Cardio on empty stomach yes or no

Reaction score
I'm hearing its a myth but this is we're I get my advice. Thanks folks.

Oldebull

Reaction score
1) For fat loss or conditioning purposes?
2) In theory, cardio on an empty stomach (upon waking) burns more fat. This is a tried and proven method by many.
3) Some will argue that burning calories burns calories and it doesn't matter when, as long as it is done.
4) Consistency and effort is more important than timing.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My clients do LISS fasted and HIIT fed. I find fasted LISS works best for fat loss while.maintaining mass.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
1) For fat loss or conditioning purposes?
2) In theory, cardio on an empty stomach (upon waking) burns more fat. This is a tried and proven method by many.
3) Some will argue that burning calories burns calories and it doesn't matter when, as long as it is done.
4) Consistency and effort is more important than timing.

Unfortunately the theory in #2 doesn't exactly pan out in reality. There have been multiple studies showing that cardio in a fed state does not affect fatty acids being used as a fuel substrate in trained individuals. For beginners, when they do cardio in a fed state it can change what's being used as fuel but once you begin to work out consistently the differences become negligible.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
which is why i also do cardio after lifting. If im just trying to keep shape its 15min. if im trying to burn fat its like 40-45min.

Lifting for 45-50m before hand will burn up everything and by the time you make it to the cardio you should be mostly using fat as fuel.

I sometimes sip 5g BCAA during this time to make sure fat is the primary source of fuel. Do not begin to drink it til your lifting period is over with.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fasted cardio works for me, but I'm also cutting carbs & limiting cals.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter...you want to see results do HIIT! I do all my cardio after I have eaten all day pretty much and with HIIT...not possible to put fat on :) (well, for me anyway)

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Effects of fed- versus fasted-state aerobic training during Ramadan on body composition and some metabolic parameters in physically active men.

Trabelsi K1, el Abed K, Stannard SR, Jammoussi K, Zeghal KM, Hakim A.

Author information

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22248495

Abstract

The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of aerobic training in a fasted versus a fed state during Ramadan on body composition and metabolic parameters in physically active men. Nineteen men were allocated to 2 groups: 10 practicing aerobic training in a fasted state (FAST) and 9 training in an acutely fed state (FED) during Ramadan. All subjects visited the laboratory for a total of 4 sessions on the following occasions: 3 days before Ramadan (Bef-R), the 15th day of Ramadan; the 29th day of Ramadan (End-R), and 21 days after Ramadan. During each session, subjects underwent anthropometric measurement, completed a dietary questionnaire, and provided fasting blood and urine samples. Body weight decreased in FAST and FED by 1.9% (p<.001) and 2.6% (p=.046), respectively. Body fat percentage decreased only in FAST by 6.2% (p=.016). FAST experienced an increase in the following parameters from Bef-R to End-R: urine specific gravity (0.64%, p=.012), urea (8.7%, p<.001), creatinine (7.5%, p<.001), uric acid (12.7%, p<.001), sodium (1.9%, p=.003), chloride (2.6%, p<.001), and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (27.3%, p<.001). Of these parameters, only creatinine increased (5.8%, p=.004) in FED. Creatinine clearance values of FAST decreased by 8.9% (p<.001) and by 7.6% in FED (p=.01) from Bef-R to End-R. The authors conclude that aerobic training in a fasted state lowers body weight and body fat percentage. In contrast, fed aerobic training decreases only body weight. In addition, Ramadan fasting induced change in some metabolic parameters in FAST, but these changes were absent in FED.

Last edited:

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
blah blah blah blah..............................LOL :)

I'll stick to what I do ;)

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
DF, that study isnt really applicable to us. Ramadan is one of the most extreme forms of fasting. No food and no fluids, not even water, from sunup to sundown. It's no wonder they lost more fat since most practicing Muslims lose body fat and weight during this time. Furthermore it doesn't mention how body fat was measured...my guess is BIA which is notoriously inaccurate. Lastly, it relies on a dietary questionnaire. We all know how accurate ppl's perception of their food intake is lol.

Here's a link to one of the greatest brains in the business. At he bottom you'll see links to parts 2 and 3 of the article. Worthwhile read and he looks at all the evidence.

http://alanaragon.com/myths-under-the-microscope-the-fat-burning-zone-fasted-cardio.html

FreeBirdSam

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
subscribed to ask what all these acronyms mean.. lol. :)

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
subscribed to ask what all these acronyms mean.. lol. :)

SEX: (verb/noun) pronounced /seks/

Noun: sexual activity

Verb: to out your dick inside a mouth, vagina, ass, or peanut butter fukk sock, while simultaneously thrusting in and out with the hips and posterior chain muscles. Usually performed until you ejaculate. If cut off before ejaculation occurs it can be referred to as blue balls

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i cant do anything fasted..fat loss is all about how u eat ..I dont do cardio..I do tren hahaha

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
SEX: (verb/noun) pronounced /seks/

Noun: sexual activity

Verb: to out your dick inside a mouth, vagina, ass, or peanut butter fukk sock, while simultaneously thrusting in and out with the hips and posterior chain muscles. Usually performed until you ejaculate. If cut off before ejaculation occurs it can be referred to as blue balls

are you calling out Bundy here?? or DF?? curious?

Reactions: DF

New Threads