Incorporating dynamic into 531

Sledge

Reaction score
Is there any way to add dynamic/speed work into the 531? Has anyone ever tried this? Or would that just be making it into something it is not.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Think it depends on your objectives in doing so. I'm not competing soon but I still use the 5-3-1 progression for squats and bench & mix in DE days for volume / hypertrophy.

Or you could just do Westside.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I always called my deload week Speed week or DE week.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
DE work and deloaded need to be separated IMO.

Deloading is for just keeping from de-training while giving your body a break.

DE work is all about lifting a non-maximal weight with as much speed as possible. The point of DE work is to teach your CNS to fire quickly. If you're a 600lb squatter and you are doing speed work with 300, you are moving that 300 like it is 600. The point is to increase your force output with submax weight. If you then squat 600, you are using the same force and speed, but the bar is moving slower because of the extra 300lbs on the bar.

I'm generally more sore after a DE day then an ME day. DE work can be hellish on the joints. It is def not a deload IMO.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Speed work especially with bands if done right is no deload.

The plyometric effects of bands and speed work is worse on the joints than a gram of winstrol.

I think speed work for the raw lifter is pretty much a waste of time anyway though.

Has the OP actually ran 531 or just thinking about it. If not run it and don't change it.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
DE work and deloaded need to be separated IMO.

Deloading is for just keeping from de-training while giving your body a break.

DE work is all about lifting a non-maximal weight with as much speed as possible. The point of DE work is to teach your CNS to fire quickly. If you're a 600lb squatter and you are doing speed work with 300, you are moving that 300 like it is 600. The point is to increase your force output with submax weight. If you then squat 600, you are using the same force and speed, but the bar is moving slower because of the extra 300lbs on the bar.

I'm generally more sore after a DE day then an ME day. DE work can be hellish on the joints. It is def not a deload IMO.

I don't agree.

If your a 600 pound squatter running 5/3/1 then your training Max is 540 and your deload would be 270 for like 5 sets of 5. Moving it as fast as possible isn't going to cause you pain.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't agree.

If your a 600 pound squatter running 5/3/1 then your training Max is 540 and your deload would be 270 for like 5 sets of 5. Moving it as fast as possible isn't going to cause you pain.

Yes it will read my post. How are your hips btw?

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Also that's a deload day that occurs how frequently versus say weekly or greater speed work

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I did read your post.

Nice shot at me personally.

That's cool

That ain't a shot at you personally but it made the point that speed work is not a deload and can **** you up like heavy weight can.

Tendon and ligament damage doesn't just occur during maximal or near max weights. It can happen with very sub max weight moving at velocity.

Say we are benching and I need to add 2.5 lb plates and they are both on my side on a tree. I gently toss you the 2.5. No biggie. But if I throw it at you it feels like much more than 2.5 right? Because of its velocity.

I don't take cheap personal shots when talking about lifting and you know it bro.

Last edited:

Sledge

Reaction score
I'm just starting 531. I've been doing Westside for years, but have a new job and have less available time. Switching to morning workouts and wanted to give 531 a try. Heard good things, and I've been wanting to switch it up. I like using bands and was just curious if i C still use them with 531. I plan on doing 531 as it is written though, and didn't want to mangle it too much

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting 531. I've been doing Westside for years, but have a new job and have less available time. Switching to morning workouts and wanted to give 531 a try. Heard good things, and I've been wanting to switch it up. I like using bands and was just curious if i C still use them with 531. I plan on doing 531 as it is written though, and didn't want to mangle it too much

That's the best way to run it. I ran boring but big for 2 years and made constant progress

Sledge

Reaction score
I'm doing boring but big too. Just finishing up my first week. So far I'm liking it. I'm starting low and looking forward to the steady progress.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm doing boring but big too. Just finishing up my first week. So far I'm liking it. I'm starting low and looking forward to the steady progress.

I made the best progress when my AMAP sets were a n the 8/5/3 range. When I got up to 10, I would do a double month 10 upper 20 lower.

Reaction score
I don't know if its quite the same but I always try to move the big but boring sets with some zip on em. Helps me be a little quicker on the work sets.

New Threads