Zeigler for Moderator Thumbs up or Thumbs down

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Was going to make a dorky physics joke about Pillar aging really slowly due to being further away from the gravitaional pull of the Earth's core for so long, but this thread is really old....

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Was going to make a dorky physics joke about Pillar aging really slowly due to being further away from the gravitaional pull of the Earth's core for so long, but this thread is really old....
Old is irrelevant when it comes to joking about POB...lol

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score

Other way around. Closer to gravity = time moving more slowly.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Other way around. Closer to gravity = time moving more slowly.

Correct Sir. The further the distance away from the gravitational pull, the faster time moves (as well as Pillar). But Pillar would infact age slower due to moving faster. This of course is relative to the speed at which Pillar is moving. The closer to the speed of light, the quicker (measurable) time moves....

Say Pillar had a twin. We'll call him Column. Both are invited to a party 10 years from now. Column stays on Earth, but Pillar decides to travel to Alpha Centuri and back (which is 4 light years away from Earth). Pillar in his magic airplane moves at 80% of the speed of light, thus taking him 5 years to make the journey there and 5 years back to Earth. While on Earth, Column would observe Pillar's time in space at 60% of the rate of Earth time. When Pillar returns, Earth and Column would have aged 10 years, but Pillar would have only aged 6 years. He would have essentially time travelled to the future.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Correct Sir. The further the distance away from the gravitational pull, the faster time moves (as well as Pillar). But Pillar would infact age slower due to moving faster. This of course is relative to the speed at which Pillar is moving. The closer to the speed of light, the quicker (measurable) time moves....

Say Pillar had a twin. We'll call him Column. Both are invited to a party 10 years from now. Column stays on Earth, but Pillar decides to travel to Alpha Centuri and back (which is 4 light years away from Earth). Pillar in his magic airplane moves at 80% of the speed of light, thus taking him 5 years to make the journey there and 5 years back to Earth. While on Earth, Column would observe Pillar's time in space at 60% of the rate of Earth time. When Pillar returns, Earth and Column would have aged 10 years, but Pillar would have only aged 6 years. He would have essentially time travelled to the future.

I'll give you $8 if you go edit that twin paradox Wikipedia page with the pillar and column party analogy.

Your wording was exactly opposite of the theory of relativity and, unfortunately, it's still wrong. 500mph vs 6 miles above the surface of the earth still ages fliers more rapidly.

But you like physics--so all is not lost.

Edit: here is a nifty relativistic calculator. It's pretty damn accurate.
http://www.1728.org/reltivty.htm

Last edited:

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I'll give you $8 if you go edit that twin paradox Wikipedia page with the pillar and column party analogy.

Your wording was exactly opposite of the theory of relativity and, unfortunately, it's still wrong. 500mph vs 6 miles above the surface of the earth still ages fliers more rapidly.

But you like physics--so all is not lost.

Edit: here is a nifty relativistic calculator. It's pretty damn accurate.
http://www.1728.org/reltivty.htm

Ah, ya I see now how my wording was weird (and wrong)... Sorry bout that. And I may take you up that bet haha I actually got my info from an interesting book I have called "Time Travel In Einstein's Universe" its a fun read.

Reaction score
I love the theory of relativity. Fascinating stuff mathematically. I was a crim major but took calc 3&4, calc based physics 1 &2. I'm a nerd for math.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I love the theory of relativity. Fascinating stuff mathematically. I was a crim major but took calc 3&4, calc based physics 1 &2. I'm a nerd for math.

I really enjoyed physics in school, very cool to see how everything comes together, and makes more sense mathematically. Crazy how E=mc squared can take up 10 or more chalk boards when values are applied to it..lol

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ratings here have been horrendous.

This forum needs to make this a reality asap. The current staff isn't producing

Zeigler keep up the good fight

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I mean really.