Cube Method Week 4

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started The Cube again after my hip healed up and I'm feeling great. No hip pain, no bad back pain, just lots of old man pain. My maxs are set at the following: Bench - 415 Deadlift - 590 Squat - 405. This is the 1st time in years I'm squatting heavy again(well, heavy for me, that is) with the heavy duty knee sleeves from EliteFTS. So far so good. No knee pain. It was week 4 this past week.

Heavy deadlift was yesterday and it was set for 3 sets of 2 with 485. I felt great and did 6 sets of 2 with 485 and was so fired up I did 5 reps instead of 2 on my last set. It was probably because Jungle Rot "Paralyzed Prey" came on my headphones right before I pulled.

Plus, my fat ass is down 6 pounds from 257 to 251. I love The Cube and highly recommend it. Very simple program to follow.

Hoping to break some PR's in 6 weeks, but really just hoping I can stay injury free for a while.

That is all mother ****ers! Get in where you fit in...

Regards,

Assassin32

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice lifts, Mate!! Cube is a great program. I'm working in a bit of 5-3-1 (less the OHP) into my programming for my winter bulk. Training heavy feels good...

x2 for Jungle Rot induced PRs!

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Congrats on feint better Assassin. I'm waiting to hear about your upcoming PRs.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I love The Cube and highly recommend it. Very simple program to follow.

That got my attention, especially the part about simple program to follow so I googled it up. I like to stay focused on the lifting not some long drawn out thesis that's harder to solve than a rubiks cube. Looks like it would be worth a shot, thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A 1400 total!!!

When is your first meet?

Nice lifting man.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
A 1400 total!!!

When is your first meet?

Nice lifting man.

Thanks Boss. You know, I just heard our gym is having a powerlifting meet to raise money for a member that was diagnosed with colon cancer. The entry fee is anything you're willing to donate towards his medical bills. It's obviously not through any Fed. but I figure it could be a good way to get my feet wet and it's at the gym I workout at, so what the hell. I don't know the dude, but colon cancer sucks so I'm gonna do it. Don't know the date or rules yet.

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Nice lifts, Mate!! Cube is a great program. I'm working in a bit of 5-3-1 (less the OHP) into my programming for my winter bulk. Training heavy feels good...

x2 for Jungle Rot induced PRs!

Thanks Savage. Didn't you know that Jungle Rot played at max volume adds 10 pounds to any lift.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Thanks Boss. You know, I just heard our gym is having a powerlifting meet to raise money for a member that was diagnosed with colon cancer. The entry fee is anything you're willing to donate towards his medical bills. It's obviously not through any Fed. but I figure it could be a good way to get my feet wet and it's at the gym I workout at, so what the hell. I don't know the dude, but colon cancer sucks so I'm gonna do it. Don't know the date or rules yet.

First Milo now you lol. 2 good guys doing some good work for others and hopefully hitting PRs in the process. Hats off to both of you, you guys are really what this sport is about.

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You dodged a bullet with that hip injury, Im glad to hear you doing better and back at it.

Werent you like 285 a couple years ago?

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You dodged a bullet with that hip injury, Im glad to hear you doing better and back at it.

Werent you like 285 a couple years ago?

I did dodge a bullet, BGH. The initial diagnosis was a fully torn IT band. Surgery, long recovery, the whole 9. Turned out to be a bunch of torn fiberous and scar tissue. Healed almost fully in 4 weeks. Still feel a little twinge from time to time.

Never 285 bud, bit I was 265 two years ago. Down 14 total, and my knees are thanking me.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
That's good to hear assassin.

I ran the cube a few times. I liked it but I think the heavy days could be a little heavier especially the rack pulls. But it did work very well for my squat.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I would love to challenge myself with something like the cube, and would really love to break some PR's, but can you set some pr's that are practical for a guys age when using the program? Can you tailor the program for poundage's that are less than what a guy has lifted in the not so distant past? Are these questions making any sense? I guess what am I'm asking is this program worth jumping into at an older age when injury always lurks? The lifts you're making are beastly my friend! Keep getting after it while the getting after is there.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would love to challenge myself with something like the cube, and would really love to break some PR's, but can you set some pr's that are practical for a guys age when using the program? Can you tailor the program for poundage's that are less than what a guy has lifted in the not so distant past? Are these questions making any sense? I guess what am I'm asking is this program worth jumping into at an older age when injury always lurks? The lifts you're making are beastly my friend! Keep getting after it while the getting after is there.
I understand what you are asking. But you are confused.

The pr you set is what you can set. The training days are based on sub maximal percentages. Age has nothing to do with this. If you can squat 300 for 1 you can squat 80% of that for triples. Get what I am saying? It is scaled to each individual. It's not like you have to bench 500 pounds.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
that is a good 1st meet (imo)

Assassin32

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear assassin.

I ran the cube a few times. I liked it but I think the heavy days could be a little heavier especially the rack pulls. But it did work very well for my squat.

I totally agree with you on that Ecks. Some days when I'm supposed to be done with heavy benching or deadlifting I feel like I have so much strength left I add a few more sets or reps. Shit sometimes I have to go back and double check to make sure I entered the right numbers because the heavy days seem lower than I was expecting when I look at what's on tap for that day.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Well it is a peaking type program so the heavy days do eventually get heavy.

I used to work up to a heavy single or double on floor press or incline pin presses after the heavy comp bench. I also did close grip on my accessory day. I switched the close grip out for one of those two every week.

New Threads