Setting Goals in the Gym

McDuffy

Reaction score
I was at bench 275x5. My goal was to bench 315 for reps and i've achieved that goal (315x5). Current goal is to not loss gains during PCT. My next cycle the goal will be to bench 350 for reps. If I bench 340 for reps I'll be happy though, not sure if 350 is too optimistic.

Also goals are to just make general strength gains, pack on size and be sexy. Also have fun

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I want to get more pussy then Bundy and out drink Yaya.

I'm pretty sure I get more pussy then Bundy now, unless paying back page hookers counts.

For my quest against Yaya. I will drink 10 High Lifes tonight, which is about RPE 7 for me. I will use linear progression and add 1 High Life per night until I can take down a case in one sitting.

Baby steps... my beer consumption is pretty high.. I now preferably drink peronis and this chinese shit "tsingtao".. averaging 7 peronis per 45 minutes. .

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Baby steps... my beer consumption is pretty high.. I now preferably drink peronis and this chinese shit "tsingtao".. averaging 7 peronis per 45 minutes. .

I noticed this on Sat night. But, you also had supplements to keep you going. It was like being in a PL competition natty and competing with a guy on a gram of test lol.

Tell me that wasn't the ultimate man cave to drink in though.

Lilo

Trusted Lady
Reaction score
I've never set an exact one. It's kinda difficult to tell what makes a good goal. If it's unattainable, we get disappointed. If the goal is too easy. then reaching it won't mean much. It has to be something which brings satisfaction, but is realistic at the same time, and it all depends on nutrition, training, nutrition...

Adding X inches to arms or shoulders, in Y amount of time sounds like a good plan if you focus on bodybuilding, much as adding X lbs to bench is for powerlifting. But as a noob, when every body part is a lagging body part? Setting realistic goals is one of the most difficult tasks, one of the biggest reasons why some quit and it is frustrating.

Give everything and expect nothing back sounds like a good approach up to a point. Where to go from there... I want bigger shoulders, bigger lats, traps, less thigh fat, all of that. Focusing on one at a time would probably be a better idea... But exactly how much is "which brings satisfaction, and realistic at the same time"? I have no clue

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
I go off looks.
set my goals more for how I look. then I have my goals I set in the weight room.
I weigh 230 lbs now and have a goal to be 240 by the end of this year with a not so bad 6 pack.

rburdge84

Elite
Reaction score
My goal is to be able to put on weight while still maintaining good definition. Also get better development in my quads such as the teardrop look and also my upper traps as well.

Go Away

Reaction score
From a powerlifting standpoint, I've always set training cycle goals - usually 5-10 lbs on certain lifts that are moving well, sometimes it's a rep range i'm excited to try.
Long term, I set a yearly goal, an all-time goal and I always have state records on hand from the federations I fuxk with.

From a dietary standpoint, I've had a date where I would start and a date I would end. I've gained upwards of 40 lbs in 8 months and I've lost 65 lbs in 6 months.
Now, I'm looking to get back to where I can shop for jeans wherever the **** I want... so 38" waist for dat ass is my new goal.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
my original goal setting was in December 2014 and that was simply I wanted to live! I set a goal to lose 100lbs by December 2015 and I smashed the shit out of that in may only 5 months in! then I upped it to 175 lost by December 2015 and I killed that by losing 215 by Christmas. im just getting back to lifting but will put new goals in place real soon! I believe in setting goals because I want to prove to myself I can accomplish them. so far so good!

Reaction score
I tried to set my goals 1-2 weeks at a time, while having a bigger goal in mind

Reaction score
As an example, let's say I can do 3x15 on bench with 165, next week I'll move up to 175 and still with that weight until I can do that 3x15 as well and then add 10lbs again and push to reach 3x15. While having a bigger Goal such as 225 X 10 reps etc...

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As an example, let's say I can do 3x15 on bench with 165, next week I'll move up to 175 and still with that weight until I can do that 3x15 as well and then add 10lbs again and push to reach 3x15. While having a bigger Goal such as 225 X 10 reps etc...

those gloves are holding you back bro

Reaction score
Overall goal- Look amazing naked!

Bench- Rep 225x25 or 30 best so far is 225x22
Bench- 405x2 then 405x3x4x5. Maybe I will be happy there.
Squat- 495x1 I'm happy here
Deadlift- 495x1 Good enough
Military Press- 225x3 I would like to get 315x1
I have a long ways till this one.

Reaction score
My current goal is to balance out my shoulders by building rear delt strength. It sucks when ya notice one should is pulled slightly forward compared to the other. And what sux even more is when you can’t remember which is which since everything in the mirror is reversed!!!!!

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My current goal is to balance out my shoulders by building rear delt strength. It sucks when ya notice one should is pulled slightly forward compared to the other. And what sux even more is when you can’t remember which is which since everything in the mirror is reversed!!!!!
Hey Tomass......it's totally ok to be doing so.......but just wanted you to know that you're bumping threads that are pretty old buddy.

Reaction score
I apologize, I just can’t seem to “Forum”! I will get better!

Reaction score
I apologize, I just can’t seem to “Forum”! I will get better!

New Threads