Meet by bastard calves. Can i make them better? Pics

Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentlemen. First of all, it's a pleasure to join this forum.

I'll try to be short and avoid a long text.

I did bodybuilding for a few years but i quit 2 years ago, not because i wasn't happy with my body (i was indeed satisfied with the results) but because i didn't feel the passion for it that i had before.

Since then all i have done is running, which i did already when i was at the gym but now more frequently.

But i HATE my high calves and i admit that when at the gym, i was a stupid lazy didn't train them frequently. I'm tired to never use shorts in the summer because i'm feel pretty embarrassed by my calves and i dont remember the last time i wear them, maybe when i was 15 and i'm 26 now and i hate the summer because of that.

I know that the insertion point cant be changed and genetics plays a big role but can i make them larger if i work them hard and frequently?

Finally, the pics. Thank you all for your time.

7eCOKdzl.jpg
zo8L1Ntl.jpg

Dam7gRZl.jpg
bcsDKIhl.jpg

GreatGunz

Elite
Reaction score
Calves and abs are similar as far as training them you can hit them 3 x per week , Back off the running do some thing else...... Your lower legs lack mass.
i would start pounding the seated calf press and calf toe presses with weight as heavy as you can safely handle.
that should help with width an mass.

Now as far as not wearing shorts that's rediculous...!!!
Put your shorts on go outside and enjoy the sun.
now you can build those calfs

amore169

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My calves are also pretty high also, my experience is that calves take a lot of punishment cause we used them for everything so they need to be workout pretty hard. I trained them 2-3 times a week and I do pretty much everything to make then grow, from high reps to low reps. Good luck.

Reaction score
GreatGunz, thank you for yor reply. Now the question is, i'm not in the gym and i dont want to pay just to go there and work calves. I'm thinking about buying a standing calf raises machine, but i have to see the prices yet. Thanks

amore169, thank your for the reply. Yes i guess they need hard and frequent training. I've read that most of people have good results with high and controlled reps, with full range of motion. And did they grow for you? Thanks

Reaction score
Like amore my calves are high as well. Do some reverse calf raises and build up your tibialis anterior.

shenky

Reaction score
We get a lot of Q's about calves here and no wonder - they're a pain in the ass. Now, I'm certainly not yoked quite yet, and similarly I don't sport monster calves. My calves have, however, seen some growth in the past month. I did prety much exactly what Great Gunz and amore suggested in this thread and trained them 3-4x per week, with a combination of drop sets and heavy weight low reps. I do believe it's partially a genetics thing and that at some point you may have to deal with having less than superb calves. My friend, for instance, has abs that pop out at 15 percent BF and monster calves and he never works either.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Honestly....don't even trip on your calves yet. You haven't started to fill out the rest of your legs, what makes you think your calves would be any different? Not trying to be a dick, but once you start gaining some serious weight everything should grow.

Reaction score
shenky so you train them with high and low reps?

Azog i'm not interested in gaining weight in my upper legs. I'd just like to grow some calves.

f.r.a.n.k.

Reaction score
Honestly....don't even trip on your calves yet. You haven't started to fill out the rest of your legs, what makes you think your calves would be any different? Not trying to be a dick, but once you start gaining some serious weight everything should grow.

I second this

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cant change ur genetics man. Work with what ya got. Hammer calves everyday.

Reaction score
Yes i know i cant change my genetics and i'll always have high calves, no matter what. I guess that, as any other muscle, they'll grow with proper training and protein. Calves are slightly different because we are constantly work them, so they need more intense and frequent training. But in the end, it's just a muscle like any other i guess.

Azog

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
shenky so you train them with high and low reps?

Azog i'm not interested in gaining weight in my upper legs. I'd just like to grow some calves.

So you only wanna gain weight in your calves? Good luck. It's my experience that unless you are adding scale weight, don't expect your lagging body parts to grow.

italian1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree partly with Azog. It is easiest to grow everything all at once. That's how I was taught. You want big calves? Work chest. You want big chest work quads etc etc. i do believe you can build lagging body parts though but it takes time before your gonna see results. I have good calves so I don't know why it's so hard for some people. But with any lagging part if you torture it enough eventually it will grow.

Reaction score
So you only wanna gain weight in your calves? Good luck. It's my experience that unless you are adding scale weight, don't expect your lagging body parts to grow.

Well, yes. I'm not really interested in gaining mass anywhere else but calves. Thank you to share your experience.

Reaction score
I agree partly with Azog. It is easiest to grow everything all at once. That's how I was taught. You want big calves? Work chest. You want big chest work quads etc etc. i do believe you can build lagging body parts though but it takes time before your gonna see results. I have good calves so I don't know why it's so hard for some people. But with any lagging part if you torture it enough eventually it will grow.

Thanks. Even though your good calves genetic, you still train them hard and frequently?

italian1

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
No. Maybe once a week. Chest was my week part for longest time. So that I would train at least twice a week. It definatly will take a solid 6 months before you start to see any change.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I second this

I third this.
I wouldn't be ashamed to wear shorts because most the majority of people don't have much for calves.
I think you need to train legs as a whole to develope good calves. You really need to hammer calves hard. I mean brutalized them. And I don't think you'll get that from a home machine alone. Of your serious go pick your self up a $29 a month 24 hour fitness membership and train your legs properly. It wouldn't be a bad thing to go to the gym a few times a week just to stay fit. You don't have to body build but already you'll have access to all you need to train legs properly and get the calves you want. You feel better and healthier over all as well. Maybe add a few years to your life.
Other wise your other option would be implants. And imo that's for losers.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I've said this before in a different thread but I'll say it again. My buddy who works with me has the biggest calfs I know of. He's never worked out. All he ever did was body weight calf raises at work off the cement floor. He did 100s and 100s of reps a day whenever he had down time. I swear to god they r ****ing huge. Lol. So I'l yes u can grow your calfs and not the rest of your legs. Just pound them with high reps and low reps. My 2 cents.

New Threads