Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Box Squatting

Thanks
    Thanked 9,595 Times in 4,800 Posts
    An interesting study on squatting versus box squatting. Emphasis mine. I'm not a Doctor, but as I read this study it seems to suggest the possibility that box squats could be used in place of squats for power and hypertrophy development? (am looking for opposing interpretation in case I'm taking the piss here).

J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Dec;24(12):3195-9.
    Comparison of kinetic variables and muscle activity during a squat vs. a box squat.
    McBride JM1, Skinner JW, Schafer PC, Haines TL, Kirby TJ.
    Author information
    Abstract
    The purpose of this investigation was to determine if there was a difference in kinetic variables and muscle activity when comparing a squat to a box squat. A box squat removes the stretch-shortening cycle component from the squat, and thus, the possible influence of the box squat on concentric phase performance is of interest. Eight resistance trained men (Height: 179.61 13.43 cm; Body Mass: 107.65 29.79 kg; Age: 24.77 3.22 years; 1 repetition maximum [1RM]: 200.11 58.91 kg) performed 1 repetition of squats and box squats using 60, 70, and 80% of their 1RM in a randomized fashion. Subjects completed the movement while standing on a force plate and with 2 linear position transducers attached to the bar. Force and velocity were used to calculate power. Peak force and peak power were determined from the force-time and power-time curves during the concentric phase of the lift. Muscle activity (electromyography) was recorded from the vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, biceps femoris, and longissimus. Results indicate that peak force and peak power are similar between the squat and box squat. However, during the 70% of 1RM trials, the squat resulted in a significantly lower peak force in comparison to the box squat (squat = 3,269 573 N, box squat = 3,364 575 N). In addition, during the 80% of 1RM trials, the squat resulted in significantly lower peak power in comparison to the box squat (squat = 2,050 486 W, box squat = 2,197 544 W). Muscle activity was generally higher during the squat in comparison to the box squat. In conclusion, minimal differences were observed in kinetic variables and muscle activity between the squat and box squat. Removing the stretch-shortening cycle during the squat (using a box) appears to have limited negative consequences on performance.
    PMID: 21132859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

E-Fighter Extraordinaire Joliver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,444 Posts
    That study reports that the differences, while present, aren't enough to consider either lift superior over the other.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Joliver For This Useful Post:

NbleSavage (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by joliver View Post
    That study reports that the differences, while present, aren't enough to consider either lift superior over the other.
    Same as my interpretation, yup. Given this, would seem that if one were so inclined they could in fact replace squats with box squats?

Thanks
    Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    Same as my interpretation, yup. Given this, would seem that if one were so inclined they could in fact replace squats with box squats?
    According to this particular study, they are fully interchangeable. Some great squatters believe they are also.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Joliver For This Useful Post:

NbleSavage (04-07-2014)

Thanks
    so people only box squat ? I'm sorry but thats gay as hell to me, man up and ****in squat like your supposed to ! lol I have never done much box squatting but I might give it a try once a week, why is there stance so damn wide? I've been recently training with my schools powerlifting team and they had me narrow my stance.... im confused now

Thanks
    Thanked 18,076 Times in 7,796 Posts
    Originally Posted by Fsuphisig View Post
    so people only box squat ? I'm sorry but thats gay as hell to me, man up and ****in squat like your supposed to ! lol I have never done much box squatting but I might give it a try once a week, why is there stance so damn wide? I've been recently training with my schools powerlifting team and they had me narrow my stance.... im confused now
    Wut? Box squats aren't easy. If anything there is a smaller degree of variation allowed in technique before you miss a weight. And not everyone uses a wide stance. But a wide stance cuts the range of motion and gives your more hip activation. They may have had you narrow your stance because you weren't hitting parallel with your wider stance. But that's just a guess.
    "Overzealous dosing" -Jin

Rest in Peace Robot Lord. First round of Natty Boh is on me when I make it up there with you brother.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Fsuphisig View Post
    Louie is coming for you....and he's bringing a 16" high box with him!!!!!!!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NbleSavage For This Useful Post:

DieYoungStrong (04-19-2014),Tren4Life (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    no i was going below parralel but they were worried about my knees tracking in, now im narrow and i can really open my hips and it almost allows me to bounce off my calves at the bottom, but to me box squatting is the not as gay equivalent to half repping lol but i must be wrong since so many do it

Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Originally Posted by NbleSavage View Post
    Louie is coming for you....and he's bringing a 16" high box with him!!!!!!!!!
    I wish I could get away with a 16 in high box. My coach made me cut mine off to 13. Lol
    traps are the new abs.

Thanks
    I've had to start box squatting for the first time in my life with the team I'm training with now. For me, it's 2x harder. And they've had me widen my stance considerably. They're telling me I'm quad dominant from years of doing it wrong and this will help build my hamstring and hip strength. IDK. It's probably knocked 50lbs off my squat (which wasn't much to start with) but I'm just gonna do what they tell me to do
    StrengthFirst

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to widehips71 For This Useful Post:

DieYoungStrong (04-19-2014),Tren4Life (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 Times in 2,152 Posts
    Originally Posted by widehips71 View Post
    I've had to start box squatting for the first time in my life with the team I'm training with now. For me, it's 2x harder. And they've had me widen my stance considerably. They're telling me I'm quad dominant from years of doing it wrong and this will help build my hamstring and hip strength. IDK. It's probably knocked 50lbs off my squat (which wasn't much to start with) but I'm just gonna do what they tell me to do

That 50 pounds backwards will add up to 100 going forward. It's hard at first I know , but once you get it you'll never go back.
    traps are the new abs.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tren4Life For This Useful Post:

DieYoungStrong (04-19-2014),ToolSteel (01-06-2016),widehips71 (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,264 Times in 1,934 Posts
    Originally Posted by Steelers4Life View Post
    That 50 pounds backwards will add up to 100 going forward. It's hard at first I know , but once you get it you'll never go back.
    Wide......i just started box squating myself 7 weeks ago....i thank Steel for that advice. I too had drop my weight back drastically myself.....but it has been the best lift i have ever incorporated. ........my legs have grown, and my form has been corrected....
    "A Man's Worth Is No Greater Than His Ambitions" Marcus Aurelius
    #Strength First Boston

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlphaD For This Useful Post:

Tren4Life (04-19-2014),widehips71 (04-19-2014)

fitasfuk50's Operating System DocDePanda187123's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,643 Times in 3,264 Posts
    Originally Posted by AlphaD View Post
    Wide......i just started box squating myself 7 weeks ago....i thank Steel for that advice. I too had drop my weight back drastically myself.....but it has been the best lift i have ever incorporated. ........my legs have grown, and my form has been corrected....
    ^^^ this.

Don't underestimate properly done box squats. You dropped the 50lbs to do the lift bc at the bottom position you no longer have the stretch/rebound reflex coming out the hole. Instead you basically stop all momentum and explode up from a static hold. You've got to explode up with the hips and not the quads. Hips should move before anything. So long as you keep good timing on the rebound in a normal squat, the box squat will help develop explosive power as you must drive the bar up with the hips from a dead stop.
    II==[\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\]--------
    #Strength First Boston

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DocDePanda187123 For This Useful Post:

Hero Swole (04-19-2014),widehips71 (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    I try to keep everything tight and barely sit down(its more like a touch). And I'm not really to crazy about exploding up. I like to keep everything controlled on this lift for whatever reason. I've been doing them on deadlift day on boy oh boy you can feel your ass, hamstrings, quads everything on fire.
    Team Losieloos

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hero Swole For This Useful Post:

DocDePanda187123 (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Hero Swole View Post
    I try to keep everything tight and barely sit down(its more like a touch). And I'm not really to crazy about exploding up. I like to keep everything controlled on this lift for whatever reason. I've been doing them on deadlift day on boy oh boy you can feel your ass, hamstrings, quads everything on fire.
    Keep in mind that on of the reasons you box squat is to end your reliance on eccentric kinetic loading and the stretch reflex to develop power. That is why PLers sit on the box, release hip tension and then explode up. The box isnt solely for a depth check, though it's useful that way.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that on of the reasons you box squat is to end your reliance on eccentric kinetic loading and the stretch reflex to develop power. That is why PLers sit on the box, release hip tension and then explode up. The box isnt solely for a depth check, though it's useful that way.

So your saying that I should relax when I sit on the box? I didn't word my paragraph correctly. I do come to a full stop but I do keep the tension while I'm seating (2 seconds). My bar doesn't swing back much when I sit I try to keep the swing minimum.
    Team Losieloos

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Hero Swole View Post
    So your saying that I should relax when I sit on the box? I didn't word my paragraph correctly. I do come to a full stop but I do keep the tension while I'm seating (2 seconds). My bar doesn't swing back much when I sit I try to keep the swing minimum.
    You can't fully relax, or you will take a ride down a road you won't ever want to visit again, but you want to break the eccentric/concentric chain by releasing the hip flexors when you sit on the box. You basically make a box squat version of the pause bench press.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joliver For This Useful Post:

AlphaD (04-20-2014),Big Worm (04-20-2014),DieYoungStrong (04-21-2014),Hero Swole (04-20-2014),NbleSavage (04-20-2014),Tren4Life (04-21-2014)

Thanks
    You can't fully relax, or you will take a ride down a road you won't ever want to visit again, but you want to break the eccentric/concentric chain by releasing the hip flexors when you sit on the box. You basically make a box squat version of the pause bench press.
    Best explanation of the box squat I've read.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to NbleSavage For This Useful Post:

Joliver (04-21-2014)

Thanks
    Comparison of box squats and squats. Grading is somewhat subjective, but interesting comparison.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to NbleSavage For This Useful Post:

Joliver (04-21-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 921 Posts
    Probably the best info I've seen so far on improving my squat. Can't wait to get this into my routine.
    Don't be a pussy. Crack a high life. Pack a dip. Listen. Beat your ol' lady. Pet your dog.
    Cornelius Coanbread J. Oliver

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milo For This Useful Post:

Joliver (07-26-2015),Tren4Life (07-26-2015)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast