Need big help with my squat

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Five months ago I started a program outlined by POB for bench press, squats and deadlift. I have made major improvements in bench press and deadlift, but have made ZERO improvement in squat. In fact, I have actually gone backwards by 20 lbs. About two months ago I started video taping myself during my squat and could tell my knees were too close together and I was not going down far enough. I retested my max which dropped 20 lbs to 375, and I started trying to squat with better technique, which is harder. However, after completing one full cycle (65 % 3x10; 75% 5x5; 85% 5x3; 70% 3x10; 80% 5x5; 90% 5x3; test 1RM; deload) I made no improvement in squat even though I hit all my reps during the previous weeks. Not only did I not even improve 5lbs, I wasn't even CLOSE to hitting it. I feel like I have no control over the weight when I get to the bottom. Hell, I felt like I couldn't even slow it down. I don't know if it's mental or what, but I know when I get to the bottom of the hole and just begin trying to stop and lift back up, I feel like my legs want to push but my back can't move with my legs, and my lower back can not support the weight, I feel like I am going to get hurt and I dump the bar. I need help with my technique because I am obviously WAY off. I have included two videos. The first video was my last lift of warm up (335) before attempting and failing a new 1RM @ 385. Please watch both videos. If someone could embed these for me I would really appreciate it.

BTW my 1RM's are bench press 265, dead lift 445 and squat 375.

I rep at 335

https://youtu.be/dcV0aDaAvnQ

Fail at 385

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMCEPYOtcFc

Last edited:

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that when I changed my technique to go deeper and keep my knees out I started doing hip mobility exercises before squats every week.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
If I look at this video there is alot I'm doing wrong.

Not taking a deep enough breath. Not keeping my head and eyes down. I have no bounce reflex and I'm not leading with my hips.

https://youtu.be/KhS8ocakV2Y

Last edited by a moderator:

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
U need to stay tighter. Bring your hands in closer and learn how to keep your entire body especially your upper back tight.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
You mean keep my back straighter but not necessarily more vertical?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Don't take squat advice from rippetoe the guy is a useless kunt.

Ecks is on point. You simply aren't tight anywhere in your body.

Your upper back was loose and your chest caved.

Your hips were loose and your ass wiggles around at the bottom.

2 things to do:

First, as your crawl under the bar pinch your traps together like you are trying to touch them behind your neck. Don't let that go for even a split second.

Seconds, buy a pair of squat shoes with a heel. Ok this should be first actually.

Third, squeeze your ass hard.

Fourth, push the hips back first then open the hips (knees out). Keep those knees out especially as you come up.

Fifth as you begin to come up drive the elbows forward and focus on keeping the chest up.

If your back rounds over you are toast. Suspended good mornings are your new best friend.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also make your squat days just a whole bunch of moderate sets of 3. Just keep going and going. Keep the vids coming. A side view would be good.

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Like everyone said you don't look tight. You look to relaxed.

Bringing your hands closer to your body helps tighten that back. It might hurt but you'll get used to it. I almost have my thumbs touching my shoulders on squats

Also try flexing your stomach out. Your core needs to be like a rock. Idk if this is good but I hold my breath when I lift. Deep breath in and hold it in your gut!!!! Not the lungs. Where's your belt?

Spread the floor with your feet on the way up. Push the knees apart

Recap

Back tight. Play with your hand postion on the bar.
core solid. Should be like punching a wall
knees apart. Spread the floor

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll work on it and post another vid next squat day.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Can I do the suspended good mornings right off the safety bars? And what is the rep range I should be doing? What day should I do them on, legs?

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Suspended good mornings SUCK DICK.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Can I do the suspended good mornings right off the safety bars? And what is the rep range I should be doing? What day should I do them on, legs?

Yes you can do them off of pins. Just be careful when you are going back to the pins with the weight.

You can do them on your squat or deadlift day. If you do them heavy, they are a nice conjugate for the deadlift.

wabbitt

Elite
Reaction score
How much do you weigh? That looks like a hell of a load on your frame. You must be strong as hell for your size.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
How much do you weigh? That looks like a hell of a load on your frame. You must be strong as hell for your size.

Im 195 lbs.

POB, should I do the good mornings in heavy sets in the range of 3-10 reps?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Like everyone said you don't look tight. You look to relaxed.

Bringing your hands closer to your body helps tighten that back. It might hurt but you'll get used to it. I almost have my thumbs touching my shoulders on squats

Also try flexing your stomach out. Your core needs to be like a rock. Idk if this is good but I hold my breath when I lift. Deep breath in and hold it in your gut!!!! Not the lungs. Where's your belt?

Spread the floor with your feet on the way up. Push the knees apart

Recap

Back tight. Play with your hand postion on the bar.
core solid. Should be like punching a wall
knees apart. Spread the floor
Holy shit pink. Nice ****in post bro

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Run them for 4 weeks instead of squats. Start with heavy 7's. Then heavy 5's. Then heavy triple.

After that make them a squat assistance

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I just hit 395 which is a 20 lb improvement. I did what you guys suggested and focused on staying tight. About 1/2 way back up though some air shot out of my lungs and into my head which made me feel like passing out. I'll work on that though.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Good work man. Looks alot better and more natural.

One thing.... take your breath of air before u start the decent. Don't do it while going down.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I took 10 weeks off of squats and did box squats, along with good mornings and barbell glute raises. Today was week 6 of squtting again, and this was my last set at 90% (360 lbs). I still feel a slight discomfort in my right hip when coming out of the hole but it has not hurt more than 2/10 so far. Next week will be the ultimate test when I test my 1RM.

I think I am keeping my knees a little wider but I might not be going down far enough. I think part of me is scared of getting the hip impingement again. Also, The bar is a little uneven in the vid but I think I just had it slightly uneven on my back. It felt a hair off when I unracked it. Anyway, I'd love more pointers.

Last edited:

New Threads