I've been busy as hell with the softball season. I even cut way back on the gym and now that the season is coming to an end I'm a little pissed about it It's tough to go to the extreme on both at the same time though. How have you been bro? I'm back now and ready to get jacked!
Live2train replied

New Threads