Mountain Dog Wisdom

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
From John Meadows via the facetubes

EVERYTHING in this industry is context driven.
If everybody understood this we would ask the CORRECT questions.
Is HIIT cardio better than LISS cardio is not a good question.
Would you have someone do HIIT cardio if they had no energy and couldn't produce the requisite interval intensity? If someone had a ton of energy and recovered well would you have them slowly walk on the treadmill?
Are higher loads better than lower loads? Not a good question.
Would you have someone use high loads if their joints were aching? Really?
Is training a bodypart once a week or 2 times a week better? If someone is recovered in 48 hours do you think it is better to wait another half week? Your rationale is "Dorian did it"?
Learn to look at individual situations and context.
Learn to ask the right questions and think....
This will lead you to provide better answers to all these black and white questions people want a yes or no to. The truth is, it's all grey.

Absolute genius. As I continue growing as a coach I am looking less at just random athletes but instead at particular athletes who also coach. Meadows of course is someone I pay much attention to. But this quote above doesn't just apply to my coaching business. It applies to this board. So many times we get questions like is HIIT better than LISS cardio... And many times we ask the OP question after question digging deeper into the CONTEXT that Meadows talks about here.

Anyway, I guess my point in posting this here is that next time you read someones question, before giving out the answer that works for you, or maybe you read is best, instead ask some additional questions. Pry a bit?

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree PoB, it's exactly the same with nutrition. Every single individual responds differently to certain macro percentages. To be a successful coach you have to learn the individual.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Bump for the Mountain Dog, a gentleman scholar in this business.

Good on ya' PoB for the share.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm still trying to learn my own body so I know what to say when someone asks me a question about training.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
John meadows has a lot of solid information.
I'm actually surprised he isn't a lot more "popular" than he is.

Ggeneral

Reaction score
Dude has the best muttonchops ever.