Opinions on powerlifting

cotton2012

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Would like to see some opinions on how powerlifting can help my bodybuilding efforts.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh **** here comes the second longest thread of the week. I will let the others begin...

POB will probably have something to say on this because he used to be a BB from what I understand and now he is a maniac PL.

f.r.a.n.k.

Reaction score
Plenty of bodybuilders use PL in their routines. Especially off season.

LOL Dtown!

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
We are on a roll FRANKY! We are on a roll baby! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOO

Ok I will shut up now. That's the halo and TNE talking.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You'll get uglier. Not sure how that will help

SEEK! And after you told me I was the most handsome man you had every seen. You lie! Just like all men!

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Oh **** here comes the second longest thread of the week. I will let the others begin...

POB will probably have something to say on this because he used to be a BB from what I understand and now he is a maniac PL.

Trained like a BB might but honestly I sucked at it.

Cotton is the compound lifts are what build size what would logically be expected from lifting those same movements but with much more weight?

Truth is a PL legs are smaller than a BB as are the arms. Not always. But out backs will blow away a BB any day.

Your best bet to be a great young bodybuilder is to spend most of your time doing your bench squats and deads in a 3 to 5 rep range. Then from there using some isolation to really get deep into the muscle. This is how I train currently for the most part. I jumped from 220 to 250 very quickly once I started PL.

f.r.a.n.k.

Reaction score
Trained like a BB might but honestly I sucked at it.

Cotton is the compound lifts are what build size what would logically be expected from lifting those same movements but with much more weight?

Truth is a PL legs are smaller than a BB as are the arms. Not always. But out backs will blow away a BB any day.

Your best bet to be a great young bodybuilder is to spend most of your time doing your bench squats and deads in a 3 to 5 rep range. Then from there using some isolation to really get deep into the muscle. This is how I train currently for the most part. I jumped from 220 to 250 very quickly once I started PL.

My 5/3/1 program is like this.
Heavy compound lifts followed by high volume isolation for accessory

T

TriniJuice

My new routine I incorporated both styles of training
Heavy leg/upper body days i do between 2&6 reps
While my Light days are 12+ reps minimum

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
PL is for the young pups; get a base to work with so when you get old and end up doing reps of 20, you still can keep some size. Ow that includes that big ass you got from squatting the house.

If you can't be the strongest PL at a meet, be the best looking one. If you can't be the best looking BB at the show, be the strongest. Just do what you love and you'll do it for a long time.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
PL is for the young pups; get a base to work with so when you get old and end up doing reps of 20, you still can keep some size. Ow that includes that big ass you got from squatting the house.

If you can't be the strongest PL at a meet, be the best looking one. If you can't be the best looking BB at the show, be the strongest. Just do what you love and you'll do it for a long time.

Damn I am neither of those! Does being charming count?

GreatGunz

Elite
Reaction score
I disagree snake..... All though I should agree!

POWER LIFTING ROCKS......5/3/1 is a blast!

RJ

Reaction score
531 is the shit! actually getting ready to start it again after a year break.

cotton, strength breeds size, not the other way around (which is how most BBers think it works). I pissed away 13 years of lifting before i met a PLer and he changed my life. I vary my workouts now based on age and goals, but i always lift heavy (as long as i can anyway).

As for being ugly, i've always been that, so it hasn't helped much. Or maybe it has???

yeti

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Ronnie Coleman and Kai Greene.
Ronnie deadlifted 800. Squatted something close too.
Kai Greene squats 600+ for reps and presses something ridiculous as well.

Oh and Colombu has that awesome picture of him deadlifting.

Can't really say anything bad about ANY of these guys' physiques! lol

RJ

Reaction score
Ronnie Coleman... Kai Greene
Can't really say anything bad about ANY of these guys' physiques! lol

yeah me neither. mlp

ronnie-coleman-big-gut.jpg

kai-greene-distended-gut.jpg

RowdyBrad

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Columbu was sick though. Deadlifting cars. He was a fan of lifting very heavy.

New Threads