Cytomel (T3)

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Liothyronine sodium is a synthetically manufactured prescription thyroid hormone. It specially consist of the the L-isomer of the natural thyroid hormone triiodothyronine (T3). Thyroid hormone stiumlate basal metabolic rate, and are involved with many cellular functions including protein, fat, and carbohydrate metabolism. Liothyronine sodium is used medically to treat hypothyroidism, a condition where the thyroid gland does not produce sufficient levels of thyroid hormone. Hypothyroidism is usually diagnosed with a serum hormone profile, and may manifest itself with symptoms including loss of energy, lethargy, weight gain, hair loss, and changes in skin texture. The first medication that included T3 was technically a thyroid extract, first given to a patient with my edema in 1891. Natural thyroid extracts contained therapeutically viable levels of the thyroid hormones T3 and T4, and were widely used in medical practice for more than 60 years. In the 1950s, however, these drugs slowly start giving way to new synthetic thyroid medications, namely liothyronine sodium and levothyroxine sodium, which were consistent in dosage and effect, and more desirable to consumers than prepared animal extracts. Although liothyronine sodium and levothyroxine sodium are both widely available in the U.S. and abroad to this day, liothyronine retains a significantly smaller portion of the global thyroid market. Given its more potent and fast acting effect, however, liothyronine sodium remains a popular thyroid drug with bodybuilders and athletes. Liothyronine sodium is most commonly supplied in oral tablets of 5mcg, 25mcg, and 50mcg.

In bodybuilding circles Cytomel is mostly used as fat-loss drug. Thyroid hormones are often referred to as the metabolic regulators of the body. High levels of T3 speed up the metabolism of an individual, allowing him to burn more calories and use calories more sufficiently. Generally ectopmorphic body-types have very high thyroid levels and in some cases a slight undiagnosed form of hyperthyroidism. Both hyper-and hypothyroidism can have severe consequences on an individual, such as goiters and other nasty stuff, so messing with your thyroid is not something I would advise to beginners. As with insulin, misuse of this compound can leave you dependent on exogenous T3 for the rest of your life. So some caution and research is required before putting Cytomel in your body. Generally cycles should be limited to 4-6 weeks tops, it is recommended 3 and alternating cycles with 3-week cycles of clenbuterol. But most importantly, to avoid a crash or a shock to the thyroid function doses need to be built up over time and tapered off again. More so for cytomel than for any other drug in existence. For competitive bodybuilders Cytomel is an almost unmissable aid in contest preparation, along with clenbuterol and non-aromatizing steroids such as stanazolol, trenbolone, methenolone.

Users typically start off with lower dosages and work their way up. It’s usually cycled in a manner which starts off with a low dose and then works its way up gradually to a higher dosage in the middle of the cycle and then slowly tappering by down to the original starting dosage. A sample of this would be to start off with a dosage of 12.5 mcg for a few days, then up to 25mcg, the 50mcg. Some users choose to go up to 75 or 100mcg before tapering back down to the original 12.5 mcg dose.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
good article. I've been looking at T3 and Clen, but the jury is still out on as to whether I want to mess with those at this time.

Reaction score
"Both hyper-and hypothyroidism can have severe consequences on an individual, such as goiters and other nasty stuff, so messing with your thyroid is not something I would advise to beginners. As with insulin, misuse of this compound can leave you dependent on exogenous T3 for the rest of your life."

I have read that even people misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism that has taken too much thyroid medicine for long periods of time had their T4 and T3 levels go back up after stopping the medication.

As a person that has had hypothyroidism for years, I am thinking of adding a small amount of T3 to see if it makes a difference in my symptoms. My TSH is always borderline around 5, and they say it is within range, but a normal person has a range between 1 and 2

Several years ago I switched from levothyroxine to natural thyroid, and that helped a little.

New Threads