RPE System of Training

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think I can push myself to stay true, always easier said than done right.
I can't squander the opportunity, and now owe a commitment to not only myself but Mick and PoB.
Just wish I had better starting number so my possible log would be more enjoyable for the people who might be interested in it.

Nobody cares what your numbers are Deezy. Any powerlifter on this board will respect that when I ask for @9 you give it a true 9. A proper triple at 9 will make you want to die but not actually kill you. It's like unicorn dust for your total.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd like to think I can push myself to stay true, always easier said than done right.
I can't squander the opportunity, and now owe a commitment to not only myself but Mick and PoB.
Just wish I had better starting number so my possible log would be more enjoyable for the people who might be interested in it.

You sound like a pussy.

Nobody gives a fuk what you lift. Go bust ass and train hard. People like to see progress. I promise that Dan Green doesn't frequent SI to laugh at your numbers. Anyone who would give you shit over your numbers, probably can't lift their spirits.

Beedeezy

Elite
Reaction score
LOL I do, don't I!
I'm really amped to get started!

mickems

Elite
Reaction score

I started with lower numbers just so I could adjust properly to the rpe. I then started making big jumps. it was new to me and I didn't want to screw it up. numbers are nothing. remember, whatever you or I lift, I know that someone out there is lifting a lot less. especially at my gym . lol.

ken Sass

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
math makes my head hurt

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks PoB

Once you start actually incorporating it, this stuff is much easier to understand. Pm me anytime with questions about this or that layout for bench. Happy to review videos to help with your technique so long as the video isn't 5 minutes of you putting on wrist wraps and then 1 second of lift.

Beezy

Elite
Reaction score
Once you start actually incorporating it, this stuff is much easier to understand. Pm me anytime with questions about this or that layout for bench. Happy to review videos to help with your technique so long as the video isn't 5 minutes of you putting on wrist wraps and then 1 second of lift.

10-4
Thank you

Reaction score
is the main benefit of RPE/autoregulating to be able to do more volume when you're capable?

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
is the main benefit of RPE/autoregulating to be able to do more volume when you're capable?

The main benefit of RPE is the auto regulation of volume. Basically it means there’s no set volume for the day. You do what your fitness levels that day allow you to. If you slept like shit, worked a double, having an off day, etc you’ll tire out quicker and volume will be adjusted down. If you’re having a great day then volume will adjust up.

Reaction score
The main benefit of RPE is the auto regulation of volume. Basically it means there’s no set volume for the day. You do what your fitness levels that day allow you to. If you slept like shit, worked a double, having an off day, etc you’ll tire out quicker and volume will be adjusted down. If you’re having a great day then volume will adjust up.

Thanks. I'm wondering though if you're able to set a minimum volume--basically the only downside i can see it allowing yourself to skirt reps because you may feel more tired one day if that makes sense

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm wondering though if you're able to set a minimum volume--basically the only downside i can see it allowing yourself to skirt reps because you may feel more tired one day if that makes sense

The two types of people who will not do well, unless maybe they’re also being coached by a trained eye, on the RPE system are those who don’t push themselves hard enough and overestimate RPE and those who push too hard and underestimate RPE. It’s like a higher skill, the more you practice the better you get. Some ppl just will not adapt to it though. Mike T suggests you track RPE in your current program for a few months before attempting to use it to familiarize oneself with his/her perception of difficulty

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Am i reading into this too much and making it more complicated that it actually is? Parts of it i get and parts of it sound like Greek

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
I don’t know, let me read through it a couple more times lol

It's pretty straight forward actually. Once you start to apply it to your training, it becomes quite easy from that point on. Just get through the trial and errors of actually finding your weight to rpe numbers

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward actually. Once you start to apply it to your training, it becomes quite easy from that point on. Just get through the trial and errors of actually finding your weight to rpe numbers

finding your weight to your RPE numbers can change on a day to day basis. That's one of the factors of using and applying RPE.

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
finding your weight to your RPE numbers can change on a day to day basis. That's one of the factors of using and applying RPE.

Agreed. I was just talking about applying it initially, and getting an idea of how it works

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
I’m going to read over this a few times and I’m sure I’ll have questions

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Ok i read through this a few more times, i think im starting to understand how RPE works.
So a few questions. Is this something you incorporate into all of your workouts for each day you lift. Example right now im doing 5 days a week on a push, pull, legs, upper ,lower style.
A push day for chest consists of flat bench, incline db bench and cable fly. would you use RPE for all of these or just say the flat bench. Also since on a push day shoulders and triceps are hit as well, do you use RPE for all of those exercises as well?

Another question, since the last two days of my workout week will hit all the muscles from the first 3 days again, do you use RPE for that and go heavy for all 5 days? Like today i did upper, for chest i did flat and incline db presses superset and cable fly drop sets. No third chest movement was done today.

Or do you need to go with a 3 or 4 day lifting schedule in order to use RPE.

Sorry if the questions seem on the dumb ass side, this is a newer concept to me. Although i think im already kind of doing something like this with my compound lifts already.
Like yesterday when i did squats, i worked up to 315 for 5 reps. a 6th rep was probably doable but would have been shit form. So i stayed at 315 rested a few and did 4 more reps at that weight. Then i dropped the weight down a good bit to i think 225 and hammered out 10 more. That last part doesnt sound like it fits into the RPE thing but i think i get what you were talking about with the fatigue, weight drop. Just not dropping as much weight as i did.

Also as far as my goal of losing body fat, i know building muscle will help get that done, but on top of the body fat loss im also looking to add size as well, will probably have to take care of the first one before working on the second one but you get what i mean.
Will going with an RPE approach to working out be a good way of achieving all of this. I mean i know getting stronger in turn can mean bigger as well, and i know that as you build more muscle it helps with burning off body fat. But im looking to decrease body fat by a fairly large degree, just thoughts on that as well.

Last edited:

New Threads