Floor press for mass

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
I hate to be "one of these people" but I cannot make it to the gym due to transportation issues for the next 3 months. I own a barbell and plates, and a pull up bar. I haven't benched in over two weeks and feel like my chest is decreasing. Will a barbell floor press put mass on? I know there's some controversy on the floor press, but this seems to be my only option right now. Will I be able to gain mass with this?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any controversy around floor pressing. I love it. Does wonders for my bench... A good piece to have at home would be something you can do dips on. Great way to hit chest on an off day or when you can't get to the gym.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
If it's all you have and can do, have at it. You'll be farther ahead had you not done anything. I don't do floor presses but once I start a new PL cycle, I'm putting them in. There's too many guys who love them for me not to give it a try. Best of luck

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Loveeeee floor press. Destroys my tris

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
The floor press emphasizes the middle/top part of the bench so more delts/tris involvement and less pec work so I don't think it will help if your focused on retaining strength/size in this area.
Its a good accessory move for PLers and for those focused on improving specific portions of their bench, but for overall chest mass - not so much.

I would personally stick to pushups with a partner adding weight to your back if higher intensity is necessary.
Dips are a good suggestion too if you have something comfortable to use.

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
I'm going to add dips in along with a few push up variations w/weight as well as the floor press. I will update in three months when I'm able to get back into the gym. Thanks guys. Also does anyone know how I can rep on Tapatalk?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add dips in along with a few push up variations w/weight as well as the floor press. I will update in three months when I'm able to get back into the gym. Thanks guys. Also does anyone know how I can rep on Tapatalk?
We don't condone rape here...

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Taking 2 chairs facing each other is a safer plan. Put your feet up on 1 and your hands on the other one. Not much chest at all but a lot of tris

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
Just tried the floor press and chair dips. I could definitely feel the dips in my chest but the floor press felt like it was only in my arms. I also seem to be significantly lighter on my floor press than my bench. I will make do though

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
Craigslist! This time of year, all of the resolutioners are selling their brand new shit that they never even used. You could pick up a decent bench for a few bucks!

Itburnstopee

Elite
Reaction score
Craigslist! This time of year, all of the resolutioners are selling their brand new shit that they never even used. You could pick up a decent bench for a few bucks!

I've actually been checking. I saw a full bench set with like 300 lbs of weights and an Olympic bar for $80. I called the same day and it was sold already.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just tried the floor press and chair dips. I could definitely feel the dips in my chest but the floor press felt like it was only in my arms. I also seem to be significantly lighter on my floor press than my bench. I will make do though

Jol says floor presses should be around 80% of your bench

New Threads