How much sleep do you get each night

carebear81

Lady Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to how much sleep everyone else is getting per night on average. I usually get between 4 and 6 hours (aka Not nearly enough). No matter how much I try to make sleep a priority, attempt to get on some kind of schedule (nearly impossible with my job) or make myself go to bed early, it seems like I just can not get enough sleep. I know how important it is and I am sick to death of feeling tired constantly, I just haven't happened upon what is going to work for me yet. Trial and error is not my friend at the moment! I am a night owl who has to be up at 4am most mornings to drive dump truck, so I am pretty fuked from the get go. Work usually consists of a minimum 10 hour day in the summertime (just in the truck, add in getting ready in the morning and commuting, and that's 13 or 14 hrs down the drain). Most nights I get home, walk the dog, work out, eat, shower and go to bed. I am at my wits end trying to figure something out that will work better than what I am currently doing. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I work til 130 am and get to bed at 3 am. I'm up with the kids at 7 or 8 every day. So 4 to 5 hours for me. And i sleep like shit cus i have sleep apnea. It sucks. I hate it. I love sleep. But i like being home with the kids during the day.

U gotta find something to do every night to calm yourself down and get to bed early. Read a book. Rub one out. Whatever it is but find something u will look forward to and make it a habit every night before bed.

Sometimes there's just no time for sleep.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
im fortunate enough to not work crazy hours or have any dependants to look after, so 8 hours is doable for me. but just because i had the time didnt mean i was getting to sleep or getting good quality sleep. i found that melatonin worked great for getting me calmed down and a good nights rest which improved all kinds of areas of my life. so maybe give that a try

TheLupinator

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
5 hours, but I try not to keep track. sleep is for the lazy and people with clear consciences... I get shit for sleep

curtisvill

Elite
Reaction score
I get between 4-5 hours nightly, not by choice but that is the hand I am dealt. Between my family, business, life, etc, sleep is not the priority. About once amonth my body tells me it's time and I go to bed around 8 in the evening and will sleep to 6-7 the following morning. Other than that I sleep as long and as much as my schedule allows. It doesn't help that my internal alarm clock goes off between 4:30 and 5:00 every morning no matter what time I fall asleep.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sounds like from a schedule perspective you're doing the best you can. Being sleep deprived will def take a toll on you (I ran on 3-4 hours for about 10 years and it aged me, swear to god) but like you said you play the hand you're dealt. Sleep hygiene (hitting the rack same time each night & waking-up same time each morning) helps some.

HydroEJP88

Elite
Reaction score
Last night, 3 hours.

Normally it's 4-5, i wish it were more but it never happens

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
FYI, I renamed your thread title to be more specific Carebear

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
About 5 hours or so.

The problem for me is sleep apnea. The sleep that I do get doesn't do me much good when I'm waking up gasping for air several times a night. I haven't felt "rested" in years.

carebear81

Lady Member
Reaction score
im fortunate enough to not work crazy hours or have any dependants to look after, so 8 hours is doable for me. but just because i had the time didnt mean i was getting to sleep or getting good quality sleep. i found that melatonin worked great for getting me calmed down and a good nights rest which improved all kinds of areas of my life. so maybe give that a try

I do take melatonin on the weekends sometimes if I don't have to work. Unfortunately I can't take it on work nights. It has a nasty habit of causing me to turn off my alarm clock in my sleep... Turns out that people get all little pissy when an entire paving crew is waiting for a load of asphalt for an extra 3 hours... who knew?

carebear81

Lady Member
Reaction score
Sounds like from a schedule perspective you're doing the best you can. Being sleep deprived will def take a toll on you (I ran on 3-4 hours for about 10 years and it aged me, swear to god) but like you said you play the hand you're dealt. Sleep hygiene (hitting the rack same time each night & waking-up same time each morning) helps some.

Very true, but almost impossible with my job. My only option there would be to have no social life whatsoever, go to bed around 7 or 8pm (on the days I am home that early) and get up at 2am to work out. Although it would be pretty entertaining to piss my lazy roommate off banging weights around at 2am.

carebear81

Lady Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! At the very least, it's good to know that I am not alone. Thank god for coffee and Adderall.

Redrum1327

Elite
Reaction score
About 5 hours or so.

The problem for me is sleep apnea. The sleep that I do get doesn't do me much good when I'm waking up gasping for air several times a night. I haven't felt "rested" in years.
get a hlod of Andy dude he had the same thing had an out patient surgery and now hes g2g 100 %

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
6 1/2- 7 hr. 6 is a minimum for me, less than that and I can't function. I wouldn't say the quality of sleep is there but it gets me through the day. If I have a late meeting and come home all wound up, I'll pop an Ambien and in about 30 min. I'll be asleep.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I average 6-1/2 to 7 hours sleep a night. Naps on weekends sometimes. Naps are the best!! There is the occasional night when I'm wired and will only get 3-4 hours sleep but that's very seldom.

HDH

Elite
Reaction score
I have never slept better since I started running HGH. Expensive sleep aid I know.

I just look at it as a benefit that goes along with everything else it does.

H

New Threads