Opinions on Kai Greene not competing in 2015 Mr. O?

Reaction score
Not sure if there's already a thread on this...What do u think? There's obviously something going on behind the scenes. I think they sat Kai down and basically told him he isn't allowed to compete because his lack of professionalism and the image he gives the sport...He's an odd dude, he goes out on stage and acts like he's competing for the best male stripper contest in his weird outfits..then his odd drawn out speeches that don't make much sense. I personally think he could be gay..But IDK. All the judges and competitors know he can't be the face of IFBB with the way he portrays himself. They need professionalism like phil heath and jay cutler etc..or ANY of the other dudes competing on stage who act normal..They prob paid kai some $$ to sit it out and stfu.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Phil has a mouth like no other. Look at how he trash talked Arnold. No class.
Kai is weird but it's a sport of physique. Character should have nothing to do with it. It is understandable that they want an ambassador as well as a champion, but the lengths they go to in blatantly throwing contests has led me to wash my hands of anything IFBB related. But I will say this- to beat Phil, Kai would had to have been not just better but would have had to destroy Phil so there would be no justification by the judges as to why Phil won. This year Kai looked the best he ever has, Phil not so much. I'd go so far to say that they kept him out because they knew Phil was about to get shit on and they'd have no choice but to award Kai a Sandow.

Reaction score
Phil has a mouth like no other. Look at how he trash talked Arnold. No class.
Kai is weird but it's a sport of physique. Character should have nothing to do with it. It is understandable that they want an ambassador as well as a champion, but the lengths they go to in blatantly throwing contests has led me to wash my hands of anything IFBB related. But I will say this- to beat Phil, Kai would had to have been not just better but would have had to destroy Phil so there would be no justification by the judges as to why Phil won. This year Kai looked the best he ever has, Phil not so much. I'd go so far to say that they kept him out because they knew Phil was about to get shit on and they'd have no choice but to award Kai a Sandow.

I agree with you Milo...I saw some pics of kai and he looked pretty insane. I haven't seen much of phil except a youtube of phil when he was still bulking and who also looked ginormous but no where near the shreddedness of kai. This definitely had something to do with it, which is ****ed up by the IFBB...poor guy worked his ****ing ass off for this. And ya phil has gotten very arrogant and trash talks..I think because he's getting paranoid, and defensive trying to hold his spot on the top. He knows everyones coming for his ass and many of them are looking incredible...it is a BB contest not character but it's also a huge money business and character sells money. Unfortunately the one they're looking for is a well rounded professional "athlete" that people can relate to and feel comfortable looking up to...Kai ruined his chance with his male stripper cross dressing routines and his other promiscuous side jobs

Last edited:

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
There is a similar thread about this already. It was all a big standoff between kais manager and the ifbb regarding money amd advertising space. Sadly it shows the sport for what it is, a corrupt, money hungry beast

thqmas

Elite
Reaction score
A little story:

My wife is a boxer (no, i'm not married to a dog - she's boxing).

She took the Israeli championship 7 times, and took 2nd place in Europe.

After her last win, she wasn't happy. When we got back home I (obviously) asked her why the long face?
She answered that another female boxer (a training partner) could not compete for personal reasons, and that if this girl would of come to the championship, my wife would of won 2nd place.
She really felt that she didn't deserve 1st place, because somewhere out there, was a girl that deserved it (and can beat the crap out of her).

What I mean is that sometimes you get 1st place just because the real heavy players didn't come to compete. Without Kai, 1st place is just 2nd place IMHO.

grind4it

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't think any of us will know what happened. IMO the IFBB has been corrupt for a very long time. I base this statement on my personal beliefs of how that type of orginization should be run and the calls I've seen the judges make over the years. Truth is; the IFBB is not a nonprofit and when you boil all of this down, this sport (which I deeply love) is nothing more than a glorified beauty contest. The judges make decisions based on what appeals to them. There is no mathematic formula they use, no transparent standard.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
You can't be serious.

Of the greatest showdowns in bodybuilding history arguably came down to a decision of character at the 1970 Mr. O between Sergio Olivia and Arnold.

M&D said:
“The judges called Sergio Oliva and me together at the end of the evening for the last time. It was clear the scores were close, and I was wondering: ‘What can I do to convince the judges that it's not close, and that I'm ahead of him?’ I was not that convinced myself, but I had to psych myself up because he looked awesome.

“They called for us to free pose [posedown] together. This was my last chance: It was now or never. We posed and posed. He'd hit a back shot; I'd hit a front lat spread. He'd come back with a thigh shot; I'd hit an arm shot. He'd throw in a side chest— all this stuff was flying around like crazy. Finally, Sergio leans over to me and says, 'I'm wiped out. Let's walk off.'

“I said, 'You're right, this is too much.'

“He waved goodbye to the crowd. I made one step to the right [as if to leave the stage] and Sergio walked offstage to the left. I stayed onstage and gestured in his direction [in the manner of asking], 'Why is he leaving? Why is he surrendering? Is he maybe too old? Is he burned out?' I hit some more shots, and the crowd was chanting, 'Arnold! Arnold! Arnold!' Then I bowed and walked off."

"If that got me the win, I never knew because the judges never commented on it. But I think that, besides being in great shape, that was the additional thing that swayed them.

Sawks..........

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
from what i read on TID, lobiner (spelling) has a a video or something out saying all kai had to do was sign the contract and it was a pissing match between 2 companies or something to that effect, i think kai could have competed but his management was in a fight with someone else...

AND NO this happening to kai had NOTHING TODO with the judge starting up his own championship, i was told on the judges website he had said he is starting his new venture quicker than he thought... he is using the kai thing as a catapult to start his own bodybuilding show...and it had been in the works for a very long time...

i hope the new one allows guys to be judged better, without the gh pregnant gut and actually allows them to make a bit more cash, these guys, yes some live very well, while others still live like crap...the IFBB needs to be dissolved

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am totally serious. There are a lot of bodybuilders that are total douche bags. Why would I want to see them win
Who the **** cares? What does being a douche bag have to do with having the best physique? This isn't Ms. America. It's BODYbuilding. And how can you even judge a character on a scale? How nice is he from 1-10? Let's take character into considering Superbowl championships too.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Who the **** cares? What does being a douche bag have to do with having the best physique? This isn't Ms. America. It's BODYbuilding. And how can you even judge a character on a scale? How nice is he from 1-10? Let's take character into considering Superbowl championships too.

The Superbowl is an apples to oranges comparison and it comes down to one thing; transparency in judging. Sports scores are objective while bodybuilding scores are subjective to the person doing the judging. FWIW, MVP awards have character as a criteria for judging so they do award good character in a way.

The biggest reason why character comes into play on the Olympia stage is because the Olympia honors one man as Mr. O. This man is then the poster child for the Olympia until he's dethroned. When it comes to the O, that poster child is the only thing worth advertising, they're what draws the crowd.

It's a marketing move. You don't want your poster child to be unpopular even if his physique is on point.

I don't agree with it, politics and the lack of transparency in judging has been a big problem with the O for many years but it is present.

Last edited:

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Powerlifting then? No lift because I don't like his haircut.
I understand why they are doing it. But whoever agrees with it is a full on retard.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I understand why they are doing it. But whoever agrees with it is a full on retard.

The only thing they're agreeing to is making more money.
What business owner would choose less money over more money?

Powerlifting suffers the same plight despite having a more objective judging style than bodybuilding. You either pass the lift or you don't, right? Some of the worlds best lifters have had lifts that should not have passed but because they were record attempts they passed.

For example: George Leeman's record deadlift passed when it shouldn't have. He never locked out his right knee yet the record is still his. Average Joe's like you or I would have gotten a no-lift but because George is George, he got a pass.

Again, I'm not saying it's right but these decisions are made with purpose.

Last edited:

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time accepting that it's simply a matter of Kai wanting a free pass for his supplement booth at the Olympia and the Olympia saying "no". $15K for a booth is couch cushions for a guy like Kai, plus theres the whole "throw away 10 months of your life spent training" thing.

More likely it has to do with Kai's departure from the major Olympia sponsors and establishing his own product line (sounds a bit like what DLB did, no? wonder what she's up to this year...)

And no, subjective assessments of character & alignment with IFBB sponsors should have no place in bodybuilding however we all understand that in actuality they do & always will. Its an imperfect sport, no different than any other sport without objective scoring measures (see Boxing, MMA). Judges can and will have their own political agendas as dictated by those controlling the events with the deepest pockets.

Reaction score
I think we can all agree the IFBB and the political system is bs. At that level all those guys look equally as incredible, especially the top 5.. judging will always be very controversial i think thats another reason why character comes into play a lot more in this sport at this level and which athlete can promote the most business/profit..

What are your opinions on Kai greenes posing routines though? mainly his outfits...?

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I think we can all agree the IFBB and the political system is bs. At that level all those guys look equally as incredible, especially the top 5.. judging will always be very controversial i think thats another reason why character comes into play a lot more in this sport at this level and which athlete can promote the most business/profit..

What are your opinions on Kai greenes posing routines though? mainly his outfits...?

I think he's good for the sport. He's creative as hell and people seem drawn to him.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score

Powerlifting is cut and dry whoever lifts the most wins. In bodybuilding a decision on the win is harder to make. So when you have two guys left that are neck and neck without even a cun t hair difference. Pull the character card give the he audience what they want.

SuperBane

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
To me the IFBB is a joke it is ran organized and promoted by guys who own and run magazines ...
These same magazines used to promote and pimp worthless unregulated supplements to kids for dollars.

The whole judging system is a joke.
And some idiot mentioned character?

Kai may be weird but he isn't a pompous snobby bitch like Phil.
Food for thought when you're talking about character. Mr.meformod.

You really think Phil is the face of Mr.O?
There are still kids at the gym talking about Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler.
Nobody has ever referenced Phil Heath to me when they talk about anything to do with bodybuilding.
His name only comes up on forums or magazine covers in the real world.

New Threads