pin press VS pause reps

MANBEARPIG

Reaction score
soooo my bench sucks(305 lbs). mostly because my forum was off for the longest time but now i have that corrected. at this point my upper half of the bench is very strong compared to the lower half. i have done pin presses here and there on my chest day but, today i decided to do pause reps ( someone was in my rack otherwise i would have just done pin presses). i think i like pause reps a little better because they seem a lot easier on the shoulders. i did 5 sets in the 3-5 rep range.

i guess im just looking for some advise on how to improve my strength at the bottom of the ROM for bench press. what has worked well for you?

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Pause reps off the chest are good. Keep doing those. Also try pause reps an inch off your chest for a 2 second count. Try throwing some sets of wide grip bench in also. Takes a lot of your tricep out of the lift which could help with the bottom half of the rep. I only bench 225 so take it for what's it worth. ;)

jSalud

Elite
Reaction score
Training for explosiveness I prefer the pins. Can explode up to it instead of stopping yourself.

jSalud

Elite
Reaction score
The paused rep scheme feels like t would produce more hypertrophy. Leading to training past failure points. When I try to increase my lifts it feels like I do better when I don't train to failure but instead increase neural efficiency along with building my form and strength.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
No one said anything about going past failure.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan or standing OHP.

Also something that has got the bar flying off my chest is band work. 50% of your max and about 40% of that in bands

I know that's not what you were asking just my .02

Last edited:

MANBEARPIG

Reaction score
Yesterday I came down slow with the weight. Rested a lot of the weight on my chest but still keeping some tension as to stay tight. Then explosive up. It felt really good. I think the guy that runs the gym over here has some bands, ill see if I can get him to let me use them