Question about lats on the bench

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, I had decided to change some of my training. As I am new to powerlifting and a little less new to lifting in general, I was curious as to know about using the lats for the bottom movement of the bench. I have currently been trying to correct my form (which I wasn't aware of until a friend turned me on to some really insightful videos). :32 (17): So I have been training my lats to activate well, trying at least, because it's hard for me to be mentally aware of everything going on as far as head placement, arch, feet stance, shoulders back, etc. all this going on at one time, takes some getting use to. Oh yeah, I forgot, I had a question. Is the lats activation/ contraction contributing to the lift as I come down to sternum ? is it necessary? Will some of you PL's tell me what's up?

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
yes lats are a big part of benching. Steel once told me your Lats should be sore after a good bench day. Idk the science of the whole bench and which muscles are being used during each part but I'm sure someone will stop by n break it down.

Also was told to bench as if you were ripping the bar apart which I belevie has something to do with your Lats.

A

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You want to feel like you are bending the bar on your way down to your chest...that will properly fire you lats and control the bar

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
When I am set on the bench I retract my shoulder blades which will cause the traps to tighten. At the same time I flare my lats out like a bodybuilder does in a lat spread.

As I bring the bar down my triceps will smash into them giving me a foundation to press off of. So not only does it stop the bars decent so it doesn't sink into my belly, it gives me the initial pop and some drive on the way back up.

Bench is a full body lift. Every muscle can be put to use.

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
so lats should be tight the whole time, just like everything else?

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
so lats should be tight the whole time, just like everything else?

Yup, and unless your Steeler and it comes naturally, it's not easy. It's taken me a couple years to really learn how to get tight.

You'll know you are starting to get it right when you start cramping up on the bench....

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't bench the way these guys do so my input is just gonna fuk you up. The lag flareing thing works if your grip is wide enough. Mine is not.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good thread Mick. I literally have no idea what i'm doing on the bench. I have always lifted by myself so that doesn't help either. Good tips, dudes. I'll try a few of these things today at the gym.

mickems

Elite
Reaction score
Good thread Mick. I literally have no idea what i'm doing on the bench. I have always lifted by myself so that doesn't help either. Good tips, dudes. I'll try a few of these things today at the gym.

yeah, I know. I thought I was doing it right the way bodybuilding.com showed me in their video. lol.

IWannaGetBig

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
SFG,

These 2 videos are awesome. Some really good info there. With my back issues, what can I do to help with my setup so that I am getting my arse and lower back up off the bench?

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
SFG,

These 2 videos are awesome. Some really good info there. With my back issues, what can I do to help with my setup so that I am getting my arse and lower back up off the bench?
Setting up is something you have to force your body to do but as for the back maybe learn some loosening stretches, lacrosse and rumble roller stuff..

Setting up isn't comfortable at all not for me it ain't.

New Threads