Deload Advice

Reaction score
My question is mainly in regards to deloading, but any other training advice would be appreciated. My primary goal is building muscle. My training is pretty simplistic. I do a rotating push/pull/legs routine 2 days on 1 off. The routine focuses on strength for the major lifts and hypertrophy on the finishers/ isolation work. All I do is go in and try to get as many reps and if i do hit all the rep ranges on straight sets I increase the weight by 5-10 lbs.
So for my first main question: What is your opinion on how to approach a deload. How long should I wait before I do a deload? In the past if I get stuck for a week or so I chose to either decrease the weights or even take a short break all together. Also if I decrease the weights by how much?

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
50% of 1rm for a few sets of 5.

You're giving yourself a week of rest/active recovery while keeping motor patterns sharp.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Best advice I can give you is to just do it. I've done it your way for many years and just took my first deload week 3 weeks ago. Think of it as splitting the difference between pushing through and taking a week off. I'm still finding my feet with deloading but it has its merit.

Dtownry

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What DYS said. It's not an exact science. Just go in a putz around feel it out. Just don't go heavy.