Red or white?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I hate to be the "fed guy" but that squat probably averages 3 whites in the SPF and would always get 3 reds in the USAPL.

Of course the IPF is the international affiliate of the USAPL and they red lighted Ed Coan after he dragged his balls on the ground at the worlds.

All in, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think deep down everyone knows when they are cheating the squat. You weren't. Good work.

Thanks brother!
This ol' school raw is uncharted waters for me. When I was equipped, I could tell if I shorted it; typically because I was "Feeling for the bottom". I'm not sure how this will go when I get a little closer to my max. Everyone tends to sink it with a 90-95% single.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
joliver why would that get 3 reds?? it was deep as hell

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
joliver why would that get 3 reds?? it was deep as hell

Some Feds are ridiculous in their interpretation of their own rules. Just as the SPF will let a higher squat slide, the USAPL bombed mike bridges out on this 3rd squat attempt:

Last edited:

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Jol,

I slowed it up and he was deeper then me, hands down. The only thing I could think of would be poor judging. He hit it so damn fast, the judge didn't get enough time to see it. Not the lifters fault, just poor judging. There's no extra points for how long you take at or below the required depth. If you've been to just one meet, you've seen the guy in the multi-ply and steel strength knee wraps, probably wearing grooved briefs getting yelled at "LOWER! LOWER! LOWER! UP!" The judge has forever to review his depth.

All this aside, there's an inherent danger to squatting, do we really want to increase the rick of injury by training too low? Not to start a brew haha over depth for God sake, I just feel there is such a thing as too low.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Jol,

I slowed it up and he was deeper then me, hands down. The only thing I could think of would be poor judging. He hit it so damn fast, the judge didn't get enough time to see it. Not the lifters fault, just poor judging. There's no extra points for how long you take at or below the required depth. If you've been to just one meet, you've seen the guy in the multi-ply and steel strength knee wraps, probably wearing grooved briefs getting yelled at "LOWER! LOWER! LOWER! UP!" The judge has forever to review his depth.

All this aside, there's an inherent danger to squatting, do we really want to increase the rick of injury by training too low? Not to start a brew haha over depth for God sake, I just feel there is such a thing as too low.

Judging is the subjective practice of applying objective rules, but for god sakes, every major sport has embraced instant replay. Powerlifting should as well. I've paid a lot of money to travel and participate in some meets where I thought I deserved an appeal with replay. The rule of thumb that most judges forget is that "when in doubt, the ruling should favor the lifter."

Asking lifters to go lower to maintain a fed's tough rep is beyond bullshit.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i know in the lifter meeting the head judge says ,must break parallel. but i get what you mean pob i think the spf would rather give the lifter the call if possible. if you miss in the spf their is normally no doubt. on my misses (in my vast powerlifting/ bench specialty experience) their has been no doubt i blew it. no need to even look at the lights

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
Squat was good but you need to position your head more neutral or up you are looking down and your body will follow your head and that's when we lean forward too much.

If your a low bar squatter your going to have some lean and fixing your head is important, high bar you should be more upright.

You broke parallel, I enlarged the video and paused is frame by frame you broke parallel.

Just fix your head position or you'll pay with heavier weight.

Paolos

Reaction score
Three whites next attempt please

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Jol,

I don't think depth is the risky part of squatting. It's the co-contraction of agonist/antagonist muscles in the hole and compression forces on the joints.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I don't think depth is the risky part of squatting. It's the co-contraction of agonist/antagonist muscles in the hole and compression forces on the joints.

It's dangerous because you are lifting beyond your typical squat depth training. If you train to proper depth and show up to a meet and hear "you better sink it--or else." You work beyond you typical ROM. It changes your mechanics. You are out of your training and comfort zone. You have numbers in your head that you want to attack, but you may not have worked at that depth with those weights.

That is where you find injury. It isn't a mechanical disadvantage, rather it's a lack of familiarity with that kind of loading at that depth.