Insurance Companies That Pay for TRT?

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
Will someone tell me what insurance companies cover/ pay for TRT?

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
None, that I know of....

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually a lot do, but it comes down to who ur insurance is and who ur doc is,

I have blue cross blue shield and all mine can be covered bu insurance IF the doc can prove that it is neccessary, thats what it comes down to, hell i get my test scripted from my doc and it only costs me $10 per month or $30 for 1 vial for 3 months depending on how fast its use

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I didn't answer this quite right...my insurance blue cross health options would only cover TRT creams, etc.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Tufts covers it under an HMO if medically necessary. That determination is made by the doctor based on blood testing that comes in below range.

RustyShackelford

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My BC/BS covers TRT and my script runs $10 a month. However, my prescription coverage only allows me to get one month at a time. So every month I go in a pick up 4 - 1ml viles for $10.
A few months ago there was a hick up with at the counter and they didn't have it under my insurance. The lady said my total was $117 for 4ml.......I almost passed out.
That's Big pharma for you.

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
Tufts covers it under an HMO if medically necessary. That determination is made by the doctor based on blood testing that comes in below range.

so does each doctor have his own idea of what low range would be? or do they go by a certain standard?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
so does each doctor have his own idea of what low range would be? or do they go by a certain standard?

There are two standards that I have seen. 250 being low or 300 being low. I was at 236 so it didn't matter

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
would it be wiser to just go to anti aging clinic for trt? what's the deal with them?

Reaction score
I copay $20 bucks BC/bs home depot and Starbucks has good health insurance you'll be the biggest barrista there lol

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
I copay $20 bucks BC/bs home depot and Starbucks has good health insurance you'll be the biggest barrista there lol
lol. those really are two of my favorites places.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth..
If you are legit with low t...most docs will prescribe but usually not injectable. TRT clinics will prescribe to any one but won't take insurance...in my experience.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I didn't answer this quite right...my insurance blue cross health options would only cover TRT creams, etc.

If your on a TRT program, the insurance company would rather have you on injectables then a cream. A bottle of test cyp runs about $100 for 10 weeks at 200mg/week compared to Testum at $300 for 30 days.

I guess everyone else answered the OP question. You just have to get tested and oddly enough, hope your TT is at 220.

ccpro

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Snake that makes sense, when I look back it was my Dr's office pushing the creams/gells...they wouldn't entertain injectables unless done by them. I made a bad assumption about the insurance. Then when I went to a clinic they discourage you trying to use your insurance...saying they won't get paid. And I was legit at 135 on my test level. I know many of you have have more liberal Dr's, but in my case clinics too expensive and insurance would only cover a shot every two weeks and it had to be done by the Dr. So, find the right doc or go underground.

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
Snake that makes sense, when I look back it was my Dr's office pushing the creams/gells...they wouldn't entertain injectables unless done by them. I made a bad assumption about the insurance. Then when I went to a clinic they discourage you trying to use your insurance...saying they won't get paid. And I was legit at 135 on my test level. I know many of you have have more liberal Dr's, but in my case clinics too expensive and insurance would only cover a shot every two weeks and it had to be done by the Dr. So, find the right doc or go underground.

ok so lets assume someone went underground for trt. how often would they get bloods done?

event462

Reaction score
If you are a Vet, the VA might cover you for free but it has to be BEYOND low!

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
ok so lets assume someone went underground for trt. how often would they get bloods done?

That can get complicated depending on the state you live in. Some “Nanny States” don’t want you to do your own doctoring and will prevent you from getting your own BW done.

If you are not in communist NY or one of the other states that don’t permit you to get your own BW, you can use Private MD Labs: here’s the link:
http://www.privatemdlabs.com/

You want to use the Hormone Panel for Females, it’s $62.99 plus if you sign up you get a 10% off and they will send you coupons periodically; free to sign up. I know, why the FEMALE one when you’re a male? It’s also used for guys, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE MALE BOX WHEN ORDERING! Otherwise you get female ranges.

As for timing; I would assume you would be using Test Cyp for the long ester so give it at lest a month to level out and then test. Test again at the 3 month mark and assuming you are where you want to be and everything is in check, once every 6 months is fine. If you change your dose or add a compound, you should test again.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

No problem, we are all here to learn. That's what makes UGBB the best place, Brothers caring for Brothers!

Hay if you are at 135, your doctor is a complete ass for not seriously addressing that! You need another doctor that has you best interest at heart. 135 must have you feeling like a 90 y.o. man, no energy, carrying a bit too much belly fat and zero sex drive and performance. Ask for the test results and go to another doctor with them. Tank candidly with the new doctor and tell him your symptoms. He (don't go to a female) will want his own BW to cover his ass but you should be good to go after that.

New Threads