Will I be a better/more explosive after all this

Reaction score
Let me explain the whole story, I've had knee issues the last several years (dislocated knee cap in 09, torn meniscus in '11 and developed patellar tendonitis this last year). My doctor who I saw and operated on my meniscus (and who works on pro athletes regularly) says that the source of my knee problems can be traced to my overly stiff hamstrings and has me doing physical therapy to loosen them up. He said they were "very tight" not just somewhat tight but that it would take several months to get them to a good shape. On top of that I've focused on cardio and dropping weight (I'm 18 and 6'1 and weight 190 lbs in the AM), my goal is to drop down to about 175 lbs. of lean muscle by next year. So with my hamstrings and knees being fixed up along with a strict diet and cardio (interval training) should I see an overall improvement in athletic performance? I should add that I have very strong legs, I know that when it comes to pure athleticism it doesn't matter that much but it can't hurt right?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Only way you will get more explosive is to train that way. Squats and plyometrics. You would do well to box squat which has you sit back and squat with the hips. Less knee involvement. And if you use bands it will both have a plyometric effect as well as lighten the load at the bottom where your knee issues make you vulnerable while overloading at the top.

New Threads