Shin splints

Reaction score
Well I went to run a few miles with my wife and at Mile 2 the aweful shin splints that gave me grief the last 8 years of my Marine Corps career hit me again, does anyone have any idea how to get rid of them!!! Any help on this would much be appreciated TY:32 (20):

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont know if u can..I get then as well so I usually bike or do cardio machines in the gym..Try getting top of the line running shoes it helps alot

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you land on your heals first when you run? And yes, you need orthotics.

bugman

Elite
Reaction score
I hate to just agree with the guys. But yes. I changed to a different shoe and concentrated on my gait and foot placement.

Reaction score
I had a friend recommend the Vibram Fivefinger barefoot running shoes when I talked about getting shin splints. Makes you pay more attention to your gate and try to run toe-heel which really strengthens muscles you don't use a lot in traditional sneakers. I don't buy into the miracle cure some people think they are, but they did help me quite a bit and now I've gone back to regular running shoes without problem.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I had a friend recommend the Vibram Fivefinger barefoot running shoes when I talked about getting shin splints. Makes you pay more attention to your gate and try to run toe-heel which really strengthens muscles you don't use a lot in traditional sneakers. I don't buy into the miracle cure some people think they are, but they did help me quite a bit and now I've gone back to regular running shoes without problem.
All of the claims they made were found untrue and they were sued...

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Stay off the concrete for a while, try and run on grass or wood floor like a gym. Let your shins get use to the impact of running for a while before going full beast mode again. Getting old sucks. Ice and Motrin is pretty good along with rest.

Good running shoes are a solid investment. Also an ortho can help you with your arch or lack of. I got fitted for one for a high arch in my foot and allows some extra flexibility. Keep us posted.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Fuk it. I say just give up the running and do some Skawts!!!!

Beefcake

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Shin splints such. Go on deca, it's great for the joints. Also what they said, run on soft areas for awhile. Treadmill, wood, trails with woodchips are great too.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The only thing that's helped me with my shin splints is the right kind of shoes! I tried everything In the book,doctor included,and shoes helps me the most

Reaction score
Try doing heal walks. Dorsiflex your toes and just walk on your heals for 10-15 yards a few times a day. Once you get somewhat used to it, take your shoes off and try it. Heal walks are one of the best ways to strengthen the muscles on the front of your shins (that are very hard to isolate).

Grinch

Reaction score
Maybe consider a different type of cardio. Something with less impact

New Threads