bulking for first cycle

Reaction score
Okay so before i start any cycle, I have always heard people saying eat as much as you can and you can put on 20lbs of muscle your first month on gear.

I have taken some introduction classes on nutrition and basically what I have learned is that being in a caloric surplus is going to make you gain muscle (if adding resistance training) but its not all going to be muscle some fat along with it. I was taught that going over 500 calories surplus daily is not ideal because by that amount youll be adding on too much fat and the golden spot is basically 250-500 calories where most of it should be muscle.

My question is, obviously steroids effects protein synthesis. So for a first time cycle on gear for a bulk, Should i continue to eat at 250-500 calories above maintenance ? or does higher testosterone give that window of muscle gain a bump and fat gain to be minimized? so I should eat like 1000 calories surplus?

any personal experiences or peer reviewed studies showing this? I am curious because before I do my bulking cycle I want to know if I should eat more than 500 surplus calories, but I dont want to and at the end of the cycle realize i put on just 10 lbs of water weight, 10lbs of fat and only 5lbs of muscle lol.

lets say for a first time cycle of only adding in test cypionate, i know other stacks will result in different results

Dex

Elite
Reaction score
I believe that if you know your current maintenance, adding 500 extra calories daily is fine unless you change your exercise program drastically. The more you workout, the more you will need to add. And yes, in my pharmacology book there is a study about Test Enanthate.

In the study, men were given high doses of Test Enanthate, 600mg IM daily for 10 weeks. The men that didn't exercise gained 7lbs of lean muscle. The men that did exercise gained 13lbs of lean muscle. Bench presses went up 20lbs and 48lbs.

I highly doubt that you will be injecting 4200mg of Test Enanthate or Cyp on a weekly basis. Therefore, your results will not likely be as good as these. So, in my opinion, 500 calories would be fine.

Fsuphisig

Elite
Reaction score
Basically, does gear itself increase your total daily requirements ? Or if it is increased is it simply from the more intense, longer (whatever) training ?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Basically, does gear itself increase your total daily requirements ? Or if it is increased is it simply from the more intense, longer (whatever) training ?
It doesn't increase your requirements. It increases protein synthesis. Anytime you add muscle you increase your caloric requirement to maintain. So the gear itself doesn't do it, the gains you make on it do.

Cobra Strike

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Jumping in the shower for my daily clown punching but real quick....dont eat sugar and much fat while bulking and its ok to up your cals by 500 just dont do it that often

Reaction score
When I up my calories while on cycle I like to up my protein and mostly use that for the additional calories. Considering I am on cycle and my body should utilize the extra protein.

New Threads