conditioning work (gpp)

Reaction score
hi guys!

thought getting a thread started regarding some of your guys best conditioning excersies would be a nice idea?

not like in treadmill and jogging :32 (20):

some of mine are:
Farmers walks
jump rope ( don't underestimate it!!)
prowler
Olympic weight lifting barbell complexes(brutal!)
hill sprint + tire flip medley ( do this every Wednesday and its pretty hectic)

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I like pulling the sled and swinging the sledgehammer to a tire.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
yup speed rope will kick ur ass!

farmers walks
tire flips
sledge to tire
prowler
sled (made my own out of an old tire)

hell even burpees and wod's are g2g in some cases...

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Most people don't quite understand the difference between conditioning and gpp. In some cases there is no difference. It all depends on what you are preparing for.

Gpp for me is stuff like glute ham raise.

A farmers walk would benefit my preparedness for powerlifting very little. Maybe some grip? I would rather just dl more for that.

Also where I live snake we have natural gas to heat our home with. No chopping wood round these parts ;)

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Most people don't quite understand the difference between conditioning and gpp. In some cases there is no difference. It all depends on what you are preparing for.

Gpp for me is stuff like glute ham raise.

A farmers walk would benefit my preparedness for powerlifting very little. Maybe some grip? I would rather just dl more for that.

Also where I live snake we have natural gas to heat our home with. No chopping wood round these parts ;)

Where I live we have to kill an animal and crawl into it's steaming carcass to get warm, you get used to it.

Reaction score
I would think glute ham would be SPP for powerlifting.

My GPP is walking an hour a day combined with twice a week sled drags while hugging two plates together. Adding some upper body into the sled drag is especially brutal/pukey.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would think glute ham would be SPP for powerlifting.

My GPP is walking an hour a day combined with twice a week sled drags while hugging two plates together. Adding some upper body into the sled drag is especially brutal/pukey.

I'll buy that. Can't speak for POB because he's way more knowledgeable than I am, but sometimes GPP is used as a cover all term for exercises you aren't specifically doing as assistance lifts or the compounds themselves.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
One of the biggest ass-kickers I have ever known is the keytlebell swing.... they will make you puke, hate life, but also make you feel incredibly powerful, which given enough time, you will be.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Are we talking GPP/SPP for powerlifting? If so it needs to be SPECIFIC. Kettle bell swings are great but don't transfer to PL.
Edit: Mainly for SPP. I think people get too wrapped around GPP and waste time and resources on something with less than tangible returns.

Last edited:

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Are we talking GPP/SPP for powerlifting? If so it needs to be SPECIFIC. Kettle bell swings are great but don't transfer to PL.
Edit: Mainly for SPP. I think people get too wrapped around GPP and waste time and resources on something with less than tangible returns.

I completely disagree with you, sorry man... if you look at the fundamentals/mechanics of the kb swing, the movements and power transfer is very similar and synergistic for the deadlift and squat (albeit different, but synergistic non the less). Olympic lifters train with the kettle bell do to its versatility, conditioning, and strength building qualities... I would say it is definitely tangible and useful for PLing.... I personally think as far as conditioning and explosiveness goes, kb swings would be a great addition...

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I could see it as being somewhat effective at warming you up, but I don't see an ounce of transferability. An exercise should either make you a) stronger in the lift, or b) increase the size of the muscles utilized in the lift. I don't think it does either.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe if we're talking about some heavy ass kettle bells. But even with the heaviest ones at my gym which are I think 80 pounds, I don't feel have much use. What's the ideal rep range for strength gain? 4-7ish? 8-12 for hypertrophy? That would have to be a heavy ass kettle bell.

saltylifter

Elite
Reaction score
Sex is the best conditioning.
I try and have sex once a day for at least 30 min to a hr long.
Sometimes less lol

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree with you, sorry man... if you look at the fundamentals/mechanics of the kb swing, the movements and power transfer is very similar and synergistic for the deadlift and squat (albeit different, but synergistic non the less). Olympic lifters train with the kettle bell do to its versatility, conditioning, and strength building qualities... I would say it is definitely tangible and useful for PLing.... I personally think as far as conditioning and explosiveness goes, kb swings would be a great addition...

PL don't use KB like that

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I could see it as being somewhat effective at warming you up, but I don't see an ounce of transferability. An exercise should either make you a) stronger in the lift, or b) increase the size of the muscles utilized in the lift. I don't think it does either.

That raises the question of why do many PLers bother with stuff like sled pulls, etc?
If it's just about strength and hypertrophy, then focus on strength during the big 3 and do some hypertrophy assistance work and be done with it - yet a lot of PLers don't follow this minimalist approach.
Maybe....just maybe...because improving your work capacity, something the kbell swing does VERY well, is a key part to PLing especially if you plan on progressively increasing training volume in a respectable amount of time. It also has a lot of benefits when it comes to neuromuscular stuff, a key part of 1RM testing.

Andy Bolton and, IIRC, Donnie Thompson both incorporate kbell swings into their programmes and last time I checked they're both pretty decent pullers so to say the movement doesn't transfer over to PLing at all would be wrong.

New Threads