The CUBE Method

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Being natty and powerlifting requires you to program your training in such a way as to make the quickest and most efficient progress/strength BUT while also considering recovery. As you become more advanced the stress required to drive further adaptation becomes so much that recovery must be actively planned for or else you'll overtrain and regress. As a novice, your gains are so quick bc you're not adapted so any stimulus will stress adaptation and your recovery abilities are very quick so linear progress is preferred. An intermediate or advanced lifter cannot make linear progress bc the stress needed to drive adaptation cannot be recovered from in time for the next workout. This is why you'll see many programs have structured deloads every so often or in the case of some others you'll see active recovery days as part of each work week where <80% 1RM Intensity is used and volume is also dropped.

My point is that you've got to tailor your programming or pick an existing successful program to your current level of advancement. If you don't overtraining is a real possibility or the flip side would be artificially slower progress than could be made. AAS allows for increased anabolic activity, increased recovery, allows you to work harder for longer so it will change the way you can program the training.

Oh and before Joli jumps on this :p....Westside is an example of a program that doesn't really need much in the way of deloads bc you're never working with high intensity on he same lift for prolonged periods of time. Your main lift may change every week or two which will allow you to prevent many of these issues But I'm not sure a novice would be best suited running a program like this.

Dang doc this is what i wanted to hear! Details! Its all in the details!

I basically started asking this question for any of those out there who do not use aas, i think it would be great, if we dont already have something, to put together a separate thread with what doc has said explaining how different a non aas user goes about his training as opposed to an aas user...

Then q and a's can be had in a separate thread for all those who might need a better understanding and who might need some assistance while not using any aas in their regimen....

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Dang doc this is what i wanted to hear! Details! Its all in the details!

I basically started asking this question for any of those out there who do not use aas, i think it would be great, if we dont already have something, to put together a separate thread with what doc has said explaining how different a non aas user goes about his training as opposed to an aas user...

Then q and a's can be had in a separate thread for all those who might need a better understanding and who might need some assistance while not using any aas in their regimen....

We had another thread recently about how your training changes on cycle or off and many answered they have the same training. To a large degree it can be the same ie lift selection, the split you do, the reps and sets, etc but the way you program progression more than likely will change once off cycle. Again, certain exceptions will always exist.

I think it's a great question to ask, even though you already knew the answer lol, bc as you point out we're getting many new members. Some young, some not ready for AAS, some in between cycles, etc so this info can help that population demographic.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yeah doc, its good for a lot of newbees to also see people post that may or may not use any aas in order to accomplish their goals, i may or maynot be one of those guys...i plead the fif....:

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We had another thread recently about how your training changes on cycle or off and many answered they have the same training. To a large degree it can be the same ie lift selection, the split you do, the reps and sets, etc but the way you program progression more than likely will change once off cycle. Again, certain exceptions will always exist.

I think it's a great question to ask, even though you already knew the answer lol, bc as you point out we're getting many new members. Some young, some not ready for AAS, some in between cycles, etc so this info can help that population demographic.

Yes it NEEDS to be reiterated day in and day out as we have seen recently there was a thread by a newbee... Who cycled and had no reason to really touch the stuff...and countless others... Some just need to know that THEY can have great results without the usage of aas...

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i may have to give this a go.....

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I decided to answer a few questions---with the same post, because post count is like golf....the lower the number--the better.

Do you guys feel that being chemically enhanced is better in terms of these pl programs?

An enhanced lifter will, as a general statement, progress faster than a natural lifter.

I feel that being chemically enhanced is better for any program...

Not for the chess program. You automatically lose it you flip the board and attack the other player.

Is this a serious question lol ofcourse ! Your gunna get huge

Remember, while gaining muscle is a component of powerlifting (to move up weight classes), it isn't a primary goal of the program. If you want to gain more muscle, you must increase accessory volume in a "accumulation" (hypertrophy) phase.

What i meant is is it still possible to obtain great results doing any pl routine without being chemically enhanced?

Yes, it is possible to get great gains in strength and size on the cube without being on AAS. In fact, Dave Tate would be the first to say that he was fooled several times by guys, who he thought was on steroids (though they claimed they were natural) because of their phenomenal performance on the platform. Then later, they would gain hundreds of pounds on their totals when the actually did take juice. He talks about it on youtube. If you can fool DT (who has made a career in PLing) you can fool anyone--and that means that you can get what you want without AAS using these programs.

Nice! Gl bro! Im gonna see how it pans out... Then might add some chems if need be

Keep in mind, if you start the program naturally, your programming percentages will need to be re-evaluated periodically if you decide to start taking juice. You would also want to reconsider the amount of volume due to your enhanced recovery capabilities.

"Let me say this..." LOL!
Great post brother

LOL! Thanks, Frank!!!

i may have to give this a go.....

If you are thinking about it....you might as well come over to the dark side GR. We're like motel 6 up in this bitch....We'll leave the light on for ya...

Reaction score
Not for the chess program. You automatically lose it you flip the board and attack the other player.

Can he still continue if I hit him Cobra Kai style in the nose...made him choke on his own blood?

Rumpy

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Jol's natural, (on the planet he's from it natural to pin yourself ED)

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Joliver, just to be clear, for rep days there will only be one set done for 8 reps, right? Then it's accessory work?

IHI

Elite
Reaction score
Ran this program last spring to mix it up, it was a brutal month and i said screw cardio, my azz was huffing and puffing every WO with cardio like heart rate. May give it a go again and try to do at least a 4 month stint if my old body can handle it, but going to run out this 5/3/1 i started a few months ago and getting good results with.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
How do you execute a dynamic bench press? Just fast and hard lift off your chest?

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
The dude in the video seems to advocate dynamic benching as a way to avoid injury over time.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
The dude in the video seems to advocate dynamic benching as a way to avoid injury over time.

Yes. Sustainability is another benefit of dynamic bench. Lighter weight for triples, between 9-15 sets, and less than a minute rest time. Lots of volume in a short amount of time.

Dynamic squatting is based pretty much on the same principles.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Yes. Sustainability is another benefit of dynamic bench. Lighter weight for triples, between 9-15 sets, and less than a minute rest time. Lots of volume in a short amount of time.

Dynamic squatting is based pretty much on the same principles.

Speed squats were harder then max effort for me!

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Speed squats were harder then max effort for me!

Me too. The limited rest times, and multiple sets of doubles, or 5's tend to kick my ass each week. I'm usually ok in the 50-55% range, with the resistance shit, but 60% has become my least favorite part of the waves.

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Me too. The limited rest times, and multiple sets of doubles, or 5's tend to kick my ass each week. I'm usually ok in the 50-55% range, with the resistance shit, but 60% has become my least favorite part of the waves.

Coach would claim it's the volume kicking are ass with shorts rest, bench easy peasy, squat was a motherfuker.

New Threads