The CUBE Method

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The CUBE Method was created by Brandon Lilly. Brandon Lilly was a westsider for some time and you can see the influence of that Westside training in his program. The very core of the program isn't much more than a "no frills" Westside. If you love Brandon, or the cube, or both--please don't take that as an insult, being as how Westside creates champions (like Lilly).

The CUBE Method philosophy

1) PRs are for the platform--A gym PR is folklore and grows with the passage of time.
2) Don't miss lifts--Don't be overzealous and miss lifts by overestimating your abilities.
3) Each method is as important as the next--Don't play favorites and just "go through the motions" with days other than your favorite.

Layout of the Cube

You will lift 3-4 days per week in the cube method. Each day of the week will be will be dedicated to a particular method. The cube is set up as a 10 week program.

Your FIRST week will look like this:

Day 1: Max effort squat day
Day 2: Dynamic (explosive, as Lilly refers to it) effort Bench press day
Day 3: Repetition day for Deadlift
Day 4: Bodybuilding day (optional)--for Overhead presses and other lagging groups.

Your SECOND week:

Day 1: Repetition Day for Squat
Day 2: Max effort Bench press
Day 3: Dynamic Deadlift day
Day 4: Bodybuilding day (same as week 1)

Your THIRD week:

Day 1: Dynamic Squat Day
Day 2: Repetition Bench Day
Day 3: Max effort Deadlift Day
Day 4: Bodybuilding day (same as week 1)

Week 4: Back to week 1

Did you catch the pattern? You will do each method (ME, DE, Rep) only once per week per lift. For example, you will never max bench, squat, and DL in the same week.

Weights and Loading

Heavy Day Wave 1: 80% x 2 reps x 5 sets
Heavy Day Wave 2: 85% x 2 reps x 3 sets
Heavy Day Wave 3: 90% x 1 rep, 92.5% x 1 rep, 95% x 1 rep

Dynamic Day Wave 1: 50% x 3 x 8
Dynamic Day Wave 2: 55% x 3 x 8
Dynamic Day Wave 3: 60% x 3 x 8

Rep Day Wave 1: 70% x 8 reps x 1 set
Rep Day Wave 2: 80% x 8 reps x 1 set
Rep Day Wave 3: 90% x 8 reps x 1 set

Acceptable Core Lifts:

Squat (no other lifts)
Bench press and other major presses (not OHP)
Deadlift/deficit DL

Assistance Lifts

After each core lift, you will chose between 3-5 accessory moves, and do them in a bodybuilding scheme (set/rep range).

Now before anyone gets mad at me and screams "hey man, that isn't right, I got the e-book and it says..." let me say this: Kiss my ass. You should have posted up. This is a pretty good representation of what the CUBE Method is about, but it isn't the cube in its entirety. Lilly is actually pretty specific about which exercises he believes should be used, and I don't necessarily believe that you need to do the exact program, but you should follow the spirit of it. This should get you there.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Nice post man.

Starting week 4 or wave 2 tomorrow. Like it so far but like I've said in a different thread I don't feel like u go heavy enough on heavy days. But i shall see if it works in 6 weeks.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice post man.

Starting week 4 or wave 2 tomorrow. Like it so far but like I've said in a different thread I don't feel like u go heavy enough on heavy days. But i shall see if it works in 6 weeks.

Ecks, I'm thinking about running the cube also. How did you like the 1st 3 weeks? I have never ran a program or anything and Jol recommended the cube. I kinda feel like it looks light on the big 3 all the way through, but guys much bigger, stronger, and smarter than me use it so....what the hell....I'll give it a whirl.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
shit ya man! jo liver is one awesome dude!

anda pm has been sent 2 ya!

Last edited:

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Im gonna start it within the next few weeks

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Ecks, I'm thinking about running the cube also. How did you like the 1st 3 weeks? I have never ran a program or anything and Jol recommended the cube. I kinda feel like it looks light on the big 3 all the way through, but guys much bigger, stronger, and smarter than me use it so....what the hell....I'll give it a whirl.
I like it man. So far so good. I've never followed any strength program before so I will see how this goes after week 10. If i don't PR then in goin back to my type of training again. Lol.

It calls for a lot of accessory work which I like but I still feel the heavy days aren't enough but still sticking to what the program calls for and will see if it works.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you guys feel that being chemically enhanced is better in terms of these pl programs?

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Is this a serious question lol ofcourse ! Your gunna get huge

What i meant is is it still possible to obtain great results doing any pl routine without being chemically enhanced?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
What i meant is is it still possible to obtain great results doing any pl routine without being chemically enhanced?
of course man. There's plenty of natural PLers out there that follow programs just like this.

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
I hope so cuz im natural and plan on doing it during summer !

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I hope so cuz im natural and plan on doing it during summer !

Nice! Gl bro! Im gonna see how it pans out... Then might add some chems if need be

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score

Dude I trained with a PL team this past Sunday and watched two different guys bench over 700 with a shirt. And I know for a fact they don't use hormones

TheBlob

Elite
Reaction score
Geeeezus 700 bench..Thats incredible.. I love that shit

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score

Being natty and powerlifting requires you to program your training in such a way as to make the quickest and most efficient progress/strength BUT while also considering recovery. As you become more advanced the stress required to drive further adaptation becomes so much that recovery must be actively planned for or else you'll overtrain and regress. As a novice, your gains are so quick bc you're not adapted so any stimulus will stress adaptation and your recovery abilities are very quick so linear progress is preferred. An intermediate or advanced lifter cannot make linear progress bc the stress needed to drive adaptation cannot be recovered from in time for the next workout. This is why you'll see many programs have structured deloads every so often or in the case of some others you'll see active recovery days as part of each work week where <80% 1RM Intensity is used and volume is also dropped.

My point is that you've got to tailor your programming or pick an existing successful program to your current level of advancement. If you don't overtraining is a real possibility or the flip side would be artificially slower progress than could be made. AAS allows for increased anabolic activity, increased recovery, allows you to work harder for longer so it will change the way you can program the training.

Oh and before Joli jumps on this :p....Westside is an example of a program that doesn't really need much in the way of deloads bc you're never working with high intensity on he same lift for prolonged periods of time. Your main lift may change every week or two which will allow you to prevent many of these issues But I'm not sure a novice would be best suited running a program like this.

New Threads