Need big help with my squat

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Looks much better. It just looks like your favoring one side because of the hip problem. Your knees are coming In a little but not excessively which in my opinion is fine.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Diaper quats!!! Lol. Watched again man. Looks strong. Much better than when u first posted. Breathing is on point now too.

One thing u could try is not looking up so much. Pick a target straight out in front of u about head high. See if u like that better. If not don't change it

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good progress, Nissan!

I personally take a wider grip on the bar - almost out to the sleeve. You might find it helpful in getting a bit more stability in pulling the bar across your back from this position.

Bonus points for the diaper.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Good progress, Nissan!

I personally take a wider grip on the bar - almost out to the sleeve. You might find it helpful in getting a bit more stability in pulling the bar across your back from this position.

Bonus points for the diaper.

Will that make it harder to keep my back tight?

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
I just hit a new 1RM by 10 lbs (410) on squat and didn't have any hip pain. You guys ****ing rock!

One thing that never fails to frustrate me is when attempting a new max on squat I always let air out of my lungs about 2/3 the way up. I just can't keep it in my lungs. It first rushes out of my lungs into my head and feels like my head is going to explode, before I open my mouth and let it out.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Today I hit 420. I still have trouble keeping the air in my lungs. I just cant keep my self from letting air out on the way up and it makes me feel like my head is going to explode after I rack the weight. Any advice for that?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Today I hit 420. I still have trouble keeping the air in my lungs. I just cant keep my self from letting air out on the way up and it makes me feel like my head is going to explode after I rack the weight. Any advice for that?

Holding your air is unnatural. Tuff. Do it anyway.

Thing is you are taking your breath into your chest. That's bad. Sit in a chair and put one hand on your belly and the other on your chest. Breathe in so that only the hand on your belly rises. It helps at first to do this by breathing in thru the nose. Fill your belly as much as possible.

That's step 1.

Step 2 and I will give you the easy way out here is to put the belt on. Stick your thumb between the belt and your stomach. Take your air into the belly then push out against the belt hard. Try and crush your thumb.

When you do this and squat you will feel like your head is gonna pop off. It wont. Suck it up.

2 other things.

Depth is shit. Fix that. No excuses here. Part of why you are cutting short is your psoas or abdominals are tight and you aren't taking air in properly. Possibly other causes but those seem most likely.

Second stop maxing out with singles. Just my personal philosophy so others will certainly disagree. But I think a max effort triple means much more than a single and is less taxing overall

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
To touch on what POB said about the triples. Since I've been hitting heavy triples my strength has skyrocketed. I'm still hitting PRs but its with triples not singles. The extra reps help with strength too obviously

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
10-4.

I'll switch to triples and work on my breathing/depth.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Nissan walk the weight out. Let the bar settle. Take a few breaths of air then take one big breath into your stomach and hit that rep. No need to rush it. Take your time

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Kinda looks like the bar is handling you. I know the feels all too well. Pull that ****er down into your traps like it's your bitch and stay tight as ****. I have the same problems as you, I let air out on the way up and I can tell you it is hurting you just like it does me. I'll also triple tap the point of heavy triples. I did 1 rep maxes for months and made zero progress. Even went backward and the warm ups felt like 1000 pounds. Triples are where it's at.

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
The one rep max was only every 7 weeks to test progress.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The one rep max was only every 7 weeks to test progress.[/QUOTE
Ah ok. You're definitely making solid progress man. That's a lot of weight.

New Threads