Squating to or below parallel. Necessary?

4acesbro21

Elite
Reaction score
For the purpose of looking good and having a good core , is squatting deep better for u ?? I was told from a lecturer that it is basically unnecessary and u only need to o like 10 inch below waist height ? But the majority of stuff i read all encourage deep squat and ass to grass etc ?

T

TriniJuice

You go as deep as you feel comfortable with,
I've recently started doing ATG squats this year. .had 2get a kneew brace for my left knee, wideN my stance and lower the weights but im extremely comfortable with everything from posture to form so I continued to them.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
It is not a true squat unless the acetabulum is below the top oft he patella. Ass to grass may be worse for you depending on some things. If you lack hamstring flexibility you'll lose lumbar extension trying to go ATG. So long as you break parallel you're fine.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For the purpose of looking good and having a good core , is squatting deep better for u ?? I was told from a lecturer that it is basically unnecessary and u only need to o like 10 inch below waist height ? But the majority of stuff i read all encourage deep squat and ass to grass etc ?

Does said lecturer have 29 inch thighs?

just break parallel or else you are a phony.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

I would have given the lecturer the same response Billy Madison got after he told everyone about the puppy that lost his way.

1/4 squats are about as cool as a wet fart in the middle of the dessert.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Run a test; do 1/4 squats on one day and full deep squats on another. See which one has you gimping for 2 days. I already know the answer but it will get the point across. Just be careful not to bounce the deep squats to avoid knee issues.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If u dont break parallel ir doin half reps.

f.r.a.n.k.

Reaction score
If you have to ask this I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you to go ass to grass. Olympic lifters train for years and they bottom out ass to grass.
For what you are looking for, break parallel. The "hybrid" squat dtown posted above.
I think if you tried ass to grass that your form would be off.
I break parallel. Some days I do go ass to grass. Like on a week where I deload the weight, I drop that ass low and explode out. But for any other squat day, like today actually, I break parallel.

guchie

Reaction score
I can say that was funny as shit. That's a new one..

guchie

Reaction score
DieYoungStrong, that reply was funny as shit . Going to put that one in the books.

JAXNY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh btw. ATG for me. I take my hack squats just as deep as well. I can't stand seeing people doing partial reps, especially when they have a shit load of weight on.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you want to look good and have a good core do front squats and some other leg accessory work.

We can debate squats all day and have in about 50 threads on this board.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you want to look good and have a good core do front squats and some other leg accessory work.

We can debate squats all day and have in about 50 threads on this board.

1/4 depth front squats?? California Style or Racked like a man??

New Threads