newb filter question

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
I think the unfiltered part has to do with the way it is shipped. Living where I do it is still going to work out way cheaper filtering it myself

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
Filtering with syringe filters sucks ass. Even bottle tops and a hand pump aren't ideal. It could seriously take you a day or two to filter 500mls. You will need to sit and babysit and pump it often. There are better methods, but they are even costlier. Hardly worth the expense unless you plan on doing it a lot. If you go with the bottle top method, you are going to need more than one filter. I don't even want to think of how many syringe filters it would take.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I filter 400ml at a time with one 500ml bottle top filter in 15 mins with only pumping my hand pump up like 2-3 times.. What the hell kinda filtering u doing that takes that long?

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Filtering with syringe filters sucks ass. Even bottle tops and a hand pump aren't ideal. It could seriously take you a day or two to filter 500mls. You will need to sit and babysit and pump it often. There are better methods, but they are even costlier. Hardly worth the expense unless you plan on doing it a lot. If you go with the bottle top method, you are going to need more than one filter. I don't even want to think of how many syringe filters it would take.

I don't know what kind of bottle top filters you use but my whatman Zapcap-CR's can filter 500ml of oil in under 25min. Less if I keep the solution warm. Plus I only have to give it a few pumps in between bc it's pretty good at maintaining vacuum. Many bottle top filters are also rated at 500ml of total filtration volume. Yes hey slow down towards the end but not enough to warrant a day or two of filtering by any stretch of the imagination. Syringe filtering that much would suck big balls though lol

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of bottle top filters you use but my whatman Zapcap-CR's can filter 500ml of oil in under 25min. Less if I keep the solution warm. Plus I only have to give it a few pumps in between bc it's pretty good at maintaining vacuum. Many bottle top filters are also rated at 500ml of total filtration volume. Yes hey slow down towards the end but not enough to warrant a day or two of filtering by any stretch of the imagination. Syringe filtering that much would suck big balls though lol
I need these. Those bottle tops took me hours!

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
I said "could". I think it really depends on what you are filtering. I really don't think you are filtering 400 mls of test enan in 15 minutes, even in the best of conditions. Well, at least not at .2um, maybe .45.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
I've brewed tst cyp and enan, deca and tren e and yes they're that quick with a .22um. I'd never use a .45um unless I used it as a pre filter for .22

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
I've brewed tst cyp and enan, deca and tren e and yes they're that quick with a .22um. I'd never use a .45um unless I used it as a pre filter for .22
Yeah, was referring to Four. Said he filters 400ml in 15 minutes.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Yeah, was referring to Four. Said he filters 400ml in 15 minutes.

Have you ever used a bottle top filter? If so which kind? Not trying to put you down or argue with you just relaying my first hand experience with them. I've only used whatman zapcap-cr and the whatman syringe filters. Both .22um and I can say that Four1Thr33 isn't exaggerating. They are very quick. Sure a peristaltic pump and filter can be quicker but the bottle top I've used is good enough for me brother.

Four1Thr33

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
. 22 Zap caps and another brand I can't remember .. I have used them both
500ml size and a hand pump... I have done them warm and cold both took no time at all.. From the glass to the vials takes me the most Time

And I normally cook TC.. I'd assume they would filter with similar times

Last edited:

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
so ive been looking into bottle top filtering as it seems to be the better way for larger amounts. i did biomedical science and chem units at uni so i have a very basic understanding of lab techniques. if i get these three items:

i understand the process of filtering using these items, however am i missing anything? i know im missing the tube to go from the hand pump to the filter but i assume i can just get that from my local hardware store?

my next and main question is how do i get it from the media bottle to the sterile vials (the kind that are allready capped)? is it as simple as getting something like a 10cc syringe with an 18g needle and just pumping it in?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
so ive been looking into bottle top filtering as it seems to be the better way for larger amounts. i did biomedical science and chem units at uni so i have a very basic understanding of lab techniques. if i get these three items:

i understand the process of filtering using these items, however am i missing anything? i know im missing the tube to go from the hand pump to the filter but i assume i can just get that from my local hardware store?

my next and main question is how do i get it from the media bottle to the sterile vials (the kind that are allready capped)? is it as simple as getting something like a 10cc syringe with an 18g needle and just pumping it in?

Before filtering and using the glass media jars, you have to take off a small plastic like O-ring from around the neck. If you leave it on you'll never get vacuum in the system and it'll take hours to filter.....ask me how I know :D.

You also need to sterilize the glass media jars. Take off the cap and o-ring and wash the glass with lab glass cleaner or a detergent...something not fat based. Rinse with tap water 6x till it over flows and do a final rinse or two with distilled water. Bake in the oven at 500deg F for 2hrs.

The vacuum pump should come with a small piece of tubing. You can use it.

The filters you got are the same ones I used (Whatman Zapcap-CR). These filters are NOT sterile. After I've finished filtering and putting the oil in vials you'll need to pressure cook the finished vials in a 15psi pressure cooker. Leave the vials a few inches above the top of the water you put in the pressure cooker. Should come with a little stand to do so otherwise use whatever you can to make sure the water doesn't touch the vials. Pressure cook at 15psi for 1-2hrs and done.

Yes it's as simple as coming in with a syringe and drawing from the glass media jar and pinning it into the vials. I'd use something larger than a 10ml syringe if you're doing 500ml of oil. Make sure to cover the glass media jar in between you drawing from it and filling the vials. Don't leave it open. They make a special lid and rubber septa for this so you can just pin right through it and draw from it while enclosed or take off the top and stick the syringe in to draw the oil. The rubber septa and caps should be soaked in alcohol for 10-15min then put in the oven at 180deg F until dry.

Don't have any windows open, turn off all fans and heaters or air conditioners, no kids around, clean the area thoroughly beforehand, wear gloves, wash your hands, etc. You want to be as clean as you can be.

Reactions: bvs

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
are there types/brands of filters that are sterile so i wouldnt have to pressure cook the vials?

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
Whatman has some as well as the other brands like Nalgene etc. I like whatmans but they're the only ones I've used. They do make a sterile one it's just not the Zapcap-CR and I can't remember the model off the top of my head. The description should say sterile on it or you can call and ask a rep

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
To go from the media bottle to the vial I would suggest the open top media bottle cap. Should be red in color and have a large opening in the top. The get a few septa. This is like a vial stopper. Draw the sterile oil into a syringe this way then into vial.

DocDePanda187123

Reaction score
To go from the media bottle to the vial I would suggest the open top media bottle cap. Should be red in color and have a large opening in the top. The get a few septa. This is like a vial stopper. Draw the sterile oil into a syringe this way then into vial.

I did this too. Just make sure you don't use a huge pin. I forget what gauge I used but it took small chunks out of the rubber that were left in my filtered oil. Had to re-filter all 350ml :(

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I did this too. Just make sure you don't use a huge pin. I forget what gauge I used but it took small chunks out of the rubber that were left in my filtered oil. Had to re-filter all 350ml :(
Warm oil and a 20g works good for me. I won't use a septa more than once though.

Cobra Strike

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont know anything about the zapcap cr but the .22 micron zap caps with the 33/45mm neck will filter your oil sterile. No virus or bacteria can pass through a .22 micron filter so if you have a sterile media bottle your oil will be sterilized after it passes through the filter. Thats the whole purpose of filtering your oil..to sterilize it.

I do have to disagree with doc about taking off the plastic ring that sits around the top of the media vial...vacuum is abke to be produced easily with that ring on the top of the vial..either way works which really renders that point mute lol

Also with or without that ring you will most likely have to put pressure down on the top of the bottle filter to create the seal. Be careful not to let the media bottle slip and your whole setup fall over while doing this.

Its actually very simple to do alot of this stuff so dont het stressed out about alot of the details here.

325f dry heat will kill any bacteria or virus as well. The proper time for dry heat (oven) sterilization (per my microbiology professor) is 320f for 2 hours or 340f for one hour.