Arms wobble during bench. Need tips

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
On my ME days my form is usually pretty solid on anything under 85% of 1RM. However once I go past that my arms wobble uncontrollably on the pressing movement. I'm new to lifting heavy as I used to do everything in a BB form and 16-20 reps. So I'm still getting used to handling heavy weight. But is this a form issue or do I need to target a specific exercise to get rid of this arm wobble?

Reaction score
On my ME days my form is usually pretty solid on anything under 85% of 1RM. However once I go past that my arms wobble uncontrollably on the pressing movement. I'm new to lifting heavy as I used to do everything in a BB form and 16-20 reps. So I'm still getting used to handling heavy weight. But is this a form issue or do I need to target a specific exercise to get rid of this arm wobble?

To strengthen the press do bent over rows. To stabilize do pin presses and band or chain benchpresses. I think at this point your still be building your sea legs for heavy bench.

Last edited:

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
triceps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Squeeze the bar as hard as you can. This will engage your for arms
Pull the bar apart
Try to bend the bar. These 2 will engage your lats

Elbows in on the way down keeping your late tight

Flare elbows on the way up, again engaging your lats.

Find some excercise that will help strengthen your rotators. That should help the shakey arms.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Always felt my triceps were strong but apparently not! Will start hitting them hard. Just started putting close grip bench into routine so hopefully that helps.

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Squeeze the bar as hard as you can. This will engage your for arms
Pull the bar apart
Try to bend the bar. These 2 will engage your lats

Elbows in on the way down keeping your late tight

Flare elbows on the way up, again engaging your lats.

Find some excercise that will help strengthen your rotators. That should help the shakey arms.

Thanks. Yeah still working on the form. Never realized how in depth a bench rep was until recently.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah still working on the form. Never realized how in depth a bench rep was until recently.

Crazy thing about the bench, probably hands down the best chest movement IMO, but also the one that will fubar your ass in a hurry because of issues with form, or lack of.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's your stabilizers. Take your barbell and hang double red or orange bands on the end and hang 25lb plates off that. Bench it. Slowly. And have a spot.

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do more push ups... problem solved

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do more push ups... problem solved
6 years in the military has given me more push up time than I'd like. But on a positive side I can rep them out all day and would also do them weighted so unfortunately I don't think push ups are the problem for me.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's your stabilizers. Take your barbell and hang double red or orange bands on the end and hang 25lb plates off that. Bench it. Slowly. And have a spot.

Having a hard time picturing this. So one band per side, run the band through the plate then loop both ends over the bar?

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
6 years in the military has given me more push up time than I'd like. But on a positive side I can rep them out all day and would also do them weighted so unfortunately I don't think push ups are the problem for me.

Pray to saint Mitchell

Patron saint of wobbly arms during bench press

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pray to saint Mitchell

Patron saint of wobbly arms during bench press

He blocked me on FB so I'm clawing for something here.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time picturing this. So one band per side, run the band through the plate then loop both ends over the bar?
Yes. Look up bamboo bar bench on youtube. You will see the set up. If you don't follow steelers instructions above when you do this you will dump the bar in your lap or eat it. Stay tight.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Will definitely try this.
Thanks.

bsw5

Elite
Reaction score
Some excellent information here

New Threads