Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,294 Times in 2,878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead1 View Post
    It's pretty straight forward actually. Once you start to apply it to your training, it becomes quite easy from that point on. Just get through the trial and errors of actually finding your weight to rpe numbers
    finding your weight to your RPE numbers can change on a day to day basis. That's one of the factors of using and applying RPE.
    I'm alot of shit but fake ain't it...

THERE IS NO PAIN
    that I cannot and will not fight through.

Strength First.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Seeker For This Useful Post:

Elivo (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    finding your weight to your RPE numbers can change on a day to day basis. That's one of the factors of using and applying RPE.
    Agreed. I was just talking about applying it initially, and getting an idea of how it works

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 688 Posts
    I’m going to read over this a few times and I’m sure I’ll have questions
    Installing upgraded body, PLEASE WAIT....................................

Thanks
    Ok i read through this a few more times, i think im starting to understand how RPE works.
    So a few questions. Is this something you incorporate into all of your workouts for each day you lift. Example right now im doing 5 days a week on a push, pull, legs, upper ,lower style.
    A push day for chest consists of flat bench, incline db bench and cable fly. would you use RPE for all of these or just say the flat bench. Also since on a push day shoulders and triceps are hit as well, do you use RPE for all of those exercises as well?

Another question, since the last two days of my workout week will hit all the muscles from the first 3 days again, do you use RPE for that and go heavy for all 5 days? Like today i did upper, for chest i did flat and incline db presses superset and cable fly drop sets. No third chest movement was done today.

Or do you need to go with a 3 or 4 day lifting schedule in order to use RPE.

Sorry if the questions seem on the dumb ass side, this is a newer concept to me. Although i think im already kind of doing something like this with my compound lifts already.
    Like yesterday when i did squats, i worked up to 315 for 5 reps. a 6th rep was probably doable but would have been shit form. So i stayed at 315 rested a few and did 4 more reps at that weight. Then i dropped the weight down a good bit to i think 225 and hammered out 10 more. That last part doesnt sound like it fits into the RPE thing but i think i get what you were talking about with the fatigue, weight drop. Just not dropping as much weight as i did.

Also as far as my goal of losing body fat, i know building muscle will help get that done, but on top of the body fat loss im also looking to add size as well, will probably have to take care of the first one before working on the second one but you get what i mean.
    Will going with an RPE approach to working out be a good way of achieving all of this. I mean i know getting stronger in turn can mean bigger as well, and i know that as you build more muscle it helps with burning off body fat. But im looking to decrease body fat by a fairly large degree, just thoughts on that as well.
    Last edited by Elivo; 08-02-2018 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    When I used RPE, i only incorporated it on compound movements. You're already doing that now with a sheiko style. So changing it to the RPE method wouldn't be a huge difference IMO.

What you did with squats does kind of fit into the rpe method. You did your work set @rpe 9 for 5 reps. Meaning, you knew 1 more rep would have been bad form, or you wouldn't have achieved it.

Then you did what I interpret as a repeat set, by doing the same weight again. Then a backdown set by dropping weight for more reps.

This is my interpretation of it, and one of a few ways i've experimented with it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalhead1 For This Useful Post:

Elivo (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    When I used RPE, i only incorporated it on compound movements. You're already doing that now with a sheiko style. So changing it to the RPE method wouldn't be a huge difference IMO.

What you did with squats does kind of fit into the rpe method. You did your work set @rpe 9 for 5 reps. Meaning, you knew 1 more rep would have been bad form, or you wouldn't have achieved it.

Then you did what I interpret as a repeat set, by doing the same weight again. Then a backdown set by dropping weight for more reps.

This is my interpretation of it, and one of a few ways i've experimented with it.

OK, good to know, from the reading i was under the impression that the backdown sets were not quite so much of a weight drop but that was how i was reading it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elivo View Post
    OK, good to know, from the reading i was under the impression that the backdown sets were not quite so much of a weight drop but that was how i was reading it.
    What is your impression of the backdowns?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalhead1 For This Useful Post:

Elivo (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    I was guessing from the write up it would be less weight taken off but once I started thinking about it, going from. 315 to 225 may not be that far off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elivo For This Useful Post:

Metalhead1 (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    I like the sounds of this for the ppl days of my workout, I can’t see me being able to go heavy 5 days in a row. I’m going to give this a go next week with all the compound movements since the first 3 days are mostly made up of that other than crap like arm work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elivo View Post
    I like the sounds of this for the ppl days of my workout, I can’t see me being able to go heavy 5 days in a row. I’m going to give this a go next week with all the compound movements since the first 3 days are mostly made up of that other than crap like arm work
    Good luck man.

It's a fun process to dial in. You'll get it

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalhead1 For This Useful Post:

Elivo (08-02-2018)

Thanks
    Good luck man.

It's a fun process to dial in. You'll get it
    Thanks bro

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234