Syringe filters.

Reaction score
Hello.
Ok so here in india i find like four or five types of syringe filters. One was pvdf another was nylon and another ptfe and some more.
Could someone tell me which one is for what purpose. Of course its for filtering but since its made of different material which should be used. Also luer lock ones or not.....???
LOL some dumb stuff maybe...but do help me here..

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You don't have any business picking up a syringe or a filter

T

TriniJuice

I don't think you could find a good enough one to filter the amount of shxt you say.....

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
Filters are used for removing bullshit. In your case, you are going to need something much bigger than a syringe filter.

Bigwhite

Banned
Reaction score
To bad DD asked because that's a danm good quistion. Some filters don't work good with organics. I don't think it would make a difference on a syringe filter but larger volume filtration it would. If anyone would like to explane the different filter materials, I would like to hear it...

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
T

TriniJuice

The TJ simpleton version
Pvdf is used (or best used) for oil, that's all i need to be concerned with

ForkLift

Reaction score
pvdf is what you want to use with brewing
or to filter anything really well!
Some guys say you can get away with using nylon filters for brewing. But 'get away with' is not something one should like to hear when it comes to putting something in our bodies lol.
THe diffrences can't decribe off the top of my head. PVDF is what ALL homebrewers should be using!

Last edited:

Bigwhite

Banned
Reaction score
pvdf is what you want to use with brewing
or to filter anything really well!
Some guys say you can get away with using nylon filters for brewing. But 'get away with' is not something one should like to hear when it comes to putting something in our bodies lol.
THe diffrences can't decribe off the top of my head. PVDF is what ALL homebrewers should be using!
That's what I have. I just never researched the different filtering materials and uses...

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Filters and oil? I thought someone was doing there own auto work. Shows what I know.

Reaction score
Thank you everybody.
**** you trinshit.....

I will be homebrewing..
I figured it would be real cheap considering the prices.
Gotta pay only for raws rest all is kinda free for me. LOL
anyway thak you everyone.
Appreciate the help from senior members

Reaction score
*Nylon66/Polyamide (NY)
Hydrophilic membrane. Resistant to a range of organic solvents. Suitable for use with high pH samples. Binds
proteins, which makes it unsuitable for protein recovery applications.
* Polytetrafluoroethylene(PTFE)
Hydrophobic membrane. Resistant to organic solvents as well as strong acids and bases. Low protein binding. Low in
extractables. Main applications are the filtration of non-aqueous samples. Prior to filtering of aqueous samples the
membrane must be pre-wetted with a water-miscible organic solvent.
* Hydrophilic Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE L)
Hydrophilic PTFE membranes are unsupported membrane that ideal for HPLC and mixtures of aqueous and organic
solvents. Use with both aqueous and organic solvents, along with their mixtures.
* Polyethersulfone( PES )
Hydrophilic membrane. Broad solvent compatibility. Suitable for filtration of aqueous and compatible organic
solvents. Higher liquid flow than either PTFE or PVDF. Low in extractables. Low protein binding.
* Cellulose Acetate (CA)
Hydrophilic membrane. Limited solvent resistance. Very low protein binding capacity, which makes it an excellent
choice for protein recovery applications.
* Polyvinylidene Difluoride (PVDF)
Hydrophobic membrane. Fast flow rate and very low protein binding. Generally compatible with most common
solvents. Ideal for protein recovery applications.
* Mixed Cellulose Esters(MCE)
Hydrophilic MCE membranes. Biologically inert mixture of Cellulose Acetate and Cellulose Nitrate membranes which
have higher protein binding than CA for most proteins. High porosity provides high flow rate. Good use for aqueous
based samples.
* Glass Microfiber/Glass Fiber (GMF/GF)
Hydrophilic material. Excellent compatibility with organic solvents and strong acids (apart from hydrofluoric acid) and
bases. Either used as a prefilter or as a final filter.
* Polypropylene (PP)
Slightly hydrophobic membrane. Resistant to a wide range of organic solvents. Also good choice used as a prefilter
or as a final filter.
Hello.
Ok so here in india i find like four or five types of syringe filters. One was pvdf another was nylon and another ptfe and some more.
Could someone tell me which one is for what purpose. Of course its for filtering but since its made of different material which should be used. Also luer lock ones or not.....???
LOL some dumb stuff maybe...but do help me here..

New Threads