how do u deadlift??

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
So I've been deadlifting conventional style since i can remember. I'm 5 foot 8 and not flexible at all. Have a hard time getting into position for the deadlift. So i am going to make the switch to sumo. I know i know. Lol. I just feel like sumo is cheating for some reason but it fits my build and leverages much better.

As some of u know i fukked my rib up so have been taking it very easy but earlier this week i was trying the sumo out and worked up to only 315 but it felt good as hell. Can't wait for the rib to get better so i can test it out with heavier weights.

So how do u deadlift?

Thoughts in sumo vs conventional?

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I do both. I pull regular on Monday, on Thursday I do legs. So, I squat and do sumos. Really has helped me out since I have bad knees. Since I started doing sumos on leg day it's been fantastic as far as gains. Today I did heavy squats then right after sumo deads. Only did like 315 for three sets.

Ps I don't believe you're switching to sumos. Need naked pics or we won't believe you.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Conventional and my DL sucks. Going to toy with sumo for a bit but still continue to pull conventional for my main lift on DL day. No shame in sumo brother. Totals are what count.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I do both. I pull regular on Monday, on Thursday I do legs. So, I squat and do sumos. Really has helped me out since I have bad knees. Since I started doing sumos on leg day it's been fantastic as far as gains. Today I did heavy squats then right after sumo deads. Only did like 315 for three sets.

Ps I don't believe you're switching to sumos. Need naked pics or we won't believe you.
That's the thing I don't like about sumo is I feel it's all legs.

Would u like naked pics while deadlifting or just naked in general??

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Conventional and my DL sucks. Going to toy with sumo for a bit but still continue to pull conventional for my main lift on DL day. No shame in sumo brother. Totals are what count.

I think everyone should use sumo as at least an accessory lift for powerlifting. Hammers the glutes and hams. No wonder why Dan greens ass is so big. Yes very homo.

jennerrator

Fallen Member
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
well, because of lower back issues I had to switch to the hex bar to do my deads...it is what it is, as long as you are doing them period IMO....that's all that counts :)

Luscious Lei

Reaction score
Same here.

I tried to sumo DL a few years back and had awful hams and glutes cramping and thought it was just not for me, so I kept doing regular DL.
However I'm tall and never feel totally right with reg DLs, whether I start with my hips too low, putting too much stress on the legs at the beginning, or I start with right knee angle but then my back is almost parallel to the floor which is quite unfomfortable since I'm stiff as hell.

I thought I would give a shot to sumo DLs again last week and it felt awesome, very natural movement without any discomfort. The only thing slightly annoying is that I find the mixed grip a bit uncomfortable with the sumo stance, double overhand feels much better but then I can't hold the bar long when going heavy. I might use straps to make up for it although I don't like them.

I don't think I'll stop reg DLs but sumo will def be a staple of my back training day.

Oldebull

Reaction score
I think pulling sumo doesn't feel right, but it feels right; Although it does feel like cheating, especially since I am training with a strongman mentality, it feels comfortable and pain free. I've only started pulling sumo @12 weeks ago, and I have been mixing it up every other week. One week conventional, 5/3/1, followed by singles and maybe a rep set, then next week sumo 5/3/1 followed by conventional speed pulls. Seems to be doing the trick.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Leiurus I feel the same way about the mixed grip. I only worked up to 315 so I could still do double over hand but I did try a mixed grip one set and it felt awkward on my left shoulder with the under hand grip. I dunno it's gonna take some time to get used to.

Reaction score
being 6 foot tall i just cant seem to get the sumo to work for me. ive tried several times and it just puts alot of strain on my lower back. i go heavy with over hand grip until i cant hold anymore and then switch to alternating grip which is much easier to hold heavier weights. then i like to throw on the versa grips and go until i get the unbearable back pumps that i hate so much

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've tried all styles. Light weight and heavy. Dreads **** with my lower back. I still do them but they scare me. I think I need a belt. And no I don't round my ****in back either ya prigs. Just too tall, lowering the weight is the problem. Romans feel closest to how it feels when dropping the weight after the pull.

On the fence about how I should approach this personally as most my gains have came from power lifting programs. What I desire to go back to doing.

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Conventional. I can't do anything with a wide stance, even my squat is narrow.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm sticking with conventional.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Have done both. I prefer sumo as it feels better on my low back. I LOVE hex bar deads to hammer the quads though...

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Conventional. I can't pull for shit with sumo. I do use them as an accessory though to hammer my glutes and hams.

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Conventional for sure. I do work in sumos like once twice a month. I Def feel it is more of a leg work out though.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Conventional, I do not do touch N goes! Strictly dead lifts. I try to stay as tight as possible like as if I'm trying to squeeze through a keyhole. My reps are never higher than 5.

LeanHerm

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's the thing I don't like about sumo is I feel it's all legs.

Would u like naked pics while deadlifting or just naked in general??

Naked is naked my dude.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Conventional, I do not do touch N goes! Strictly dead lifts. I try to stay as tight as possible like as if I'm trying to squeeze through a keyhole. My reps are never higher than 5.

Same here Seek. Conventional, no touch and go, only from a stop.

New Threads