weight loss for wife

Reaction score
My wife has had back to back kids and is about to be done with breast feeding and needs to lose of considerable amount of weight what would be best to help her burn off all the excess fat her diet is pretty healthy and gets some exercise throughout the week but nothing seems to help any advice

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Actually, my wife has lost 60+ pounds doing the team beachbody workouts (dvd's) 10 mins here 25 mins there... Worked for her anyways..

Reaction score
I have a friend that tried that she's doing the new p90X but after 3 months has only lost 7 lbs

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
HIIT and LISS. Hi intensity interval training and low intensity steady state

have her do sprints or fast paced walk/running for 40-60 seconds, than walk 2 min. other days have her to 40-50min of same intensity cardio.

it will confuse the body somewhat and should allow her to keep losing fat/weight instead of hitting a wall after X amount.

a low carb diet for short periods of time will help too.

how much weight does she (or more importantly you) want to lose?

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
I can't speak for p90X .. But my wife did 10 min trainer , then T-25, now she's doing a 21 day fix... My wife previously was never active so I'm sure that had something to do with it also...

Reaction score
thats the thing she needs to lose over a 100 lbs so running is going to be really hard on our knees and she already has a bad knee plus we have 4 kids total so time is limited she's willing to put in the work but she wants a little something to put her on the fast track as well

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
thats the thing she needs to lose over a 100 lbs so running is going to be really hard on our knees and she already has a bad knee plus we have 4 kids total so time is limited she's willing to put in the work but she wants a little something to put her on the fast track as well

I'm not trying to pimp their stuff, but have her take a look at 10 min trainer... My wife was against the idea of working out, but the whole 10 mins a day thing motivated her... Good luck.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

buy a treadmill or excerise bike for your home. with 4 kids going to the gym is going to be tough. an elliptical would be nice as well

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
there is no fast track, sorry but only diet and a solid commitment to exercise is what she needs to be thinking about...there are tons of exercise DVD's she can get (and do at home) that will be at her level and then she can progress to higher levels as she gets there. If you can afford a piece of cardio equipment that would be great, if not..saddle those kids up and go for a long walk. :)

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
and, I know you are in the Female Anabolics Discussion...but, no one in their right mind is going to suggest anything other than diet and exercise for her.

Reaction score
and, I know you are in the Female Anabolics Discussion...but, no one in their right mind is going to suggest anything other than diet and exercise for her.

well right now she's having problems with swelling in her legs and feet she's going to have blood work tomorrow our friend who is a nurse practitioner said it could be blood clotting diabetes or a thyroid condition she does have thyroid issues that run in her family anything for that

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well right now she's having problems with swelling in her legs and feet she's going to have blood work tomorrow our friend who is a nurse practitioner said it could be blood clotting diabetes or a thyroid condition she does have thyroid issues that run in her family anything for that

Nope, she needs to see a doctor. If they find a thyroid problem they will give her the correct medication for that. :)

Reaction score
In my opinion your wife needs

to ask her doctor if she can see a nutritionist to help with all of her issues. Once they get her on a good, solid eating program, she can add exercise to speed up weight loss and improve health. Walking, recum. bike, resistance training will all help. 4 kids is a big challenge! Maybe you can offer to take them off her hands while she works out? There are also trainers that will come to your house and do their thing. Check Craigslist or a local fitness center. Remember, this is a marathon and not a sprint! The weight will come off as she builds muscle but obviously will not happen over-night. I'm not a huge fan of exercise programs on DVD's. People tend to love them for a month or so, then fall off the program. Vince Gironda swore by KELP to support thyroid - might want to give that a try? Available at any good vitamin shop. GOOD LUCK!

Hotmess

Lady Member
Reaction score
I lost 40+lbs and it has taken me around 2 years. It takes time. The most effective things I did was fasted cardio.. and changed my diet.. my diet mostly consists of clean food, but I choose to flexible diet here and there iifym so I enjoy life's lil pleasures in moderation. I firmly believe that no work in the gym can cancel out a bad diet.
Oh and I like to lift heavy.. :) kudos to you for being a very supportive husband

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would tell her to start by being active and eating better. Like Jenner said, talk a walk with the kiddos. My buddies wife fell into a rut after having kids and gained a significant amount of weight. About 2 years ago she decided to start taking walks and eating better. Then she took some boxing cardio classes and progressed to circuit training with weights. She has completely transformed her body, but like Hotmess said, it took a couple of years. Congrats to your wife for wanting to get in shape, I hope she gets a clean bill of heath from the Doc. My wife is in the process of starting to workout again after having a full hysterectomy last fall. It can be hard. Best of luck to her.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone the extra weight has been hard on her causing a lot of depression especially since she use to be in really good shape I'm trying to keep her motivated and make sure there's no junk food lying around the house hopefully this health scare will make her realize how important diet really is I just want to see her healthy and happy again

Oldebull

Reaction score
I'm a little scared from your original question. I think you planning your wife's fitness, weight loss, opens the doors for a lot of arguments, resentment, hurt feelings, etc. I can appreciate you trying to help, but in my opinion, she needs to be the one initiating these questions, seeking answers, and making plans. Speaking strictly from my marriage, I have found it is best if we go to the gym together, but split our separate ways once there. If there is a point where you want her to do a specific exercises, or your commitment to her weight loss is different from yours, it can be a sore spot.

In the meantime, provide support and encouragement. Include healthy family activities such as hiking, bike riding, etc. Get outside with the kids as a family. Get moving together. Make a healthy lifestyle for the family what you guys do, not just something you are doing.

ProteinFarts

Reaction score
My wife has had back to back kids and is about to be done with breast feeding and needs to lose of considerable amount of weight what would be best to help her burn off all the excess fat her diet is pretty healthy and gets some exercise throughout the week but nothing seems to help any advice

Goals work really well. Plan a Mexico beach trip. Or a tall hike to train for. Etc etc. My wife is one of those skinny chicks that can't gain weight no matter what. Two months after the second baby she's back at 98lbs. With our third baby we played a game to see how big she could get. She got big. Afterwords I was like "oh shit what did I just do". Bodies don't like to change. If they are fat they prefer to stay that way and skinny much the same. It takes a bit of convincing and before you know it it will be a run away train - hopefully going down. My wife took OxyElite with great success to help convince her body to go back down. I wrote a great, not your average, weight loss book - well ebook. I won't plug it here but you can PM me and I can email you a free copy. It's comparatively short and a easy read.

regular

SI Founding Member
Reaction score

She should maintain a significant caloric deficit while avoiding dense sources of carbohydrates and exercising frequently.

New Threads