Ab training in flexion

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
You have an ez-curl bar? Throw a couple 10's on with good clamps. Done.

Reaction score
Was thinking even easier to make (old wheel from toddler's "bike", then a pole shoved through) That way I can keep doing curls while my wife is doing her abs. haha

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I normally call these reverse planks for lack of a better way of describing them but here is a core stabilization move that the Chinese OLers like to do:

330008350_999ae045e4.jpg

Basic planks are great but at some point your going to have to become creative in order to keep progressing, those as well as RKC planks are easy ways of increasing the difficulty move.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I normally call these reverse planks for lack of a better way of describing them but here is a core stabilization move that the Chinese OLers like to do:

View attachment 2146

Basic planks are great but at some point your going to have to become creative in order to keep progressing, those as well as RKC planks are easy ways of increasing the difficulty move.

That looks ****ing awesome

Anyone ever try excessive drinking for core? Last time I abused a bottle of whiskey I barfed so hard Mt abs were sore for almost a week.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score

Anyone ever try excessive drinking for core? Last time I abused a bottle of whiskey I barfed so hard Mt abs were sore for almost a week.

Not from drinking but from recs yes. Fukking barfed so hard one time my abs popped the fukk out.

Reaction score

IDK, I drank so much I should have the most ripped 8 pack around.... such is not the case... haha. I do, however, like the fact I can use the past tense... drank.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I do abs on the cables. Grab the ropes and then while holding the ropes I put my hands against my forehead and do it like that. I keep my back perfectly straight and pretty much do a reverse good morning if that makes sense. Crushes your core. Give them a shot and let me know how you guys like em

Reaction score
Grab a fence plank at one end and lift the others end off the ground then turn slow and smooth from side back to center and then the other side don't swing just turn slow and pause. You will feel it

regular

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
So like most things, my thoughts opinions and methods change over time. If I shot steel my base program today he would quickly see its a far cry from what he trained on almost 2 years ago.

Having said that let's talk about training abs for weightlifters and powerlifters.

Initially I subscribed to Louis Simmons' thoughts on ab training. Do them standing because in powerlifting if you are on your back then you are probably going to the hospital.

Ok so let's take that a bit further.

If your spine is in flexion you are missing your lift.

Why are we doing things like crunches? Or any ab exercise where our spine curves? We need to flex our abs and push out against them to create rigidity in the trunk and to maintain the kinetic chain from head to toe.

I am starting to think that a simple plank is adequate. And don't scoff at planks. If you are that guy that stacks plates on your back when you do them I guarantee you aren't doing it correctly. Holding a 10 second plank is extremely difficult.

There are other things you can do like goblet squats if you want to add weight but all we are looking for is a static contraction.

Any thoughts on this?

The only ab/core exercise I do is flutter kicks, which meets your criteria of keeping your back straight and is much more intense than doing planks.

I do 120lb dumbbell pullovers on a decline bench, which really engages my core also because it's more or less like a flutter kick but with my arms. I use to lift at a gym that had a pullover machine, it squeezed my core so hard I felt like I was going to throw up every time I used it. Probably one the most intense machine I've ever used.

Last edited: