531 and injury

Sledge

Reaction score
Hello. I couldn't find anything in wendlers book about injury. I just tweaked my lower back doing deadlifts. I'm fairly certain it's not serious, but I definitely don't want to make it worse. My 531 program is on an excel document. If I continue the regular program with reduced deadlift loads, it will mess up the program unless I make a second document with lower maxes. Should I just do an entire deload week? I'm currently finishing up the second week of the cycle.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
Letting that injury heal is more important than making sure u follow the program. Let it heal and then get back on the program. Lower back injuries are the worst so give it time to heal.

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would lay off them entirely for a couple weeks, but that's just me. Small things can turn into big things real quick. But there are times to push through injuries as well, you just have to know your body I guess.

thqmas

Elite
Reaction score
Just look at it as a "Tactical Withdrawal". I take a week or two off. What I mean is: I am going to the gym, and do what I can, working around the injury. It's better than nothing.

BTW, here's what Wendlers has to say about it:

"Here's the deal: there's a difference between being hurt and being injured. You sound like you're injured. Boo hoo. I'm injured too, but I wish I had your monthly menstrual-like injury problems: I have a shoulder that's so messed up it hurts to even think about jerking off, and as of yesterday, a gimp hamstring. So I'm limping around with a dead arm to boot; I feel like I've been playing football again.

Now it's easy for you and me to sit around and feel sorry for ourselves; it seems that this is very common amongst people of the world. But since I live and breathe training, I can't imagine sitting on my ass for months and just wait for it to get better. Nope. And I'm not going to resort to some pussy workouts, either. I may be injured, but I'm not hurt.

So what's a man to do? Grow a proper set of nuts and train what is trainable...."

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Sometimes a bad back pump will **** up my training. Keep training everything else and just bench a second day of the week.

HydroEJP88

Elite
Reaction score
Back pumps are the worst, they've completely derailed my workout at times.

I would chill out and just keep stretching that way your back doesn't get too tight on the time off.

And like everyone else mentioned just slaughter the other lifts

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Where is your back pain at specifically?

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Every boxer has a plan until he's hit; you just got hit. No one plans on getting injured but like Milo said, take off and return. It's what you do after the injury that is important to meeting those goal you had.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
No one plans on getting injured

I do, that's why for the past five years I don't bench more that 225 squat or dl over 315. Don't need to either, I can get everything I need from those weights.

nightster

Elite
Reaction score
Even a bull steps back before it charges! Good luck!

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
I do, that's why for the past five years I don't bench more that 225 squat or dl over 315. Don't need to either, I can get everything I need from those weights.

That's so untrue. Now if u were 250 lbs jacked and ripped then I'd believe u but you're not. Not being a dick either. Those weights will eventually stop giving u the results you're looking for. I promise u that.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
No one plans on getting injured

That's so untrue. Now if u were 250 lbs jacked and ripped then I'd believe u but you're not. Not being a dick either. Those weights will eventually stop giving u the results you're looking for. I promise u that.

What's so untrue about it ? All I'm saying is that I set a limit on how much weight I lift for the past 5 years because I'm 45 years old & don't want to risk injury by lifting heavy. As far as me getting what I need out of those weights is my own choice. I'm happy with my build and am only trying to maintain it. I just do sets of 5 this and that. No competition or training for anything special.

ECKSRATED

UG BENCH KING
Reaction score
What's so untrue about it ? All I'm saying is that I set a limit on how much weight I lift for the past 5 years because I'm 45 years old & don't want to risk injury by lifting heavy. As far as me getting what I need out of those weights is my own choice. I'm happy with my build and am only trying to maintain it. I just do sets of 5 this and that. No competition or training for anything special.

Ok well then yes if u just want to maintain then it is true.

Injury is something that comes with this hobby of ours. It sucks but it's part of the game. Gotta try to be as smart as we can while doing this shit.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a cop out to me.

Oh yea and something Bundy would say.

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like a cop out to me.

Oh yea and something Bundy would say.

Been lifting weights since 88 and hope to continue lifting for another 10 or 20 years. How the hell is me regulating the amount of weight I lift a cop out ?

If you have an old pick up truck and drive it around with a ton of brick in the bed how long will it last before the bushings go bad ?

Do you think it might last longer with only a half a ton of brick in the bed ?

Logicallly.........My bet is the truck toting around less weight will last longer.

ToolSteel

KingOfSquat
Reaction score
Going 400 miles with a half ton every time you drove would be harder on the bushings than a ton driven 50.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from Z but you're not a powerlifter; that's not intended as a knock on you. It's a fact that the risk of injury goes up as the weight goes up. I think we agree on that.

I always like the statistic that you are more likely to be struck by lightning than to be bit by a shark. There's zero chance of being bit by a shark if you stay out of the water and that's what you're doing. You'll just never be suffer dude, that's all.

DocDePanda187123

fitasfuk50's Operating System
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from Z but you're not a powerlifter; that's not intended as a knock on you. It's a fact that the risk of injury goes up as the weight goes up. I think we agree on that.

I always like the statistic that you are more likely to be struck by lightning than to be bit by a shark. There's zero chance of being bit by a shark if you stay out of the water and that's what you're doing. You'll just never be suffer dude, that's all.

I agree the risk of injury goes up as the weight goes up but it's not the most important contributing factor. Lifting injuries are on the rise but that's likely to be due to the increased popularity of lifting leading to more ppl doing it. As a whole, lifting injuries are lower than almost any other sport out there, especially endurance athletes like marathoners and long distance runners.

J Athl Train. 1999 Jul-Sep; 34(3): 232–238.
PMCID: PMC1322916
Injury Rates and Profiles of Elite Competitive Weightlifters

Gregg Calhoon, MS, ATC and Andrew C. Fry, PhD, CSCS
Author information ► Copyright and License information ►
This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.
Abstract

Objective:

To determine injury types, natures, anatomical locations, recommended amount of time missed, and injury rates during weightlifting training.

Design and Setting:

We collected and analyzed medical injury records of resident athletes and during numerous training camps to generate an injury profile.

Subjects:

Elite US male weightlifters who were injured during training at the United States Olympic Training Centers.

Measurements:

United States Olympic Training Center weightlifting injury reports from a 6-year period were analyzed. Data were expressed as percentages and were analyzed via x2 tests.

Results:

The back (primarily low back), knees, and shoulders accounted for the most significant number of injuries (64.8%). The types of injuries most prevalent in this study were strains and tendinitis (68.9%). Injuries of acute (59.6%) or chronic (30.4%) nature were significantly more common than recurrent injuries and complications. The recommended number of training days missed for most injuries was 1 day or fewer (90.5%). Injuries to the back primarily consisted of strains (74.6%). Most knee injuries were tendinitis (85.0%). The majority of shoulder injuries were classified as strains (54.6%). Rates of acute and recurring injuries were calculated to be 3.3 injuries/1000 hours of weightlifting exposure.

Conclusions:

The injuries typical of elite weightlifters are primarily overuse injuries, not traumatic injuries compromising joint integrity. These injury pattems and rates are similar to those reported for other sports and activities.

Another good read:

http://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/2014/07/08/injury-strength-sports/

New Threads