Box Squatting

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
An interesting study on squatting versus box squatting. Emphasis mine. I'm not a Doctor, but as I read this study it seems to suggest the possibility that box squats could be used in place of squats for power and hypertrophy development? (am looking for opposing interpretation in case I'm taking the piss here).

J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Dec;24(12):3195-9.
Comparison of kinetic variables and muscle activity during a squat vs. a box squat.
McBride JM1, Skinner JW, Schafer PC, Haines TL, Kirby TJ.
Author information
Abstract
The purpose of this investigation was to determine if there was a difference in kinetic variables and muscle activity when comparing a squat to a box squat. A box squat removes the stretch-shortening cycle component from the squat, and thus, the possible influence of the box squat on concentric phase performance is of interest. Eight resistance trained men (Height: 179.61 ± 13.43 cm; Body Mass: 107.65 ± 29.79 kg; Age: 24.77 ± 3.22 years; 1 repetition maximum [1RM]: 200.11 ± 58.91 kg) performed 1 repetition of squats and box squats using 60, 70, and 80% of their 1RM in a randomized fashion. Subjects completed the movement while standing on a force plate and with 2 linear position transducers attached to the bar. Force and velocity were used to calculate power. Peak force and peak power were determined from the force-time and power-time curves during the concentric phase of the lift. Muscle activity (electromyography) was recorded from the vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, biceps femoris, and longissimus. Results indicate that peak force and peak power are similar between the squat and box squat. However, during the 70% of 1RM trials, the squat resulted in a significantly lower peak force in comparison to the box squat (squat = 3,269 ± 573 N, box squat = 3,364 ± 575 N). In addition, during the 80% of 1RM trials, the squat resulted in significantly lower peak power in comparison to the box squat (squat = 2,050 ± 486 W, box squat = 2,197 ± 544 W). Muscle activity was generally higher during the squat in comparison to the box squat. In conclusion, minimal differences were observed in kinetic variables and muscle activity between the squat and box squat. Removing the stretch-shortening cycle during the squat (using a box) appears to have limited negative consequences on performance.
PMID: 21132859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That study reports that the differences, while present, aren't enough to consider either lift superior over the other.

Same as my interpretation, yup. Given this, would seem that if one were so inclined they could in fact replace squats with box squats?

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Same as my interpretation, yup. Given this, would seem that if one were so inclined they could in fact replace squats with box squats?

According to this particular study, they are fully interchangeable. Some great squatters believe they are also.

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
so people only box squat ? I'm sorry but thats gay as hell to me, man up and ****in squat like your supposed to ! lol I have never done much box squatting but I might give it a try once a week, why is there stance so damn wide? I've been recently training with my schools powerlifting team and they had me narrow my stance.... im confused now

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
so people only box squat ? I'm sorry but thats gay as hell to me, man up and ****in squat like your supposed to ! lol I have never done much box squatting but I might give it a try once a week, why is there stance so damn wide? I've been recently training with my schools powerlifting team and they had me narrow my stance.... im confused now

Wut? Box squats aren't easy. If anything there is a smaller degree of variation allowed in technique before you miss a weight. And not everyone uses a wide stance. But a wide stance cuts the range of motion and gives your more hip activation. They may have had you narrow your stance because you weren't hitting parallel with your wider stance. But that's just a guess.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Louie is coming for you....and he's bringing a 16" high box with him!!!!!!!!!

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
no i was going below parralel but they were worried about my knees tracking in, now im narrow and i can really open my hips and it almost allows me to bounce off my calves at the bottom, but to me box squatting is the not as gay equivalent to half repping lol but i must be wrong since so many do it

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Louie is coming for you....and he's bringing a 16" high box with him!!!!!!!!!

I wish I could get away with a 16 in high box. My coach made me cut mine off to 13. Lol

widehips71

Elite
Reaction score
I've had to start box squatting for the first time in my life with the team I'm training with now. For me, it's 2x harder. And they've had me widen my stance considerably. They're telling me I'm quad dominant from years of doing it wrong and this will help build my hamstring and hip strength. IDK. It's probably knocked 50lbs off my squat (which wasn't much to start with) but I'm just gonna do what they tell me to do

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've had to start box squatting for the first time in my life with the team I'm training with now. For me, it's 2x harder. And they've had me widen my stance considerably. They're telling me I'm quad dominant from years of doing it wrong and this will help build my hamstring and hip strength. IDK. It's probably knocked 50lbs off my squat (which wasn't much to start with) but I'm just gonna do what they tell me to do

That 50 pounds backwards will add up to 100 going forward. It's hard at first I know , but once you get it you'll never go back.

AlphaD

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That 50 pounds backwards will add up to 100 going forward. It's hard at first I know , but once you get it you'll never go back.

Wide......i just started box squating myself 7 weeks ago....i thank Steel for that advice. I too had drop my weight back drastically myself.....but it has been the best lift i have ever incorporated. ........my legs have grown, and my form has been corrected....

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Wide......i just started box squating myself 7 weeks ago....i thank Steel for that advice. I too had drop my weight back drastically myself.....but it has been the best lift i have ever incorporated. ........my legs have grown, and my form has been corrected....

^^^ this.

Don't underestimate properly done box squats. You dropped the 50lbs to do the lift bc at the bottom position you no longer have the stretch/rebound reflex coming out the hole. Instead you basically stop all momentum and explode up from a static hold. You've got to explode up with the hips and not the quads. Hips should move before anything. So long as you keep good timing on the rebound in a normal squat, the box squat will help develop explosive power as you must drive the bar up with the hips from a dead stop.

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I try to keep everything tight and barely sit down(its more like a touch). And I'm not really to crazy about exploding up. I like to keep everything controlled on this lift for whatever reason. I've been doing them on deadlift day on boy oh boy you can feel your ass, hamstrings, quads everything on fire.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I try to keep everything tight and barely sit down(its more like a touch). And I'm not really to crazy about exploding up. I like to keep everything controlled on this lift for whatever reason. I've been doing them on deadlift day on boy oh boy you can feel your ass, hamstrings, quads everything on fire.

Keep in mind that on of the reasons you box squat is to end your reliance on eccentric kinetic loading and the stretch reflex to develop power. That is why PLers sit on the box, release hip tension and then explode up. The box isnt solely for a depth check, though it's useful that way.

Hero Swole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that on of the reasons you box squat is to end your reliance on eccentric kinetic loading and the stretch reflex to develop power. That is why PLers sit on the box, release hip tension and then explode up. The box isnt solely for a depth check, though it's useful that way.

So your saying that I should relax when I sit on the box? I didn't word my paragraph correctly. I do come to a full stop but I do keep the tension while I'm seating (2 seconds). My bar doesn't swing back much when I sit I try to keep the swing minimum.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
So your saying that I should relax when I sit on the box? I didn't word my paragraph correctly. I do come to a full stop but I do keep the tension while I'm seating (2 seconds). My bar doesn't swing back much when I sit I try to keep the swing minimum.

You can't fully relax, or you will take a ride down a road you won't ever want to visit again, but you want to break the eccentric/concentric chain by releasing the hip flexors when you sit on the box. You basically make a box squat version of the pause bench press.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can't fully relax, or you will take a ride down a road you won't ever want to visit again, but you want to break the eccentric/concentric chain by releasing the hip flexors when you sit on the box. You basically make a box squat version of the pause bench press.

Best explanation of the box squat I've read.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Comparison of box squats and squats. Grading is somewhat subjective, but interesting comparison.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Probably the best info I've seen so far on improving my squat. Can't wait to get this into my routine.

New Threads